The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Jobs

Is it possible to get jobs as students in Durham? I think I will probably need one and am starting to worry about money for it. Is it worth coming a few days early to get into the jobs queues prior to other freshers? How many hours are recommended in order to also do well at your degree? What kind of jobs are available? When I visited Durham I didn;t see many job oppurtunities other than bar work. Are shop jobs easy to come by?
Reply 1
Yes it is possible but not necessarily desirable.
Most people I know that 'work' in Durham do so in their college shop/bar with a couple of others working in the nightclubs.
Kev(dobbs) is perhaps the ultimate example of working as a student, he has 3(I think) jobs at various times ranging from helping Yr9 kids to working as a waiter or somesuch.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
There's a Job Shop of some sort run by the union, isn't there?
Reply 3
Kev(dobbs) is perhaps the ultimate example of working as a student, he has 3(I think) jobs at various times ranging from helping Yr9 kids to working as a waiter or somesuch
I think 1 would be much more suitable for me... Maybe Kev can give me some advice on how to get jobs and where to look for them, when he's back from the place he's gone...

There's a Job Shop of some sort run by the union, isn't there?

Ah cool, I'll try that too. Also wondering how much support is there if someone wanted to do an internship from the university?
Reply 4
I don't think he'll be back for a few weeks, have a look through the forum, I know he's listed his many jobs on here at least once.
Reply 5
I don't think he'll be back for a few weeks, have a look through the forum, I know he's listed his many jobs on here at least once.
Ok, cheers.
Reply 6
I just googled this link - looks like you need an ITS login to see available jobs though:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/cas.jobshop/

It must have had a re-vamp. I seem to remember the Job Shop site being yellow when I had a gloss over a few months back. Anyway, it does have a lot of other info on there. Hope that's some help ssmoose :smile:
Reply 7
I just googled this link - looks like you need an ITS login to see available jobs though:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/cas.jobshop/

It must have had a re-vamp. I seem to remember the Job Shop site being yellow when I had a gloss over a few months back. Anyway, it does have a lot of other info on there. Hope that's some help ssmoose

Thanks again. I would have repped you Arkbar, but it seems I have done so too recently... sorry.
Reply 8
Most people I know that 'work' in Durham do so in their college shop/bar with a couple of others working in the nightclubs.

Can any student apply for jobs in the college bars or do you have to have previous experience? I have absolutely no experience in working behind a bar (yet) but would like to give it a go.
Reply 9
It'll likely be pretty competitive but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't let you apply.
From the other thread; 20 hours a week may technically be part time, but on top of lectures, it's not (assuming you're going to be doing a subject with more than a couple of lectures a week).
Reply 11
i got a job in waterstones quite easily (just went round handing in a few CVs) but they said i had to work over the whole of the christmas holidays which i didn't want to do so couldn't take it - it depends how much you want a job i guess!
Reply 12
I've got a job in the college library but you wouldn't get a college job in fresher's week, they fill them all at the end of third term.
Reply 13
Not true....I got a job in my college library in fresher's week....its when they recruit!

Latest