The Student Room Group

What do people usually get in exams?

Say in a typical four-year course, what percent do people get in each year and what is the trend like?

For example, do students usually find their percent scored increased year on year (as they get more knowledgeable, decreases (as work gets harder) or does it differ for everyone?
I think it differs for everyone. Certainly at my university the full range of marks are used in marking an exam, so people get everything from fails to firsts. I believe most people fall between 50-75% though.

It's hard for me to comment year on year, as my second year exams were a very different format to most of my first year exams. In my first year, the majority of exams were testing knowledge, so mostly short answer questions and multiple choice, sometimes with one essay to write as well. We also had an exam which tested our skills in interpreting scientific papers. In second year, all my exams were entirely essay based, having to write 3-4 essays over two hours. I think it's much easier to get very high marks on the type of exams I had in first year. I was happy with the marks I recieved in second year, but I think writing a timed essay is much harder to get very high marks from.

So for my course many people's marks decreased in second year. I imagine in a course where exam styles were the same each year, some people would increase their marks (through improving exam technique/motivation/knowledge) and some people's would decrease (due to content being harder/trickier concepts to understand/a higher level of work being expected).

I know you didn't ask about coursework, but I felt coursework was more harshly marked in second year, so the same might be true of exams.
Bump. Would like to hear more of these experiences.
of course it differs for everyone man, come on.

but this is how you should go about it IMO:

1st year (worth 0%): 40%, anything percentage point above is a waste of time. people on TSR may tell you different, "oh but it helps you prepare for future years bla bla bla" absolute cornflakes. enjoy year 1 whilst you can.

2nd year/3rd year (worth 20%/30%): start trying a little now, obviously try and get the best grade you can, but anything between 55-65 is happy days

4th year (worth 50%): BUSINESS TIME. past 3 years you've had a nice work/life balance and you've actually made the most out of uni. but that has come at a cost... of smashing 4th year. aim for a 1st
Original post by Brian Butterfield
of course it differs for everyone man, come on.

but this is how you should go about it IMO:

1st year (worth 0%): 40%, anything percentage point above is a waste of time. people on TSR may tell you different, "oh but it helps you prepare for future years bla bla bla" absolute cornflakes. enjoy year 1 whilst you can.

2nd year/3rd year (worth 20%/30%): start trying a little now, obviously try and get the best grade you can, but anything between 55-65 is happy days

4th year (worth 50%): BUSINESS TIME. past 3 years you've had a nice work/life balance and you've actually made the most out of uni. but that has come at a cost... of smashing 4th year. aim for a 1st

It really does differ from uni to uni, at my uni the first 2 years aren't counted and then the second two years are equal. We also don't have a percentage marking scheme so it works on how many credits you have at each classification. Basically, if you have 50% of your credits at first class, at least 25% at 2:1 and the other 25% no less than 2:2, then you get a first. That means if you work your ass off in third year to get all firsts, you've pretty much guaranteed yourself a first without having even started fourth year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending