The Student Room Group

Is graphic calculator necessary for Maths (A-Level)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wnee-hee
not true - my college's maths department scares people into buying 70 quid worth calculators, then at the end of the yar badgers them into giving them as a ''thank you'' !

Sorry I didn't realise you had audited their 1990s stock cupboard.
Original post by andrew2209
It says on the front of papers that calculators with the ability to draw graphs are illegal, or words to that effect.

Well I used a graphical Cal (TI 84 plus Silver Edition) in my Edexcel Maths exams last year, it was kinda helpful. I checked graphs, did all the Stats and basically everything was checkable

To the OP,

1. Calculators are recommended for every Maths module (save C1). You could do without a Cal in Mechanics but its gonna be tough and time wasting.
2. It does not up your grades much. But if you master using it - it can save a lot of time.

I used both Cals in my Maths exams. It's pretty useful for Statistics really. You could use it to check stuff
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
(Graphical) calculators are recommended for every Maths module (save C1).

Who by? Not by the Awarding Bodies? Not by most teachers?
Reply 23
I used a graphical calculator for my maths exams, just to check graphs after I'd drawn them and it was really useful in stats, made everything much quicker. My scientific calculator can't do definite integrals either so I used it to check those too.

I'd say if you don't have one it's not a big deal, can be useful to check stuff though.
Original post by Mr M
Who by? Not by the Awarding Bodies? Not by most teachers?

Lol, I didn't mean graphical. If you read the OP it seems like a calculator was only needed for Core modules. So i was equally ambigous...:colondollar:
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Lol, I didn't mean graphical. If you read the OP it seems like a calculator was only needed for Core modules. So i was equally ambigous...:colondollar:

Ok, you certainly need a decent scientific calculator for all modules other than C1.
I use the white one you posted. I'd recommend it strongly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by ImNormal
Firstly, I don't do Stats (I do mechanics) so I believe a calculator is only needed in Core Maths.
I can get a graphic calculator (which is strongly recommended by teachers) for £50, Casio FX-9750GII: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71209Zl03BL._SL1372_.jpg

Or I can get a more advanced scientific one for £17, a Casio FX-991ES PLUS: http://i4.sdlcdn.com/img/product/main/FX_991ES-PLUS_M_1_2x.jpg

I've heard lots of mixed things about whether a graphical one is needed and I don't want to be splashing out £50 if it won't even help too much so wanted to gather a general opinion round here...

I have a graphical calculator and apart from playing games on it, I think I've only ever used it twice to draw graphs :colondollar: there's really not much point in getting one. My fx-991es, however, I use every single day and it's the best calculator I've ever bought. It's so helpful, and a lot of my maths class are actually going to invest in one, since they've seen what it can do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are allowed as long as they don't do cas, I have the 9680 g2, if you spend the time to learn how to use it, it will really help in eXmas, just don't get it the day before an exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
For edexcel graphical calculators ARE allowed.
Don't get one; try to rely on calculators as little as possible.
Graphical calculators are quite useful - saying that it's useless in mechanics, but helpful in the core modules. Both the graphic calculator and the 991ES solves quadratics - the only difference is the price and being able to graphically represent the function.
You'll actually be able to sketch the graphs quicker if you learn the basic skills instead of faffing around with a calculator.
Firstly, I don't do Stats (I do mechanics) so I believe a calculator is only needed in Core Maths.
I can get a graphic calculator (which is strongly recommended by teachers) for £50, Casio FX-9750GII: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71209Zl03BL._SL1372_.jpg

Or I can get a more advanced scientific one for £17, a Casio FX-991ES PLUS: http://i4.sdlcdn.com/img/product/main/FX_991ES-PLUS_M_1_2x.jpg

I've heard lots of mixed things about whether a graphical one is needed and I don't want to be splashing out £50 if it won't even help too much so wanted to gather a general opinion round here...

I've never seen the need for a graphics calculator, and the only time I think it might have been even remotely useful was one chapter of FP1. I do have the second one though and find it really helpful in checking answers are correct for integration, differentiation, summations etc and it also factories things for you which I can't do to save my life! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Hello, which one do you use? And when you say linear interpolation, is that the same thing as linear programming? Where a bunch of inequalities show a feasible region?
Original post by Martina_
Hello, which one do you use? And when you say linear interpolation, is that the same thing as linear programming? Where a bunch of inequalities show a feasible region?

No.
The two things are different.
You shouldn't need a graphical calculator to to draw the constraints in linear programming.

Going back to the old OP......A graphical calculator IMO/IME of teaching is a waste of money. Use a basic casio Fx in the classroom/exam and use desmos/wolfram to graph at home.

We are allowed one for AQA, the only time I ever used mine was for Stats, seeing as we do S1 at AS and M1 at A2 and for the projectiles bit in Mechanics. Other than that, I still have no idea how to use the rest of the calculator and am still doing fine (I just use my scientific one).

I'd just learn to graph and factorise by hand seeing as an understanding is much better than just punching numbers into a calculator and hoping whatever answer it gives you is right. Fortunately, I used my brother's old Casio so didn't have to spend a penny, but if I did, I would be regretting it because I never really use it.

Quick Reply

Latest