The Student Room Group

Degree Grade - Being close to the next grade boundry.

Hi, I am in my third year of University.

I have worked out roughly what my grades will be and I will be on border line of a first. (I think I will get an overall grade between 69%-72%).

I am wondering if anyone knows if any universities offer any kind of system where if people are close to the next grade boundry, if they can move you up? My nightmare is finishing with 69.4% and still being classed as a 2:1 - so close but so far!

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply 1
Usually when u finish with 69% it's bumped to a 1st (well in my Uni anyway)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
As other people have said, I've heard of people being given extra marks when they're on this boundary. That doesn't sound very legit though, and not something you can ask for I imagine. And anyway, I know someone who got 68% and had a parent die during his time at uni, and they didn't bump his grade up. So it depends really. Just do your best to ensure the first, I'd say.
Reply 3
Each uni/faculty is different with marginal cases. They may use a range of metrics to figure out whether to bump you up. For me, I could finish with, I think, 68% and as long as the majority of my modules, by weighting/credits, were 1sts that's what I'd get.

Extenuating circumstances, extreme outliers dragging down your score, and the outcome of an interview with tutors may be factors.
(edited 10 years ago)
Most Unis give a 'viva' (oral exam) to borderline students, especially between a 2.1 and a First, in order to assess them for any 'bump up' potential.

Each Uni does this differently. Talk to any of your tutors, they'll know what the procedure is at yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending