The Student Room Group

Depression and University

Is Depression at university a common thing?
As I keep feeling like quitting University because I'm not guaranteed to get a job after it. Plus it's making me really moody and sulky. I keep drinking a lot of alcohol, this is perhaps the only thing making me happy about university
Someone please help!
Reply 1
Original post by buster43

Given the obstacles people face at uni, e.g. moving out, making new friends/relationships, enormous workloads, pressure to have a life plan etc. I wouldn't be surprised, considering the criteria for depression is very broad.

As I keep feeling like quitting University because I'm not guaranteed to get a job after it.

Hardly anyone is guaranteed a job after uni; you have to work to earn it. Obviously some people are guaranteed because of nepotism or connections, but that's not really an achievement.

I keep drinking a lot of alcohol, this is perhaps the only thing making me happy about university
Someone please help!

Actually it isn't. All it's doing is shutting down sections of your brain and poisoning, rendering you disinhibited and carefree. It's also a slippery slope to be taking and won't do you any favours,especially if you become dependent on it just to face the day. As for help, do you have no close friends or family you can talk to? And obviously you should probably go and see a doctor and/or your uni's counselling and support service, they'll be best equipped to provide you with help.
Reply 2
awwwwwwwwww! hope you get better <3
As I keep feeling like quitting University because I'm not guaranteed to get a job after it. Plus it's making me really moody and sulky. I keep drinking a lot of alcohol, this is perhaps the only thing making me happy about university
Someone please help!

I think it is relatively usual, but go and see your doctor. Also, careful about your drinking - sadly my dad died after getting on the slippery slope of alcohol :frown:

Hope you feel better soon :smile:
It is a huge change in a person's life, and major life change is something that often triggers depression in those with a disposition. That's not to say that everybody will get depression at university, nor does it mean that everybody can identify a specific trigger - but there are many that can, and this kind of overhaul (which is really what it is when you think about it) can often either make or break a person, at least until they learn ways of dealing with it.

Quick Reply

Latest