The Student Room Group

Am I smart enough to do a degree/have a career in genetics?

I have been considering what I'd like to do in the future and I'm leaning towards doing a BSc in Genetics with a view to building a career in genetics research. However, I'm not sure that I'm really smart enough. I feel like I'm on the borderline and that I might struggle. I got mostly Bs in my GCSEs and my IQ has been measured (by a qualified psychologist) to be 118. Whilst both my grades and my IQ are slightly above the UK average, I'm not sure that they're high enough for this particular career path. I'd therefore appreciate advice from anybody with some expereince of studying genetics. Thanks.
If you ask silly questions like this, then no, you aren't 'smart' enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Interstellar
If you ask silly questions like this, then no, you aren't 'smart' enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is it silly to ask whether I'm intelligent enough to study what is a pretty demanding academic subject? :confused:
Original post by joseon
How is it silly to ask whether I'm intelligent enough to study what is a pretty demanding academic subject? :confused:

Because IQ and grades aren't an accurate representation of intelligence, and whether or not you're intelligent doesn't tell you if you'll be good at genetics

If you're very passionate about the subject and are willing to put in the effort there's no restriction to your success at university and in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Because IQ and grades aren't an accurate representation of intelligence, and whether or not you're intelligent doesn't tell you if you'll be good at genetics

If you're very passionate about the subject and are willing to put in the effort there's no restriction to your success at university and in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well then surely universities are "silly" for using grades and aptitude tests to select candidates?

I am certainly passionate about the subject and prepared to put in the effort, but surely there needs to be some minimum level of natural ability? I don't think it's true that absolutely anybody can achieve what ever they set their mind to, so long as they have passion and a willingness to work hard. That just sounds like cliched idealism tbh.
Reply 5
I think if you work hard in your A-Levels you could get A's, which (I assume) is what you need to get into uni. As long as you work hard and accept that sometimes you may need to sacrifice social nights to study, I'm sure you can get onto the course you want and build a successful career
Original post by joseon
Well then surely universities are "silly" for using grades and aptitude tests to select candidates?

I am certainly passionate about the subject and prepared to put in the effort, but surely there needs to be some minimum level of natural ability? I don't think it's true that absolutely anybody can achieve what ever they set their mind to, so long as they have passion and a willingness to work hard. That just sounds like cliched idealism tbh.

Meh, not really. I have an IQ of 142, yet didn't achieve straight A*'s whereas my friend who has an IQ of 103 did.

Grades are a result of working hard, so achieving good grades demonstrates to universities that you're willing to put the effort in and succeed, which is why they use them.

Aptitude tests are designed for candidates to tackle something outside 'regular' learning, to see how you cope with situations you haven't experienced before. A high IQ doesn't necessarily correlate with a good result on them.

My point is that yes, having a good IQ and grades like yourself is good, but it's impossible to tell how good you'll be at genetics based on those. You say you're passionate, so in my opinion you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Meh, not really. I have an IQ of 142, yet didn't achieve straight A*'s whereas my friend who has an IQ of 103 did.

Grades are a result of working hard, so achieving good grades demonstrates to universities that you're willing to put the effort in and succeed, which is why they use them.

Aptitude tests are designed for candidates to tackle something outside 'regular' learning, to see how you cope with situations you haven't experienced before. A high IQ doesn't necessarily correlate with a good result on them.

My point is that yes, having a good IQ and grades like yourself is good, but it's impossible to tell how good you'll be at genetics based on those. You say you're passionate, so in my opinion you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though I ask silly questions? :tongue:

Again, I'd disagree that grades are purely a relfection of the amount of work put in. I know people who got better grades than me despite putting in far less time and effort, whilst the hardest working person I know got mostly Cs and Ds in their GCSEs. Some people just seem to grasp difficult concepts and retain information more easily than others.

Anyway, thank you for your advice. It has given me much to consider.
Reply 8
its not about how intelligent you are
its about are you really interested in this path and do you really like it?
if yes then i think your passion will drive you to be good at it.
Reply 9
Original post by armark111
its not about how intelligent you are
its about are you really interested in this path and do you really like it?
if yes then i think your passion will drive you to be good at it.

Whilst I'm grateful for your advice and respect your opinion, I don't understand why people seem so eager to pretend that natural ability variation doesn't exist/has no impact on your career options.
Reply 10
Original post by joseon
Whilst I'm grateful for your advice and respect your opinion, I don't understand why people seem so eager to pretend that natural ability variation doesn't exist/has no impact on your career options.

It does exist but unless you're really below average, you shouldn't worry, you're average you can study anything you want.
I wouldn't plan your career path just yet. I presume you are in school, so you should plan your next stage i.e. degree. If you love biology and genetics then go for that as a degree. It's a great subject and leads to many career options. During the course of your degree you should then plan the next stage. You may find that you don't want to do it for a job, or you may find some other aspect of your degree that you want to pursue. Most careers in genetics would involve further postgraduate study, which is worth bearing in mind. Even if you don't pursue this career path, a good quantitative science degree from a good university won't limit your options much.

Universities try not to give offers to people who will struggle in the course. So try your hardest at A level, apply for the best places you can (and a backup), and see what happens!

Both natural intelligence and hard work are important. If a uni gives you an offer, it means they think you have the ability. You then have to prove it with the hard work.
I had mostly B's in my GCSE's and I've done my A-Levels in three years
rather than two and I've got offers for Genetics at university. It is very demanding but as long as you are committed there is no reason why you shouldn't succeed. :smile:
passion> intelligence
when it comes to doing well at degree :smile:
If you have a genuine interest and read every day you should do well
Listen, it's a mix of natural ability and hard work. Also, think about what a levels you want to do. Genetics, as far as I can tell, require high levels/grades in chemistry, mathematics, and, of course, biology. Are these subjects that you're interested in and feel you'll do wellin at college and university. Generally, for top universities, and especially for such a demanding subject they want the best grades so A's/A*'s really. If you're really passionate about these subjects and you're willing to put in the effort, with your IQ and current grades I see no reason why you couldn't get those grades and pursue a career in genetics. If you are still unsure ask one of your teachers for advice and look at colleges would be best in facilitating this dream.
IQ tests are a bit bull**** (in my honest opinion). I can't think of many (if not any) people who have made massive scientific discoveries who were in Mensa.

However in reply to the OP, it won't be easy but nothing worth doing is
Hi,

I have a degree in genetics. I would say the average genetics student - basically the sciences in general - is a little more intelligent than the average student; that's about it.

I know a number of average people who got a degree in genetics, 2:1 or above. They worked really hard for them and that is all.

You don't even have to be that intelligent to get a PhD. If you follow most guidelines, you can achieve most things in life without ever having to think for yourself.

Now, becoming a professor? In almost all cases you will have to be a fair bit above average intelligence.

As for IQ, it doesn't mean nothing, but it also only correlates with intelligence. It doesn't test your emotional intelligence, and it doesn't test your creativity. It is an example of convergent, not divergent thinking.

I've met enough academics in my life to realise that some of them are products of upper middle-class backgrounds and a decent work ethic, completely absent of any intellect.
Original post by joseon

Natural ability does have an impact, but it doesn't have enough of an impact for a career in genetics to be beyond you. Now, the Olympics might be beyond you, and so might a career in art...Being a world-leading geneticist might be beyond you too, but getting a degree in genetics?

I know people who believe in the soul, like Justin Bieber and write those cheesy messages that teenage girls do on their social media, and they STILL got a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending