The Student Room Group

Polygamy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
^^ I think people who call themselves noooni are degrading themselves. I base this on my own prejudices about how I think other people feel about situation I know nothing about. Therefore I have the right to interfere and force these disgusting people to change their names.

Same logic!
Reply 21
NDGAARONDI
Many citizens of the United Arab Emirates have several wives who live in separate houses, though this tends to be only the rich who do this though. Other than that, nice country though.

Ah this I know. I was wondering if there was anything particularly strange about how it was practised in the UAE. And yes, it is a nice country :wink: .
kizer
^^ I think people who call themselves noooni are degrading themselves. I base this on my own prejudices about how I think other people feel about situation I know nothing about. Therefore I have the right to interfere and force these disgusting people to change their names.

Same logic!

Ahh you know you love it really:wink:

If a practice suppresses people (in this case women) and in this day in age there is no need for such a practice, shouldnt we say something? By interfere i mean educate, and make sure it remains illegale here, i dont mean go and bomb them because they are 'disgusting'.
Reply 23
There's a tv programme being shown on Channel4 soon, about some guy with 80 wives and over 200 children! :eek2:. That really does take polygamy to a new level!
Reply 24
**noooni**
Ahh you know you love it really:wink:

If a practice suppresses people (in this case women) and in this day in age there is no need for such a practice, shouldnt we say something? By interfere i mean educate, and make sure it remains illegale here, i dont mean go and bomb them because they are 'disgusting'.

The thing is that we are not in a position to say they are 'suppressed'. If adults consensually decide to do something, we can't just say one party is suppressed. It is extremely difficult to prove something is necessarily wrong from moral and social axioms, and impossible in this case, so really it is just a cultural prejudice.

For example, suppose I was a polygamist looking at UK culture. I could say - look at those poor people! They all believe monogamy is natural, so they feel so guilty when they are attracted to other people, and infidelity is endemic in all their relationships! They would be so much happier if they embraced the natural urges to find new partners - and besides, imagine how horrible it would be to be the adult woman living in a house, with no support from other women!

It just comes down to how you yourself are raised. The polygamist society might then decide they needed to 'reeducate' the UK, in exactly the same way the UK thought it had to 'civilise' the world in the nineteenth century.
JonD
So the 'better' men presumably have more children, meaning there are more 'better' children. It almost sounds eugenic. Of course, depending on the scale, it also means there are a lot more men with nothing to lose - great to form an army from.

How exactly did wealthy (rich) lead to 'better'? I definitely don't judge someone's character by how high their stack of bills is :p:

It probably happens as such because the man would have the finance to maintain so many wives.
Reply 26
Well by judge I don't mean like, have judgemental thoughts, I mean act on them.
Reply 27
The Green Manalishi
How exactly did wealthy (rich) lead to 'better'? I definitely don't judge someone's character by how high their stack of bills is :p:

It probably happens as such because the man would have the finance to maintain so many wives.

Well I put it in quotation marks because I know many would have a problem with such an implication. Generally it'd be the more skilled, wealthier, smarter and successful who'd have the chance to have more wives at the expense of those less so. Over a period of time you'd think it'd push these traits up in the population, depending on how inheritable they are - improving the population.
Reply 28
**noooni**
Are you male or female?

Female.
JonD
Well I put it in quotation marks because I know many would have a problem with such an implication. Generally it'd be the more skilled, wealthier, smarter and successful who'd have the chance to have more wives at the expense of those less so. Over a period of time you'd think it'd push these traits up in the population, depending on how inheritable they are - improving the population.

Lol ok. I still wouldn't say someone rich has better skills and intelligence. Take Paris Hilton for example :p: Sorry... :redface:
Judging good/ bad character would, to me, be based on other factors also, but it's a personal view so no issue.
Reply 30
I do get the feeling that it's a way for men to have more sexual partners without "cheating." Whereas the woman gets 1/3 of a man's attention in return.
Molsaka G
Ah this I know. I was wondering if there was anything particularly strange about how it was practised in the UAE. And yes, it is a nice country :wink: .

I consider it strange because of their other laws and would have thought that legal polygamy would be in states which have less strict laws elsewhere.
Reply 32
Well that was my first thought too.

But what if those particular women have fairly low sex drives anyway? Maybe they're only really in the mood once every 3 days...
And I suppose there could be advantages to that kind of family.
Reply 33
Zoecb

And I suppose there could be advantages to that kind of family.

Plus you could focus more time on your children without your husband feeling so excluded (and before we starton what a selfish husand-its a common feeling and one of the reasons why its so hard on a relationship when a child is born)
Reply 34
NDGAARONDI
I consider it strange because of their other laws and would have thought that legal polygamy would be in states which have less strict laws elsewhere.

I suppose from a (socially) liberal European perspective (if this is what you mean) it is strange.
Reply 35
frost105
Plus you could focus more time on your children without your husband feeling so excluded (and before we starton what a selfish husand-its a common feeling and one of the reasons why its so hard on a relationship when a child is born)

What? I'm sorry, I don't get it.
Assuming the husband works, and the women don't (which tends to happen in these marriages), the woman is home with the kids all day anyway.
In the episode of Big Love I watched last night, one of the kids starting acting out and being really mischevious because he wanted to live with his dad, but his mom was the 2nd wife so they lived in a different house. I'm not sure it's better for the kids!
Reply 36
shady lane
What? I'm sorry, I don't get it.
Assuming the husband works, and the women don't (which tends to happen in these marriages), the woman is home with the kids all day anyway.
In the episode of Big Love I watched last night, one of the kids starting acting out and being really mischevious because he wanted to live with his dad, but his mom was the 2nd wife so they lived in a different house. I'm not sure it's better for the kids!

But they still see they're fathers, kids play up all the time and find malicious things to say to they're parents all the time, they just find the situation to use.
2 men... 1 cooking 1 cleaning--> Yes
1 man more women...--> NO

LOL
Let me also say that in accordance with my above explanation that polygamy should be practised within the laws of the land i.e. In UK it's illegal so it shouldn't be practised by hook or crook :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending