The Student Room Group

Concepts of Social Construction of crime

Any ideas really stuck!!

i need to talk about concepts of the social construction of crime to a criminological topic of your choice with contemporary examples.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Since they've been nice enough to let you choose a topic I'd be inclined to think about either behaviour that was criminal in the past (homosexuality, suicide...) but isn't now;

or recently criminalised behaviour (take your pick - something simple like "legal highs" or more complex such as the development of ASBOs / IPNAs (injunctions to prevent nuisance and annoyance).

Either way you can use these examples to show how concepts of crime are socially constructed (both historically and cross-culturally if you like).
Hi,
I was just wondering if you have come up with any ideas for this? I have a similar essay- however it is about social constructionism using examples of youth crime.
Do you have a basic layout for your essay? As i have a 2500 word limit and feel i cannot fit all the concepts i wish to discuss in it such as;
labelling theory (becker etc)
Media hegemoney and deviancy amplification linked with suggestion of media loops
Power differences those who create law for example only concerned with their social values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 3
Original post by Law__Student93
Hi,
I was just wondering if you have come up with any ideas for this? I have a similar essay- however it is about social constructionism using examples of youth crime.
Do you have a basic layout for your essay? As i have a 2500 word limit and feel i cannot fit all the concepts i wish to discuss in it such as;
labelling theory (becker etc)
Media hegemoney and deviancy amplification linked with suggestion of media loops
Power differences those who create law for example only concerned with their social values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can definitely fit it in. Link the theories in together, throughout the essay, as the argument progresses.

Sounds like you have some good ideas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending