The Student Room Group

What do you think of the Mancunian accent?

I'm not quite sure whether this is in the right place but....

I was just wondering what people thought of the Mancunian accent. :tongue:

Obviously being born and bred in Manchester and having lived there all my life, I didn't think anything of it. But since moving away to uni, people always comment on how strong it is and always comment on how fast I talk but I've never heard that before. My friends at uni say they like it but other people as soon as they hear me speak they say "Oh no need to ask where you're from, I can tell from your rough accent!" :lol:
It is quite amusing because I didn't think people usually made a big deal out of mancunian accents compared to some others.

Scroll to see replies

Awful.
Original post by Kilroy8
Awful.

What don't you like about it?
Reply 3
Horrendous, that's why Michelle Keegan goes down from a 10/10 to an 8
Reply 4
Kind of neutral towards it. On one hand, I prefer Northern accents over Southern accents, particularly North Western accents. On the other hand, Mancunian accents don't really have any interesting distinguishing features (that I can tell).
It sounds horrible/disgusting and reminds me of poverty
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
What don't you like about it?

I don't know, it's just...bad. Only the scouse accent is worse.
Reply 7
I find it quite attractive it on guys, I quite like Northern accents in general (probs because I'm a Southerner) and feel neutral about it on girls haha I feel kinda self-conscious about my accent and I think the Mancunian accent sounds more like down-to-earth I like it :smile:
Reply 8
Indifferent tbh.
I really dislike northern accents, a like a nice, well spoke southerner.
Reply 10
lets hear an example of a Mancunian accent for those of us not in the UK :tongue:

I've heard a few and some sound much like the southern BBC accent and some have this northern and almost Scottish influence it seems :tongue:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I really dislike northern accents, a like a nice, well spoke southerner.

Well, we would get on like an 'ouse on fire.
Sometimes I think I would sound better with one.
Not a fan of Manc accents - think it's rough sounding. Not sure which English accents I like the best though....A lot of southern accents are too snobbish
Reply 14
Yuck, sounds disgustingly low class.
Makes me laugh, on someone like Karl Pilkington
They are OK but make women sound really manly.
Reply 17
not nice
Reply 18
It sounds so unintelligent and just generally makes you sound poor. I also can't help but associate it with the Gallagher's and they're both tos*ers

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's some that I like and some that I dislike. I assume most people are meaning the stereotypical inner-city rough as chuff Mancunian accent but there's so many variations from area to area cross the region.

I think it's one of those that the further away you go the more people tend to lump them all together. Someone in Kent told me I sound like the people on Corrie once and I only have one of the milder accents. I've also been mistaken for scouse down south. :redface:

Original post by Wilfred Little
They are OK but make women sound really manly.

Is that better or worse than the scouse accent, which makes men sound really womanly? :colondollar:

Latest