The Student Room Group

Essays in first year.

I'm in my first year studying French and Italian with Translation Studies, for the latter I have a 3500 essay due in on Thursday, but I also had a 1500 word essay due in in November, so my question is how normal is it to have 5000 words worth of assessment considering that this is the first semester of an udergraduate degree and I'm not at Oxbridge.

P.S. I followed a link that said General University Discussion to get to this forum which now seems to be called Educational debate but I'll post here anyway.:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by rac1
I'm in my first year studying French and Italian with Translation Studies, for the latter I have a 3500 essay due in on Thursday, but I also had a 1500 word essay due in in November, so my question is how normal is it to have 5000 words worth of assessment considering that this is the first semester of an udergraduate degree and I'm not at Oxbridge.

P.S. I followed a link that said General University Discussion to get to this forum which now seems to be called Educational debate but I'll post here anyway.:smile:

I'd say its unusual to have a 3500 word essay in first year but its not unusual to have that many words to write, in fact that's quite a low amount- in my first semester of first year I had 3 modules, 2 of them had 2 essay of around 2,000-2500 words each and one had just one 2000 word essay plus an 800 word essay plan = so a minimum of 10,800 words and probally more.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I'd say its unusual to have a 3500 word essay in first year but its not unusual to have that many words to write, in fact that's quite a low amount- in my first semester of first year I had 3 modules, 2 of them had 2 essay of around 2,000-2500 words each and one had just one 2000 word essay plus an 800 word essay plan = so a minimum of 10,800 words and probally more.

Thanks, unfortunately I didn't make it 3500 :frown: I just think that what with exams for French and Italian it was a bit much to be expected to do this, considering people who don't do TS only have one 1500 word essay for their culture modules.
Reply 3
I had 3x3000word essays, a 1000word essay this is on a construction course and also 2 exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending