The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Interdisciplinary Science for a 2014 start

Hi all :biggrin:

So I'm applying onto Interdisciplinary science degree at Leeds (my top choice) amongst other science based degrees with foundation years. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect from the interview if I get one?

Help much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
so you haven't heard from Leeds yet? can I ask when you sent your ucas off?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Sending it tomorrow, my referee only just completed my reference ^^
Reply 3
Original post by NCaFeC
Hi all :biggrin:

So I'm applying onto Interdisciplinary science degree at Leeds (my top choice) amongst other science based degrees with foundation years. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect from the interview if I get one?

Help much appreciated :smile:

I've just received an invite to a selection day in February for the Interdisciplinary Science Foundation Programme. Have you heard anything from them yet?

Eekkk! I'm terrified.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lauzc87
I've just received an invite to a selection day in February for the Interdisciplinary Science Foundation Programme. Have you heard anything from them yet?

The interview, the letter explains, is based around a group activity, a group/public debate, a maths test, interview and written assessment. Eekkk! I'm terrified. I have to prepare either a for or against argument, based on the job role I have been assigned.

Not heard anything yet, nail biting to say the least! Gratz on getting an interview though :biggrin: Sounds an interesting way of choosing applicants, I think it's a good thing to have so many activities in the selection process. It means you have a chance to impress more than once :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by NCaFeC
Not heard anything yet, nail biting to say the least! Gratz on getting an interview though :biggrin: Sounds an interesting way of choosing applicants, I think it's a good thing to have so many activities in the selection process. It means you have a chance to impress more than once :biggrin:

Thank you! When I first applied, I didn't realise how competitive a foundation year would be really. Yes, definitely. Have you applied as a mature student? Little worried about the maths test as it's been over 10 years since I sat my GCSE's. :eek: Going to have to do some revision over the next few weeks.
Reply 6
Original post by lauzc87
Thank you! When I first applied, I didn't realise how competitive a foundation year would be really. Yes, definitely. Have you applied as a mature student? Little worried about the maths test as it's been over 10 years since I sat my GCSE's. :eek: Going to have to do some revision over the next few weeks.

I have, I'm 24 (25 in October). My worry is that I only have GCSE's and AS levels (having not completed my A2 for personal reasons). I have been self studying maths and science gcse and a level grades at home but of course do not have any certificate to show for this. I'm worried I will be overlooked for this reason :frown: but it can't hurt to try. From what I have seen on various forums, the maths test is similar to the adult numeracy test (or so rumoured) which may be worth researching on google. Also maybe ring up admissions and they may be able to give you more info on what the test will contain. :smile:
Reply 7
Also can I ask when you submitted your UCAS application? just trying to gauge when I might get a reply (wishful thinking I know) :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by NCaFeC
I have, I'm 24 (25 in October). My worry is that I only have GCSE's and AS levels (having not completed my A2 for personal reasons). I have been self studying maths and science gcse and a level grades at home but of course do not have any certificate to show for this. I'm worried I will be overlooked for this reason :frown: but it can't hurt to try. From what I have seen on various forums, the maths test is similar to the adult numeracy test (or so rumoured) which may be worth researching on google. Also maybe ring up admissions and they may be able to give you more info on what the test will contain. :smile:

Thank you for the tips. It just states that the Maths test will cover GSCS higher topics, so I'll have a look on Google to see what this involves.

I am finishing off my 2nd year of a Level 3 BTEC in Animal Management. Hmm, I suppose it all depends on how many applicants applied, your GCSE results from school and your personal statement as to whether you will be invited to the selection day?

I submitted my application on 23rd December, then received a second application form around 7th January to complete based on income, circumstances that may have affected my studying at school etc. I posted this on Monday and received the invite to the selection day today. I hope you hear something soon.
Reply 9
Original post by lauzc87
Thank you for the tips. It just states that the Maths test will cover GSCS higher topics, so I'll have a look on Google to see what this involves.

I am finishing off my 2nd year of a Level 3 BTEC in Animal Management. Hmm, I suppose it all depends on how many applicants applied, your GCSE results from school and your personal statement as to whether you will be invited to the selection day?

I submitted my application on 23rd December, then received a second application form around 7th January to complete based on income, circumstances that may have affected my studying at school etc. I posted this on Monday and received the invite to the selection day today. I hope you hear something soon.

eek thanks :smile: so do I. I've very much come to the decisin what will be will be and if I don't get an interview I will keep self improving till I do :biggrin: I'm pretty damed determined to do this. I'm guessing I might not hear from them for a while then as mine went off in January. Thanks for all the info
Reply 10
Original post by NCaFeC
eek thanks :smile: so do I. I've very much come to the decisin what will be will be and if I don't get an interview I will keep self improving till I do :biggrin: I'm pretty damed determined to do this. I'm guessing I might not hear from them for a while then as mine went off in January. Thanks for all the info

No worries. Please let me know if you get invited to the selection day! And good luck :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by NCaFeC

I am 26 and in a similar position by the sounds of things, as I have no certificates either. I am studying a BTEC level 3 Diploma in Engineering at my local college, and self studying my English, Math and Science GCSEs.

I sent my application off on the 15th of January so hopefully I will hear back soon.
Reply 12
Original post by lauzc87
No worries. Please let me know if you get invited to the selection day! And good luck :biggrin:

Will do and thanks :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Drowzy
I am 26 and in a similar position by the sounds of things, as I have no certificates either. I am studying a BTEC level 3 Diploma in Engineering at my local college, and self studying my English, Math and Science GCSEs.

I sent my application off on the 15th of January so hopefully I will hear back soon.

Ah yes, hopefully studying a BTEC will give you merits :smile: Will keep my fingers crossed for both of us :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Drowzy

I would imagine that the BTEC would allow you entry onto the course as that's what I'm studying too, but in Animal Management with a predicted grade of D*D*D* (distinction star). I'm not sure what their grade requirements are for the BTEC though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by lauzc87

Eekkk! I'm terrified.

I guess I received my rejection around the time that you got your offer :unimpressed:

I love how I met about 4 of the BS that is access to Leeds criteria and still got rejected.. :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by Humera_x
I guess I received my rejection around the time that you got your offer :unimpressed:

I love how I met about 4 of the BS that is access to Leeds criteria and still got rejected.. :confused:

Seems odd o.O what qualifications did you have when applying may I ask?
Reply 17
Original post by lauzc87
I would imagine that the BTEC would allow you entry onto the course as that's what I'm studying too, but in Animal Management with a predicted grade of D*D*D* (distinction star). I'm not sure what their grade requirements are for the BTEC though.

I am only doing the 90 credit diploma, it sounds like you did the 180 credit diploma. I am predicted D*D* which would give me slightly more than the 200 UCAS points required by the course.

Hopefully I will make it, but worst case scenario is I complete another year of the BTEC .
Reply 18
Original post by Drowzy
I am only doing the 90 credit diploma, it sounds like you did the 180 credit diploma. I am predicted D*D* which would give me slightly more than the 200 UCAS points required by the course.

Hopefully I will make it, but worst case scenario is I complete another year of the BTEC .

Ahh, yes. I think I finish mine with 420 UCAS points? My BTEC consists of 18 modules over two years.

Good luck with it. Hopefully they will offer you an interview.
Reply 19
Original post by Humera_x

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: What qualifications/experience do you have?

Quick Reply

Latest