The Student Room Group

GCSE Mock Examinations-Is It Worth the Time and Effort?

Is it really worth the time, effort and stress to revise and study hardcore for mock examinations? I ask this because my college and sixth form applications have already been accepted.
To be honest I used my mocks as a way of determining what I needed to revise for the real thing. I didn't do any revision and then I knew the things I could do I didn't need to waste time revising them in the summer, I could concentrate on the bits I didn't know. Too many people waste time revising things they already know because it's comforting. The key is efficiency.
The mocks gave me a bit more confidence. We had some mocks in year 10, and I didn't do so well in a few subjects. The mocks allowed me to rectify my mistakes and be more confident in the Summer. I think its worth it. Because if you get really good marks now, you won't have to do so much in the Summer.

I worked really hard for the Year 10 exams, which meant I didn't have to work so hard in the mocks, so I was able to focus my revision more effectively. I'd revise for the mocks, it will help you in the Summer. And I know what you mean about people only revising what they know to comfort them. Tons of people do it at my school.
I have mixed opinions on the mock tests. Some of the subjects we haven't even finished learning the syllabus yet so it's not very realistic in the sense that it's only testing half of the course. The tests could also easily be done in the class and I know they're supposed to emulate the real thing but does it really matter? We know what an exam hall is going to be like, I think it's too much hassle.

Then again they are a way of showing us what we know and don't know (apart from the stuff we haven't even been taught yet:mad:). It could be a wake up call for some of us showing how unprepared we actually are:biggrin: It forces us to revise and get into the habit of revising. Then again a lot of people I hear talking about them don't seem to have done much revision as they're 'only mocks' and 'don't count towards anything', which I suppose is true.

Dunno:dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest