The Student Room Group

Can't be bothered to eat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Socktor
Sorry to be pedantic but technically you are anorexic - anorexia is a symptom involving a simple loss of appetite; anorexia nervosa is the mental condition in which you experience anorexia due to anxiety about your weight. Anorexia itself can be caused by a lot of things, e.g. most people experience it when they have the flu.

Anyway, do you often eat alone? I ask because my nan sometimes missed meals when we couldn't visit.

Oh, I thought anorexia was the condition. sorry.

I eat either alone or with my boyfriend
Reply 61
I have also experienced this, I second the person who said chillies. In addition whilst eating give yourself distraction from the food, like chatting or watching tv, this way you wont be concentrating so much on what you eat. Set a routine and follow it absolutely. Cook the meals yourself, buy the food yourself, this makes the food more valuable and you won't want to waste it. Eat whilst walking around, this might not be up there for some people but this can really work an appetite. Try chewing gum often, this can increase the acid in your stomach making you hungry. Eat amongst friends and family. Stay away from the computer more often, I've noticed I eat less when I am using the computer more often. Drinking tea can really make you crave things like chocolate, biscuits, crisps, cake maybe drink more tea? Being in and around the kitchen will make food more accessible making the chances of eating more likely, try to be in the kitchen more often. Good luck, I know how difficult this can be.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Oh, I thought anorexia was the condition. sorry.

No appology needed; it's a common misconception. :smile:

Sorry, can't copy and paste. Anyway unless you feel unfortable doing so, try eating with company more often, if your BFs not available try inviting a friend over perhaps? I'm not it'll work though, just throwing out there.
Original post by tehforum
I've had a banana one, that's good.

Check out the reviews on the site as well for each flavour.

I've got the exact same problem as tyrion, could you recommend the best protein shake? Especially as I'm vegetarian and when anxious can't eat that much, I'd really like to order some. I've researched before and it seems confusing, I don't know which site to buy them from either. What's the one protein shake you recommend? :smile:
Sauce, meat, most vegetables (I like root vegetables), eggs, pretty much everything :frown:

weird question I know, but do you like butter by any chance?
Original post by Freier._.lance
weird question I know, but do you like butter by any chance?

No
Reply 66
I get this problem too. I feel like I am under constant stress these days, mainly because of university, and I've lost so much weight because of it. When I am heavier, I feel better.
I get this too, and I find eating makes me hungry. Have you tried anti emetics?
Reply 68
I am not in depression or anything but often I do feel like not eating at all. Once I didn't eat anything for 48 hours to the point where I forced myself to eat at least some fruits. If not, I would have ended up not eating for even longer.

I used to hide food that my sister would bring to me and the next day throw it away because I wasn't just feeling eating it.

If you are not feeling eating something heavier, maybe try to have something light like a fruit or yoghurt :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone else get this? I have depression and anxiety, and lose my appetite when stressed. I ofte forget to eat. But also, I just...can't be bothered to eat. Like I have no motivation to do it. Eating often feels like chewing cardboard and it's such an effort

this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm already quite skinny and it's getting worse (obviously), my boyfrien said the other day "Wtf why do your hips stick through your skin like that?" (not offensively, he'd just never noticed :tongue:) and I feel lethargic a lot. Which just makes me less motivated to eat :frown:

I'm not anorexic, I don't think I'm fat or anything, it's just I don't have an appetite. How can I sort this out? Has anyone else gone through this?

Thanks for advice

First identify why you are depressed, what made you depressed and try to stop it. And stressing out just makes things worse, try to take your mind off things for a while, for example: you could day dream to hep you escape reality. And when you start eating again, you will learn to love food again, it will be hard at first so eat in small quantities then increase them. And love yourself, personally i think you look very pretty. :redface:
I’m currently going through the same thing, I found that going and buying foods that you like that are high in calories and not huge portions makes you more likely to eat them. If they don’t take effort to make I’m more likely to eat them, slowly this has made my appetite bigger and now I am more motivated to eat because I am actually hungry due to slowly building up to eating more. I felt really alone and like no one was going through the same thing but I’ve been reading people’s weight gain stories and I’m really motivated in myself to have a healthy body now. I hope this helps :smile:
I dont have depression of anxiety but im the exact same. Within the last 2 days ago i started eating one meal a day and ive not had much since yesterday. I wasnt going to eat today but my friends were asking if i needed to go to the canteen..so ive only had one slice of pizza today and already felt full. I physically cant eat more than half a whole pizza and i tried to eat my tea as breakfast (just a bowl of chicken nuggets) and struggled to put one in my mouth. The thing is im trying to put weight on because i know im under weight (not anorexic) but i cant bring myself to eat

Quick Reply

Latest