The Student Room Group

Is a masters really worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by c2uk
As it happens, I've got good connections to Cardiff's Archaeology department

I have a few there myself thanks :smile:

Quote from that page:
"A particular strength of the Cardiff MA in Archaeology is the preparation it provides for students wishing to pursue non-archaeological careers."

An up-front acknowledgement that there's a good chance many of their postgraduates will end up working in unrelated field.

I know of one who's now in Athens and still in employment despite what's going on there at the moment. Though, I can't remember now which programme she actually did, could've been the MSc in Conservation Practice as her job's more about that.

One postgrad, who may not even be an archaology postgrad. As I personally know rather a lot of actual archaeology postgraduates and am familiar with their current employment/research statuses, I think I'll stick with my own rather wider experience.

As a limited sample, there were five people on my Masters course. One is working as an entry-level professional archaeologist, for which her Masters was unnecessary. The rest of us have been unable to find work. One did a one year internship and as they couldn't then find paid work, has applied for funded PhDs in the UK and US. One is doing unpaid volunteer work in the uni's Archaeology department as they can't find paid work, in the hope that this will help them win PhD funding (their partner pays the bills). I'm self-funding a PhD from savings as I couldn't find paid work. The other person couldn't find paid work, couldn't afford to do free interning or self-fund a PhD and has given up and gone into uni admin (no Masters necessary).

I think we can all agree that she should get some work experience under her belt before making any sort of decision about this.

Absolutely agreed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Klix88
As a limited sample, there were five people on my Masters course. [...]

These examples are more a testament of the industry situations as a whole - there simply aren't that many jobs in archaeology.

And still that small sample showed that one of them wasn't denied entry into the profession even though he did a master degree, which is sort of what you originally claimed.
Original post by Klix88
I prefer to think of it as useful discussion rather than arguing - there are clearly a range of different perspectives and experiences and it's helpful for prospective Masters students to consider all the points being made.

Yes, but most of our perspectives and experiences comes from different fields to the OP so what we are saying may not be particularly relevant to her. I could discuss the usefulness of a masters degree in my field with someone from a different field and we could discuss this all day and never reach any conclusions, because there are none: it depends on the field.

I agree that the motivation for doing a Masters needs to be a core part of the decision process. In some situations they're vital, in others they can be irrelevant or at worst, counter-productive. These days, they're so expensive that unless you can afford it without worrying about cost, doing a Masters probably isn't a sensible "holding position" for someone who hasn't quite decided what direction they want to go in yet.

Yes, I agree with this. Doing a masters degree to not be unemployed isn't a sensible way to spend thousands of pounds.

The OP needs to firstly figure out what she wants to do, and if that means taking a year out after she graduates and works menial or part time jobs, that's better than spending on a masters which may or may not help her. She then needs to look closely into what is typically required to get into that area, and then decide from there whether a masters is worth it for her.
Reply 43
Original post by c2uk
And still that small sample showed that one of them wasn't denied entry into the profession even though he did a master degree, which is sort of what you originally claimed.

They left the Masters off of their job application, Their employer doesn't know they have it. In that instance, the Masters was unnecessary for the application and as it could have prejudiced their chances of getting the job, it was omitted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by c2uk
These examples are more a testament of the industry situations as a whole - there simply aren't that many jobs in archaeology.

Which is exactly the point I'm making. The OP needs to carefully consider their chosen field - when they eventually decide on a direction - before investing time and money in a Masters.
Original post by Klix88
It's actually a very common thing in the UK to go straight from undergrad to Masters.

I know, and it's terrible! For more insight, refer to my epic thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2139525

Original post by Klix88
Whether this was originally "intended" I'm not sure - it's not a view that I've ever come across before. Most Masters will not specify work experience as desirable in an applicant, which rather suggests that unis are more than happy to accept applicants straight from undergrad.

I actually am quite sure it was. When I was researching my Master's, I actually saw that work experience, while not being the prerequisite, was desired for most programs. And of course unis are happy to route BA graduates right into Master's programs - once they leave uni they might get caught up in the workplace and not come back to spend another few thousands.
Reply 46
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
I actually am quite sure it was. When I was researching my Master's, I actually saw that work experience, while not being the prerequisite, was desired for most programs.

It must be field-specific then. Given the lack of job opportunities, work experience is very hard to come by where I am. I suspect the majority of Masters courses in my area would collapse for lack of applicants if they used work experience as a "desirable" on their application criteria. It just isn't there.

As a prospective student, you'd certainly have to think long and hard (and presumably have someone else paying the bills) to leave a rare job in order to do a Masters. Plus the low pay makes it very unlikely that you'd be able to save up enough to pay the fees in the first place.

Different situations in different industries I guess.
There are so many factors.

- What is the degree in?
- Where are you studying?
- Is it a prerequisite for your career/do you want to go into research?
- Can you afford it/do you have someone who can fund you through it?
- Will the additional year put you ahead of your Bachelor classmates?
- Are you trying to make up for a lower class degree (i.e. 2:2 or 3rd) - if so, a Masters is not for you! A Masters will NOT wipe out a lower degree or a degree from a per

An MSc or an MA will probably help you more in later life when you have the experience to go with it. As someone above said, every man and his dog has a BSc/BA now, so experience is really key. My MSc hasn't really pushed me up the career ladder too much at the moment as I don't have the accounting experience and additional qualifications (I need to complete another three year course before I can class myself as an accountant, even though I have a BA and an MSc). I don't regret it for a moment, but a lot of people were/are unhappy with my choice.

Please think this through very carefully, you can't decide it on a whim.
Original post by Klix88
Different situations in different industries I guess.

... and different countries. I had no problem finding a well-paying job after my Bachelor's that allowed me to save up plenty to pay for a Master's (and living in central London for a year).
Reply 49
In response to the title of the thread there are a lot of articles discussing the value of masters degrees if you just search in Google :smile:.
For many undergraduates in their final year at university, the spectre of graduation is looming ever closer on the horizon. Some will relish the prospect of hitting the job market, armed with a fully furnished CV and a wealth of experience at their fingertips. But, today every graduate can’t desired job because of competition and unemployment.

Master’s degree is all about the subject expertise and get more opportunities. Someone will do it for higher qualifications like Phd, someone do it to career advancement. So, doing master’s degree is depends on the individuals & their career goals.

So, masters’ degree is always worth but it depends on your present situations and decision is yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending