The Student Room Group

what is the point of putting makeup on for school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Precious Illusions
Yep this. I had a friend who spent 2 hours doing her hair and makeup for school every day :lolwut: It's their choice though :dontknow: Every now and then I'd put on some powder, mascara and lipgloss but generally I refrained from doing so due to acne etc.

I can't even imagine spending that long on it before a night out, never mind before school!
Reply 21
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I can't even imagine spending that long on it before a night out, never mind before school!

:lol: I'm the same, 2 hours maybe if I'm showering/shaving but she literally spend 2 hours JUST doing her hair and makeup. Fake tan mostly. :lol:
Reply 22
I used to wear makeup for school in years 9 to 11 even though Im straight and went to an all girls school. It just made me feel better I guess, same why I wear it most days now. Ive also always looked younger than my age facially which I used to get stick for, wearing makeup helped me look a bit older.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
People can do what they want. I personally don't wear makeup to school because its a waste of time and people I know at school have seen me without it - why make an effort for them?
Reply 24
Why do people wear make up at all? To look nicer, to make people think they look nice, to be more confident in front of people..

School has A LOT of people. Most of them immature and overly judgemental. If you choose to wear makeup, I'd say it was the perfect place.

(Although I never did and still don't)

Smells like BS.
Original post by HPF
Smells like BS.

How? I have sensitive skin, I can't use makeup.
Original post by smd4std
i remember most of the girls in my highschool/sixthform looked like dogs, make up slightly improved it though

You never fail to make me laugh!
How? I have sensitive skin, I can't use makeup.

My Skin is so sensitive , if i itch it once , it goes bright red. It's so bad , if i sweat a lot. My skin has a reaction , and goes itchy.
Reply 28
Original post by Ronove
You don't seem to understand what constitutes legitimate evidence. That person likely knows as much about it as you. Would you be citing that if it was the Daily Mail?

I'm sorry that you don't class that as evidence but if you type it into google i am sure you will find articles that will say. Some agree some disagree. :smile:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
My Skin is so sensitive , if i itch it once , it goes bright red. It's so bad , if i sweat a lot. My skin has a reaction , and goes itchy.

Unlucky.
If it was obvious in my old comp school the teachers would actually take the girls to the toilets and get them to take it off. Of course it would be female teachers taking them. The males were in a rut. There was an incident that in an assembly that the headteacher announced to the girls to stop wearing thongs and low waist trousers as it was distracting the male members of staff.. Um I don't think you should be looking there anyway sir

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unlucky.

Yup , a lot better now though :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Ronove
Highschool is one giant hormone-fuelled popularity contest. Of course some people are going to wear make-up, and of course those people are going to get more attention in general than those who don't.

personally I think people start to put effort in from year 9 and then can overdo it in year 10. By the time it is year 11 they start to wear less due to stress of exams. For example, I know someone who use to wear full on makeup in yr9 & 10. In year 11 she stopped wearing makeup because she simply could not be bothered anymore to wake up in the morning after a night of revision to put makeup on. Now she goes to college, she says that no one cares about what they look like, they focus on their study as they know it's time to get serious. :smile:
Reply 33
Because girls want to look their best perhaps? Why does this bother you so much?
I honestly don't care that I don't wear make up for school, I'm there to learn & I cba to wake up earlier than 7am if its something that will be washed off :dry: plus I prefer my skin clean and clear rather than covered with spots that are cakes w/ concealer and foundation
Reply 35
For same reasons wherever they are wearing it at as well.
Original post by Genius98
unless you have a break out of spots on your face, no one is going to notice that much.

So you shouldn't worry about how you look, unless you have spots? I'd better slap it on then :biggrin:
I agree that a lot of people overdo it though - I wear a bit of makeup to college but not loads. Getting into a habit of wearing full makeup seems pretty boring as your face looks exactly the same for school and a night out :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Original post by coopertroopa03
So you shouldn't worry about how you look, unless you have spots? I'd better slap it on then :biggrin:
I agree that a lot of people overdo it though - I wear a bit of makeup to college but not loads. Getting into a habit of wearing full makeup seems pretty boring as your face looks exactly the same for school and a night out :s-smilie:

That's exactly what I mean, If you put make up every day and you look the same your gonna look no different to a party and you can't WOW yourself
I wear make up for uni and personally it's a confidence thing, im going to perform MUCH better if i'm feeling happy and comfortable. I really dressed up for exams as well just because i feel so much better about myself.
Original post by coopertroopa03

Not at all, There's so many different styles of make up that it's easy to vary it, someone who is good at make up could look totally different every day. I wear the same amount of make up for uni as i do for a night out but i vary the colours and styles so they look nothing alike.

To be honest make up is fun, it's nice to have some time to "preen" yourself and the result is looking and feeling good. I think it only becomes an issue when someone is so heavily dependent on it that they cant leave the house without it, i think that's a shame.If I wake up late or I'm having a lazy day i can quite easily go through the day with no make up but even have to admit i'm not my usual confident self..

Quick Reply

Latest