The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE Interview @ Hull (presentation task)

Hi everyone, not sure if this is in the right place as this is my first post on tsr but bare with me... Basically I've got am interview at Hull next week for a place on their primary PGCE course.. I'm over the moon! Only thing is you have to do a 4 minute presentation on any topic. I have no idea what to talk about, anyone had their interview and can tell me what others in their group did?? Or anyone got any ideas / want to share what they're doing x
Reply 1
Original post by Natalie0703
Hi everyone, not sure if this is in the right place as this is my first post on tsr but bare with me... Basically I've got am interview at Hull next week for a place on their primary PGCE course.. I'm over the moon! Only thing is you have to do a 4 minute presentation on any topic. I have no idea what to talk about, anyone had their interview and can tell me what others in their group did?? Or anyone got any ideas / want to share what they're doing x

Do you have to 'teach' the panel something? Or can it be a 4 minute presentation on anything?

I'd suggest maybe presenting something that you're genuinely interested in, so a skill you have or something based around a hobby? Essentially they just want to see if you're confident, articulate and enthusiastic rather than being particularly interested in the subject you chose. My tops tips would be to practise your presentation out loud, as four minutes goes really quickly. If you can (and you're not too embarrassed) then do the presentation to someone else and get their feedback. Make sure you smile and have lots of eye-contact. Good luck! It'll all be over before you know it!
Reply 2
ah thanks i'm so nervous! you don't have to teach anything it's just a formal presentation about a topic of your choice, the hardest part is nailing a subject to talk about. Nerves are making me think anything I come up with will be boring compared to everyone else.
Reply 3
Hi Natalie0703
I'm on the PGCE at Hull this year so was in your position this time last year!
As bellylaugh says they just want to see that you can speak loud and clear and articulate yourself.
People did their presentations on literally anything - how to bake a cake, the planet Pluto, recycling, a charity they felt passionate about, sign language, ballet dancing....the list goes on. Choose a subject that interests you because then your passion and enthusiasm will shine through and make sure you're well rehearsed. Everyone's nervous and they'll all be routing for you. Make sure you fill the full four minutes, they don't mind you going over but do mind if you fall short by quite a bit which a couple of people did. If it does fall short then think on your feet and ask questions or something to fill the time.
The tests are fine and the schools are really friendly.
Good luck, I hope it goes well and if you're successful you'll love the course!!
Reply 4
ah thanks i'm so nervous! you don't have to teach anything it's just a formal presentation about a topic of your choice, the hardest part is nailing a subject to talk about. Nerves are making me think anything I come up with will be boring compared to everyone else.

How's the preparation going? Have you chosen a subject to present yet? Good luck next week!
Reply 5
Thanks ☺️ I've been trying to prep as much as possible, I've settled on a topic finally but I've been given a warning from tsr for discussing it so better zip my lips!
Hey I am starting the primary pgce September! So happy! I see you're currently on the course now and was wondering if you could tell me about it? I'm really excited but also nervous to begin' xx
Hi Natalie0703, I see that your interview was a few weeks ago now, were you successful? I had an interview last week and waiting for a response is killing me! How long did it take for them to get back to you?
Reply 8
Hi guys for some reason I've only just got the notifications from this thread :confused:

Natalie I guess you have heard from Hull now hope it was good news!!

& Hannah I am on the course for September too can't even put into words how happy I am!! Have you met anyone else starting Sep 14?

xx
Oh good well done!! I don't know anyone that is on the course I was starting to get panicky I didn't know anyone! Keep checking for Facebook groups and things but can't see any for our course... We should add each other, I'm really excited to start! Do you know any other people ? X
Hi guys for some reason I've only just got the notifications from this thread :confused:

Natalie I guess you have heard from Hull now hope it was good news!!

& Hannah I am on the course for September too can't even put into words how happy I am!! Have you met anyone else starting Sep 14?

xx
Reply 10
Hi, I have an interview on Tuesday. I was wondering about the written task. What was it like? are there any specific questions they ask?
Reply 11
I have to present a hobby or a skill and also do a small teaching task im screwed as i dont know a skill or hobby i could do
Hi everyone, how did the interviews go? Mine is 2nd Dec :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending