The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University named #1 for graduate employment (HighFliers research)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theriverboatsong
I'd still like to see Nottingham back in the top 12 in the UK league tables sooner rather than later, back to where they were 10-12 years ago. From what I read in their strategic plan, Nottingham only talks about improving their QS World ranking. Prospective students care more about the UK league tables, and as such Nottingham's poor performance in UK league tables is hurting the calibre of applicant it is getting.

Well, that is a sharp lesson in how insignificant Nottingham regards UK undergraduates in its overall vision.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by nulli tertius
Well, that is a sharp lesson in how insignificant Nottingham regards UK undergraduates in its overall vision.

The next 8-10 years will make or break Nottingham. If they are still languishing in the 20s in UK league tables by then, they will damage their gold plated reputation. They simply have to get back the AAA students in greater numbers like they had in the past.
Original post by Theriverboatsong
They simply have to get back the AAA students in greater numbers like they had in the past.

Easier said than done. Were my former department to up their offer to AAA then I would bet that they would struggle to achieve enough bums on seats for the course to be viable.
Hi , does university of Nottingham have positive prospects with regard to employment of foreign students ( non EU ). I've received and offer to study economics and econometrics within the university however I am seriously contemplating it , if I can't get into the IB sector. (Sorry for bad English )
Original post by rehan1996
Hi , does university of Nottingham have positive prospects with regard to employment of foreign students ( non EU ). I've received and offer to study economics and econometrics within the university however I am seriously contemplating it , if I can't get into the IB sector. (Sorry for bad English )

Nottingham is targeted by Investment banks, some of which parade themselves on campus each year. Economics is very well regarded at Nottingham.
Original post by 3458349058349053
Easier said than done. Were my former department to up their offer to AAA then I would bet that they would struggle to achieve enough bums on seats for the course to be viable.

One way of getting better students in is to give unconditional offers to those predicted at least AAA. The downside is quite a few universities are doing this. It can make the university seem desperate and uncompetitive.
I got 2A* and an A predicted. Still didn't get an unconditional offer
I just feel like you are selling people a lie with these kind of surveys.

I graduated with a First from one of your social science departments. My personal tutor wrote me a reference placing me easily in the top 10 students in the year group. I completed a relevant internship while studying. I engaged extensively in extra-curricular during my time at Nottingham.

Graduating has been like falling off a cliff. I feel as though my graduate prospects armed with this degree are non-existent. I am so bitter at being 20k in debt and feeling like the victim of a Ponzi scheme.

Hi, i know its been two years but has your situation changed now? I have applied for university of nottingham and I'm worried about the graduate prospects too.
Original post by Babeydeka123
Hi, i know its been two years but has your situation changed now? I have applied for university of nottingham and I'm worried about the graduate prospects too.

The poster you quote has a big assessment day on Monday

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3715977&page=3&p=63045517#post63045517

The point here is that the criticism of this High Flyers report is not limited to Nottingham. It applies to all the universities that seek to big it up.
Original post by Babeydeka123

Yes my situation has changed. I am in a paid role with Citizens Advice while also looking for something better. If my NGDP application comes off I’d probably take that.The post above was written at the very peak of the recession. 2.5m were looking for 0.45m vacancies. It was pretty brutal time to graduate. Employers just didn't want to train anyone up. Constantly being told I lacked experience for entry level jobs. A particular low was being told I didn’t have enough experience for an unpaid internship!

I remember being very angry that Nottingham were posting stuff over Facebook about the amazing graduate prospects a humanities degree offered (presumably cos of 9k fees and them being worried about numbers?) at the time that many of my friends were having to ‘sign on’ for £50 a week. The propaganda was completely detached from reality at that moment.

A couple of years on my thoughts are:1) I still think there is an argument for just getting a job straight after A-levels especially if you are thinking about a humanities degree.2) 9% of your earnings over 21k for the next 30 years is not insignificant and I don’t think that 18 year olds have the life experience to make a decision that will follow them when they have two kids and a mortgage.

While proud of my degree I'm not sure that an undergrad degree means much anymore. The masters 'top up' has become a thing. Many exciting politics related jobs seem to want a Masters in social policy/research methods. I don’t have the bank balance for that and have outgrown student life. Equally lots of interesting politics jobs want you to work for free which I find rather bemusing.
(edited 8 years ago)
did you do econ?
I just feel like you are selling people a lie with these kind of surveys.

I graduated with a First from one of your social science departments. My personal tutor wrote me a reference placing me easily in the top 10 students in the year group. I completed a relevant internship while studying. I engaged extensively in extra-curricular during my time at Nottingham.

Graduating has been like falling off a cliff. I feel as though my graduate prospects armed with this degree are non-existent. I am so bitter at being 20k in debt and feeling like the victim of a Ponzi scheme.
Original post by veeraxox
did you do econ?

Politics. Years on from the post you have quoted I am in graduate level employment. I’ve built up some decent savings and over the last few years I have really turned my life around. My mental health is in a much better place 😊

I graduated at the peak of the recession and it was challenging to say the least. It is challenging to go from being lauded as one of the top graduates in your year group academically to signing on next to people with drug addiction issues at the local JCP. I don’t mean that it a judgmental way. Just it is not what Nottingham prepares you for.

Years on from university I'm still a bit sceptical of HE. I think many would be wise to live at home for three years and save for a deposit. One thing I've become acutely aware of during the years since graduation is inter-generational inequality - the fault line at last years GE. The trappings of adulthood do not come easy for our generation and there is something to be said for entering the world of work aged 18.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending