The Student Room Group

How do you relax when stressed out?

Plenty of people have exams at this time of year, so it seems like a good time to share some tips on chilling out when things get hectic.

What do you do to relax yourself when exams are looming or revision is getting a bit much?

Personally I've always found getting out in the fresh air for some exercise clears the head brilliantly. Just going for a 20 minute run tends to be enough to put things in perspective. How about you?

Scroll to see replies

Taking the dog out for a long walk helps a lot, or running.
I like to schedule in regular treats during revision time! Whether it's another mug of my favourite herbal tea or an episode of House of Cards. I also think exercise is crucial, it blows away the cobwebs.

But I also try to be mindful of my body's natural rhythm.... so every 90 minutes your brain needs time to switch off for 20 minutes so that it can swap hemispherical dominance from left to right to process information and lay down long term memories - that's the bodies natural way of ensuring all they revision stays in your head! If I override it and rely on my stress hormones to keep my going I always have wacky dreams at night and sleep terribly.
Tbh, sex or blaze up. Not saying others should though :ninja:
Reply 4
lay on my bed starfish with my favorite song on full volume
20 hours sleep does it for me.
I think exercise is a good one.

During exam times i like going for a nice run or going to the gym to lift some weights.

Takes your mind off it. Gets you to use up your excess energy and i often find i'll work harder if i know i'm taking a break in an hour to go to the gym. I'll then work harder for the hour and get mroe done overall instead of slowly plodding along all day.
A cup of tea and some biscuits, listening to music. The most important thing is just to take a break, though, so you don't overwork yourself, go through in your head what else you need to revise, write in your essay, etc. so you know what you need to do.
Taking the dog for a walk or if I can't do that play with her for a bit, and playing flute/saxophone/keyboard, even if it's just one piece between topics or something... Means I've got some practice done by the end of the day, too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
sleep//pray//run//music

Pretty much it, really.
:bath: + :call2::call: + :coffee: + :cookie: = :congrats:
Reply 11
A long taxi ride from school, with my headphones on, and chilled music playing. Always gets my head straight and blocks out distractions.
TSR?
Meditate
Reply 14
I'm going to have to second (third/fourth etc) exercise. Nothing works quite like it, especially high impact/fast paced training - doesn't give you time to work yourself up thinking over things too much.
Watching anime :biggrin:
Immediately does the trick.
Reply 16
If having a big session, make tea, I recommend lapsang shochong, as a break. Drink it while working, if you feel like you need another break, go make another tea, assuming you've finished that last one. You cannot get enough tea, as long as you don't take sugar! Works for me.
Reply 17
Have sex then a fat jay should do it!
Listen to music and go for a walk helps a lot
Reply 19
Karate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending