The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Hello,
I'll be studying veterinary biosciences this year and was just wandering if I should have received a list of books/course materials that I need to purchase before the course starts?
Thanks,
Meg
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by Becca7_xxx
Do people really not have guests sleep over?!!
My friends won't be able to afford to stay at one of the guest rooms for over £42 a night!
Do people seriously not ever have people crash at theirs?

Hi Becca,

What Dan said below is correct - people do sometimes have guests to stay. It's just a case of being considerate to your housemates, so for example not having someone to stay every night and not making lots of noise. As mentioned, this isn't the official stance on this subject, but it generally the case!

Best wishes :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Meg94xx
Hello,
I'll be studying veterinary biosciences this year and was just wandering if I should have received a list of books/course materials that I need to purchase before the course starts?
Thanks,
Meg

Hi Meg,

If you haven't been sent anything yet, we'd advise you not to worry. Often you're not told which books to buy until you start, as they can be available in the library, online or you might want to share with your course mates to save money.

Best wishes :smile:
Original post by AdventX
Hello there, when do we receive more information regarding starting uni or about our accommodation through the post?

Hi there,

You should have received emails with this information - we're trying to go paperless as possible! This will have given you a link to the welcome website (see here) and then the accommodation office will have sent you information about where you'll be living / what to do now. :smile:
Okay, thank you!!
Original post by Strawberry_
Hello. I understand that fairy lights are not allowed in University accommodation due to fire safety. However, are battery operated fairy lights allowed?

Also, are lamps provided in Band D, Manor Park accommodation (I'm in FC 117-124).

Thank you :smile:

This is literally the most important question for me! Please say Fairy lights are fine.. Bringing them anyways
Original post by Strawberry_
Hello. I understand that fairy lights are not allowed in University accommodation due to fire safety. However, are battery operated fairy lights allowed?

Also, are lamps provided in Band D, Manor Park accommodation (I'm in FC 117-124).

Original post by Abbiecrittenden
This is literally the most important question for me! Please say Fairy lights are fine.. Bringing them anyways

You are correct in saying that Fairy Lights aren't allowed due to the fire risk - in terms of battery operated ones, it would be worth bringing them and asking your warden during your induction whether they'll be ok.

In terms of a desk lamp, there should be one provided in your room, but if you wanted to bring your own too then that's fine. :smile:

Not sure if you've seen it, but we've put together a little packing checklist which might be worth a look at: http://ow.ly/B4D1F
Reply 507
I have just firmly accepted my place in the MSc Business Analytics and have pre-registered. How can I gain access to the timetable etc? When i try to log in to the timetable portal with my username from the application process it denies it. Do I need a different set of information and if so how do I get it?
Original post by SamiC
I have just firmly accepted my place in the MSc Business Analytics and have pre-registered. How can I gain access to the timetable etc? When i try to log in to the timetable portal with my username from the application process it denies it. Do I need a different set of information and if so how do I get it?

Hi there,

Sorry you're having problems with this - your timetable should be accessible from there. If you fill out this web form, someone should be able to see what's going wrong :smile:
Original post by University of Surrey
Not sure if you've seen it, but we've put together a little packing checklist which might be worth a look at: http://ow.ly/B4D1F

How essential is having your National Insurance Number? I think my document with it written down was thrown out :s-smilie:
Original post by Tautime
How essential is having your National Insurance Number? I think my document with it written down was thrown out :s-smilie:

You'll often need a National Insurance Number when you're applying for jobs, so it is fairly important to have (not just from a coming to University point of view). If you've applied for student finance, your National Insurance Number is something you usually have to enter on their form, so you might find your number there!
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi everyone. Our official TSR profile is now active and we’re here to answer all your questions about Surrey, whether you’re thinking of applying, going through the application process or already studying here. Ask us about anything - from course details to Surrey’s nightlife - and we’ll find the best person to help you!

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread, or if you prefer you can send us a private message. We’ll aim to get back to you ASAP but please allow a few days for a response.

Hi I'm just wondering if I took a year out after As levels, would this look bad? I failed biology but don't want to resit, would this affect my chances if I wanted to apply for midwifery? Next year I'll be doing different a levels which will be health & social, sociology and third a level as well which I haven't decided yet. It's a fast track course so as and a2 are all in the same year, will this be ok to apply with?

Thanks!
Original post by Katey_Finch
Hi I'm just wondering if I took a year out after As levels, would this look bad? I failed biology but don't want to resit, would this affect my chances if I wanted to apply for midwifery? Next year I'll be doing different a levels which will be health & social, sociology and third a level as well which I haven't decided yet. It's a fast track course so as and a2 are all in the same year, will this be ok to apply with?

Thanks!

Hi Katey,

As long as you've met the entry requirements for the course with your final grades, this shouldn't be an issue. If you're taking a year out you can also use this time to gain some experience that will help to enhance your application.
Does anyone have a rough idea of when first years will finish? Is it around mid May / end of May?

Because I need to order a train season ticket, and on the Surrey website it says semester 2 finishes on June 19th 2015, but I heard that first years finish earlier?

Original post by Holly014
Does anyone have a rough idea of when first years will finish? Is it around mid May / end of May?

Because I need to order a train season ticket, and on the Surrey website it says semester 2 finishes on June 19th 2015, but I heard that first years finish earlier?

Exams typically finish around the middle of June for most courses. Lectures will stop a few weeks before that, but it varies a bit course to course, and year by year.

If you contact someone from the admin for your faculty/department they should be able to give you a more accurate answer, or the Surrey team here may be able to get an answer from them for you.
Original post by Dan1909
Exams typically finish around the middle of June for most courses. Lectures will stop a few weeks before that, but it varies a bit course to course, and year by year.

If you contact someone from the admin for your faculty/department they should be able to give you a more accurate answer, or the Surrey team here may be able to get an answer from them for you.

Okay, thank you very much!
Do you know the email address for contacting the Sociology department?
Original post by Holly014
Okay, thank you very much!
Do you know the email address for contacting the Sociology department?

It does vary each year so it is difficult to give an exact date - you could try emailing them at [email protected], or tweeting them @surreysociology :smile:
Hello, I'm in Band A accommodation at Hazel Farm. I'm self-catered and was wondering if there are dishwashers in the kitchens there. Also, I read that there is a communal TV room. Is there one inside every house, one per court or is it on the university campus?
Are there any communal areas in the halls in stag hill campus? (other than the kitchen) specifically battersea court
Original post by (oxy)moron
Hello, I'm in Band A accommodation at Hazel Farm. I'm self-catered and was wondering if there are dishwashers in the kitchens there. Also, I read that there is a communal TV room. Is there one inside every house, one per court or is it on the university campus?

As far as I know, no accommodation has a dishwasher in the kitchens. To be honest, I've never heard of any student accommodation having a dishwasher!

Original post by Dalilsp
Are there any communal areas in the halls in stag hill campus? (other than the kitchen) specifically battersea court

Each court has a court reception. Battersea has quite a large one, there's a couple of common rooms, TVs, pool table, that sort of stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending