The Student Room Group

I'm so stuck on what A-Levels to choose! Please help!

So I've thought it through so much and I don't really know what I want to do when I'm older or what to study at Uni. I'm most likely going to achieve an American football scholarship to an American Division 1 University. This means that my grades do not to be as good as they would if I was to just apply for the uni. But this doesn't mean that I'm not going to try my hardest at all times!

I love programming (Computer science) and I've thought about going into dentistry. I'm grade 'A' in everything I do apart from Maths (B) and Geograpghy (B). But I'm predicted an 'A' in everything and I think I'll achieve that.

Due to these factors I just want to study what I like doing/ am interested in doing for A-level. These are the six options I've limited it to:

-Maths
-Biology (heard it's really boring at A2?)
-Chemistry
-Philosophy
-Psychology
-Photography

Due to intense training for American football, I do not want to over work and would only really like to do 2 'core' A-levels out of the three I have listed.

I know this is long, but I'm really stressed out right now as I have to hand in my options really soon (I'm in year 11) Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chemistry, Maths and Biology.. then the world is your oyster.
Reply 2
Original post by NutterzUK
Chemistry, Maths and Biology.. then the world is your oyster.

I'm not sure that I could cope with all 3 and training. Do you do any of the 3 and how are they?
Chemistry and maths are a good bet for core subjects, a lot of biological courses will accept chemistry as a substitute.
I've heard chemistry is tough, but maths AS is a breeze if you're semi-decent and the A2 only takes a moderate amount of work to keep up in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths (it's the best subject)
Philosophy (good subject, A2 is boring as **** though)
Psychology
Reply 5
Maths, Biology, Chemistry! I do all three and they're fantastic, I don't find them boring and they're challenging but fun as long as your interested in the subject.
Reply 6
Original post by NathanBignold
I'm not sure that I could cope with all 3 and training. Do you do any of the 3 and how are they?

My A-Levels were a mess as I moved from one college to a 6th form and dropped almost everything when I moved because of a difference in exam boards, I ended up with:

AS in:
Law
Psychology
Accounting

A-Levels in:
Maths
Economics
Computing

I did Maths to A-Level to try to get a place I wanted on a Computer Science course (My sig is very old, i'm trying to find where that can be updated).
Psychology was not at all what I expected. As a keen poker player, I thought it would be about how people think, and actually would be useful to me in everyday life. That was a misconception, it was more about remembering case studies by some very strange characters (Freud, I am looking at you). Law was similar and I didn't enjoy either, this is because I don't like simply remembering things (I am rubbish at languages too), but like to understand how to work things out (Economics, Maths and Computer Science).

From there I was in a good position to start my degree in Computer Science and management, I loved it so much I ended up staying on to do a PhD (Where I am now).

So, my recommendation of maths, physics and biology is purely based on my belief that they will get you into a good university and you will have options open. If you want to then do a photography course.. you can easily choose to do this later on, even at university if you like. If you do it the other way around and do photography and psychology now, you may find it harder to change your mind later on. Unfortunately (I'm not saying I agree), these are often thought of as softer subjects which aren't as serious. That doesn't mean to say they are easier, I found psychology extremely difficult, but that's because I am not suited for it.

My partner wanted to be a vet, ended up doing a Masters in Genetics during which time she did a photography course.. to finally become a Web Developer which she loves! It just shows how you may change your mind, and it's always best to leave these options open. She probably couldn't have done this if she didn't have some very strong A-Level subjects to back her up.

Good luck with whatever you do, and I hope to see you on the TV showing the Americans how to play American Football, it sounds like you're very good at it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by NutterzUK
My A-Levels were a mess as I moved from one college to a 6th form and dropped almost everything when I moved because of a difference in exam boards, I ended up with:

AS in:
Law
Psychology
Accounting

A-Levels in:
Maths
Economics
Computing

I did Maths to A-Level to try to get a place I wanted on a Computer Science course (My sig is very old, i'm trying to find where that can be updated).
Psychology was not at all what I expected. As a keen poker player, I thought it would be about how people think, and actually would be useful to me in everyday life. That was a misconception, it was more about remembering case studies by some very strange characters (Freud, I am looking at you). Law was similar and I didn't enjoy either, this is because I don't like simply remembering things (I am rubbish at languages too), but like to understand how to work things out (Economics, Maths and Computer Science).

From there I was in a good position to start my degree in Computer Science and management, I loved it so much I ended up staying on to do a PhD (Where I am now).

So, my recommendation of maths, physics and biology is purely based on my belief that they will get you into a good university and you will have options open. If you want to then do a photography course.. you can easily choose to do this later on, even at university if you like. If you do it the other way around and do photography and psychology now, you may find it harder to change your mind later on. Unfortunately (I'm not saying I agree), these are often thought of as softer subjects which aren't as serious. That doesn't mean to say they are easier, I found psychology extremely difficult, but that's because I am not suited for it.

My partner wanted to be a vet, ended up doing a Masters in Genetics during which time she did a photography course.. to finally become a Web Developer which she loves! It just shows how you may change your mind, and it's always best to leave these options open. She probably couldn't have done this if she didn't have some very strong A-Level subjects to back her up.

Good luck with whatever you do, and I hope to see you on the TV showing the Americans how to play American Football, it sounds like you're very good at it.

That's awesome information, I'm glad for you and your partner too! :smile: Thank you for the compliment aswell haha.

Did you start coding in your A-Levels? Because I've heard that GCSE and A-Level computer studies is really f-ing boring if you already know how to code decently, is this true? Because I don't want to re-learn what I already know how to do, that's pointless.

I'm thinking: Maths, Chemistry, Philosophy and (Psychology, only because I really want to learn about the brain and why we do what we do.) Although your description has put me off a bit haha (don't feel guilty) I'll just have a look at the syllabus :smile:.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by slothgal
Maths, Biology, Chemistry! I do all three and they're fantastic, I don't find them boring and they're challenging but fun as long as your interested in the subject.

Really, is biology not boring at all? I really hate regurgitating information, this is why I'm intrigued to know, as I've heard this is all you pretty much do in it haha. Although I love my history GCSE, I hate the fact that all we do is regurgitate facts and not apply it to much at all. This is why I'm worried about biology, especially the year 13 syllabus, isn't it really dull?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by bluebeetle
Chemistry and maths are a good bet for core subjects, a lot of biological courses will accept chemistry as a substitute.
I've heard chemistry is tough, but maths AS is a breeze if you're semi-decent and the A2 only takes a moderate amount of work to keep up in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've heard chem's really tough. I'm near an A in maths now and not even half way through year11, do I'm sure I can get an A by the end of my GCSE's. Would you class this as "semi-decent"? :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 10
Maths is fairly easy at AS and Chemistry/Biology are also really good.
I do psychology and its so interesting to learn about the studies and things! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by ravishingrick69
Maths (it's the best subject)
Philosophy (good subject, A2 is boring as **** though)
Psychology

Thank you for the info, why's philosophy in year 13 boring?
Reply 12
Original post by nao.
i started photography late in January, had next to no help throughout the year and still managed to get a B haha, seriously.. an easy one compared to the others im sure, the workload is okay:tongue:

Yeah, I'm quite talented at it and think I could get through it in a breeze with enjoyment too ahha! But, I think it'll be too easy and won't challenge me, which annoys me alot :P

Thank you though, and well done on your B! :smile:
So I've thought it through so much and I don't really know what I want to do when I'm older or what to study at Uni. I'm most likely going to achieve an American football scholarship to an American Division 1 University. This means that my grades do not to be as good as they would if I was to just apply for the uni. But this doesn't mean that I'm not going to try my hardest at all times!

I love programming (Computer science) and I've thought about going into dentistry. I'm grade 'A' in everything I do apart from Maths (B) and Geograpghy (B). But I'm predicted an 'A' in everything and I think I'll achieve that.

Due to these factors I just want to study what I like doing/ am interested in doing for A-level. These are the six options I've limited it to:

-Maths
-Biology (heard it's really boring at A2?)
-Chemistry
-Philosophy
-Psychology
-Photography

Due to intense training for American football, I do not want to over work and would only really like to do 2 'core' A-levels out of the three I have listed.

I know this is long, but I'm really stressed out right now as I have to hand in my options really soon (I'm in year 11) Thank you! :smile:

I'd be careful what you hear about some subjects, a lot of people will make them out to be worse/better than what they are.

I'd say it depends on the sort of person you are as to which ones you should take. If you are really good at remembering lots of detail then Chemistry is a good one. It is kind of logical but also requires you to memorise a lot of definitions, provided you are okay with that though it's a good one to take.

You said you were interested in computer science? Usually university courses (the ones I've looked at anyway) ask for maths, further maths (not at all but at some) and they also seem to like sciences.
Reply 14
Original post by k4l397
I'd be careful what you hear about some subjects, a lot of people will make them out to be worse/better than what they are.

I'd say it depends on the sort of person you are as to which ones you should take. If you are really good at remembering lots of detail then Chemistry is a good one. It is kind of logical but also requires you to memorise a lot of definitions, provided you are okay with that though it's a good one to take.

You said you were interested in computer science? Usually university courses (the ones I've looked at anyway) ask for maths, further maths (not at all but at some) and they also seem to like sciences.

I'm someone who likes to be challenged, understand what I'm learning and why I'm using it and use my knowledge in questions and in situations. I call it useful knowledge haha. I'm definitely thinking of doing maths and a science (or two if I'm up for it, but it depend on my training. I don't want to over do it.) and than one or two subjects that I like the look of e.g Psychology and Philosophy.

What would you advise? Thank you for the info too!
Thank you for the info, why's philosophy in year 13 boring?

im not sure which philosophy you're picking, which exam board etc..
but i picked philosophy and ethics for ocr, and the first year was pretty good, i learned a lot in and out of the classroom as a result of the subject, i got an A in it, which i have to say i'm pleased with, because i was aiming for a B at the beginning of the year.
A2 so far, has been boring as ****, my trial's in 2 days, and I know absolutely nothing as of now. It's just so uninteresting, it's unbelievable. Having said that, it is a solid subject, well respected, and beware, it may change the way you think about things.

Unless of course you pick another exam board or something lol, then the subject might be a little different.
Reply 16
im not sure which philosophy you're picking, which exam board etc..
but i picked philosophy and ethics for ocr, and the first year was pretty good, i learned a lot in and out of the classroom as a result of the subject, i got an A in it, which i have to say i'm pleased with, because i was aiming for a B at the beginning of the year.
A2 so far, has been boring as ****, my trial's in 2 days, and I know absolutely nothing as of now. It's just so uninteresting, it's unbelievable. Having said that, it is a solid subject, well respected, and beware, it may change the way you think about things.

Unless of course you pick another exam board or something lol, then the subject might be a little different.

I think we're OCR too. I love it at GCSE, I'm pretty good too (A/A*) and the teacher who teaches it can make anything interesting. She's the most interesting woman I have ever met, let alone teacher haha. I'll take that in mind and if worst comes to worst, I'll just drop it after year 12 haha :smile: Thank you!
I think we're OCR too. I love it at GCSE, I'm pretty good too (A/A*) and the teacher who teaches it can make anything interesting. She's the most interesting woman I have ever met, let alone teacher haha. I'll take that in mind and if worst comes to worst, I'll just drop it after year 12 haha :smile: Thank you!

pics of teacher
Hi :smile:

As a scientist (going to study dentistry) I am definitely biased! I loved Biology at A Level, but yes, it did get a tad boring at A2. That was only because I had absolutely no interest in muscles or how they worked, so I found this v tedious, whereas my friend who wanted to study physiotherapy at the time absolutely LOVED it. But I would definitely recommend it - it is a valuable A Level to have. I also took Chemistry, and at the time I absolutely haaaaated it, but looking back it was quite interesting at some points. So I would say Biology and Chemistry :smile: they open a lot of doors for you as they are regarded as extremely difficult A Levels.

I would have loved to study Psychology, I think it's sooo interesting! So I think that would be a good choice - some stuff covered in Biology and Chemistry also overlaps (had a friend who studied those three) and she was always saying how they'd covered it in Psychology, but that Biology really helped her understand it more.

As for a fourth.. pick something you enjoy :smile: if your passion is photography - go for it! For me it was Music.. although I wouldn't say it was easy it was definitely a lot more relaxing than working out equations!

So thats Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Photography :smile: they will open up a lot of doors for you and you have quite a wide scope as to what you can apply for! I'd recommend you get work experience now - it will help you decide what you want to do in the future :smile: also, don't feel pressured into applying to university! You can always take a gap year and reapply later once you're sure. There is also the possibility of apprenticeships :smile:

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Reply 19
pics of teacher

xD

Quick Reply

Latest