The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

I absolutely loved Surrey when I visited and applied for adult nursing. I currently have an offer from Surrey to study adult nursing but a recent change of heart has led me to no longer want to do nursing. I have looked into your English literature courses and was wondering whether it is likely Surrey would consider me for English literature rather than nursing if I rang them? Could you advise me what to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by Alex6678
Hi, I'll be apply for surrey soon and so I've been looking at accomodation options. A friend and I were looking at getting one of the shared band F rooms at Manor Park but were wondering:
1) are all the shared band F rooms together?
2) if so, do mostly mature students, young students (18-20 years) or a mixture of ages live there?

Hi Alex6678,

The majority of the Band F rooms at Manor Park are all in the same block (in the same building as the reception). The Band F rooms are studio flats with one double bed, and as a result these are usually shared by couples and small families (of a range of ages). There are some photos of these rooms here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surrey-Residence-Experience/482429005102853#!/media/set/?set=a.664736216872130.1073741835.482429005102853&type=3

Although you and your friend are welcome to apply for a Band F room together, you might find that it would suit you better to apply for a duplex room on the main campus in these you will get 2 single beds on a split level and you will share a bathroom with one other duplex room. This will also work out a lot cheaper for you. For more information on these rooms have a look here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/roominfo/bandarooms/index.htm and there are some more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surrey-Residence-Experience/482429005102853#!/media/set/?set=a.654747134537705.1073741831.482429005102853&type=3

When you apply for accommodation you can rank your choices so you can put these down in order of preference. If you and your friend do decided to apply together make sure that both of you include the full name and student number of each other to make it clear who you want to share with. This will help the accommodation office when they make the allocations.

I hope this helps let us know if you need any more information! :smile:
Hello i am also going to be applying for Surrey uni soon an i am also looking into the Couples accommodation. I have been with my girlfriends for over 3 years, we have had several serious conversations about accommodation at surrey and have spoken in depth with families about the situation, and we have acquired a strong feeling about getting a couples accommodation together bother sharing the costs and all the money situations, with help from the families, we have also looked into the possible things we could do if we where to break up and are satisfied with the choice. Although we have looked into this strongly and have a strong feeling over it, i still need to know some information for my personal use so please could you help with with answer about:

Is the couples accommodation mainly taken up by more mature students?

Is there a high amount of students that apply for the couples accommodation when they join surrey and therefore is the accommodation hard to get as there is a very limited number?

many thanks :smile:
Original post by Zhepsh
Hi,
I received an offer for English Literature (three years) and was just wondering how many applicants will be accepted onto the course?
I'm also attending the Applicant's Day on Saturday and was wondering whether I will have any sort of interview at some point during the day?
Thank you

Hi Zhepsh,

We will have around 50-60 students on the course, although this varies from year to year.

I hope the Applicant day went well!
Original post by northernlass
Hi!

I absolutely loved Surrey when I visited and applied for adult nursing. I currently have an offer from Surrey to study adult nursing but a recent change of heart has led me to no longer want to do nursing. I have looked into your English literature courses and was wondering whether it is likely Surrey would consider me for English literature rather than nursing if I rang them? Could you advise me what to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi northernlass,

Great to hear that you liked Surrey so much :smile: As I’m sure you will have seen English Literature has very different entry requirements to Nursing. I would definitely suggest that you call the Admissions team to discuss this with them. You can get them on (0)1483 68 2222
Original post by AntonybdLong
Hello i am also going to be applying for Surrey uni soon an i am also looking into the Couples accommodation. I have been with my girlfriends for over 3 years, we have had several serious conversations about accommodation at surrey and have spoken in depth with families about the situation, and we have acquired a strong feeling about getting a couples accommodation together bother sharing the costs and all the money situations, with help from the families, we have also looked into the possible things we could do if we where to break up and are satisfied with the choice. Although we have looked into this strongly and have a strong feeling over it, i still need to know some information for my personal use so please could you help with with answer about:

Is the couples accommodation mainly taken up by more mature students?

Is there a high amount of students that apply for the couples accommodation when they join surrey and therefore is the accommodation hard to get as there is a very limited number?

many thanks :smile:

Hi AntonybdLong,

It sounds like you’ve had a very serious think about this, which is great. Generally the couple rooms are a mixture of younger and mature students. Also the studio flats at Manor Park are not always occupied by couples.

The couple accommodation is very limited and therefore it is in very high demand. If you wanted to discuss this further you can give the Accommodation Office a call on (0)1483 68 2466 and talk through your options. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by JessicaJS
Hello :smile: I have an offer for the biochemistry with a year in industry (yaya :biggrin:) and I was just wondering how strict they are with offering you a place if you just miss your offer? Also, how many places are their for the course, just so that I know how big the lectures are.
I'll come to an applicant open day soon :smile: I really hope I'll like the uni as much as I do now without having seen it yet as I'm thinking of making it my firm :colondollar:

That was exactly what i was going to ask too :smile: haha.

I suppose and in relation to the answer that the Surrey Person gave, subjects like your Biochemistry and other like my Biomedicine and so on would inter collate in some way?

Either way, Good Luck! :smile:

E x.
Original post by ellisday26
That was exactly what i was going to ask too :smile: haha.

I suppose and in relation to the answer that the Surrey Person gave, subjects like your Biochemistry and other like my Biomedicine and so on would inter collate in some way?

Either way, Good Luck! :smile:

E x.

Hi ellisday26,

If you have a look at the course pages you can see which modules cross over both courses :smile:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/biochemistry/2014
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/biomedical-science/2014
Reply 48
Hello,
I've started looking for courses for dietetics and nutrition and I was wondering if an NHS funded course means all fees are paid for or if a fraction is paid for and if I would still receive this coming from Northern Ireland? Also, how many students are accepted into the dietetics and nutrition course?
Reply 49
Hello, I got an offer to study International Hospitality and Tourism Management however I have changed my mind now and I would love to study Politics and Economics now but as I look at Politics and Economics degree entry requirements and GCSE Mathematics at grade A is required however I don't have A grade at GCSE I just wonder or its possible that Surrey would consider me? Thanks
Reply 50
Hi,

I have applied to the university of surrey for accounting and finance however, I am a musician; I play Piano and Saz. I was wondering if I could get the chance to use the musical facilities or attend some of their workshops just to stay in touch with music. Will I be allowed to practise my instrument in the practise rooms. I mean what will i be allowed to do even though I am not going to study music.

Thanks
Original post by Megan17D
Hello,
I've started looking for courses for dietetics and nutrition and I was wondering if an NHS funded course means all fees are paid for or if a fraction is paid for and if I would still receive this coming from Northern Ireland? Also, how many students are accepted into the dietetics and nutrition course?

Hi Megan17D,

Just to let you know I have passed this on to the relevant department and will get back to you ASAP :smile:
Original post by muzika
Hello, I got an offer to study International Hospitality and Tourism Management however I have changed my mind now and I would love to study Politics and Economics now but as I look at Politics and Economics degree entry requirements and GCSE Mathematics at grade A is required however I don't have A grade at GCSE I just wonder or its possible that Surrey would consider me? Thanks

Hi muzika,

I would recommend getting in touch with the admissions team to discuss this with them. You can email them on [email protected] or give them a call on 01483 68 2222
Original post by Megan17D
Hello,

Hi Megan17D,

The NHS funding for our Nutrition & Dietetics course means all tuition fees are paid for. In addition students also receive an NHS Grant and can be considered for an NHS Additional Bursary which is means tested. To be eligible for funding applicants must be either a UK citizen, an EU National or have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, so being from the UK you are eligible for funding. You can also find more information about the NHS Bursary here: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx

The number of students accepted on to the course might change slightly each year, but to get an idea we currently have 40 students on the course.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.
Hi, I have an offer from Surrey to study Media Studies but I have not had the chance to properly visit the uni - does anyone know what the facilities are like for Media students?
Thank you!
Original post by smithlsophie
Hi, I have an offer from Surrey to study Media Studies but I have not had the chance to properly visit the uni - does anyone know what the facilities are like for Media students?
Thank you!

Hi smithlsophie,

If you would like to come and visit the university we run guided campus tours every Wednesday at 1pm. You can book on to one here: www.surrey.ac.uk/campustour

You can also email [email protected] and let them know when you are coming, then they will arrange for someone to meet with you and tell you a bit more about the Media Studies programme.

Alternatively, if you can’t make it to Surrey then just drop [email protected] an email with any questions that you have about the facilities and they will be able to help :smile:
Original post by memz1994
Hi,

I have applied to the university of surrey for accounting and finance however, I am a musician; I play Piano and Saz. I was wondering if I could get the chance to use the musical facilities or attend some of their workshops just to stay in touch with music. Will I be allowed to practise my instrument in the practise rooms. I mean what will i be allowed to do even though I am not going to study music.

Thanks

Hi memz1994,

There will be plenty of opportunity for you to stay in touch with your music at Surrey. Although unfortunately the performing arts facilities are reserved only for students on these courses, there are many other options available to you. For example you will have the opportunity to book a room with a piano for you to practice in (through your programme management team). There are also a number of societies that you could get involved in, see here for more information: http://www.ussu.co.uk/clubssocieties/societies/Pages/arts.aspx

As well as the options above there are also a number of musical ensembles that are open to all students to audition for. The ensembles rehearse once a week and perform three concerts per year. You can find more details here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/arts/music/ensembles/

I hope this helps!
Reply 57
Hello, I received an offer and accepted as my firm choice Bsc International Business Management (with a year in industry) :biggrin: and I was just wondering how many applicants will be accepted onto the course? :biggrin:

Another query I have regards the application for scholarships for this year, when are we able to apply, as I do the IB, I will receive my results in July. Could I apply for the scholarship at that point? or is there a window for scholarship applications? Thanks :smile:
Reply 58
hi, i ve been made an unconditional offer for the course Msc retail Management in surrey university. somehow i feel this course is not so famous so i was wondering what is the student capacity of this course every year.?? also i was looking at cranfield uni"s retail course as well. so could you compare the 2 courses for me,
thank u:smile:
Original post by Maxiskillz
Hello, I received an offer and accepted as my firm choice Bsc International Business Management (with a year in industry) :biggrin: and I was just wondering how many applicants will be accepted onto the course? :biggrin:

Another query I have regards the application for scholarships for this year, when are we able to apply, as I do the IB, I will receive my results in July. Could I apply for the scholarship at that point? or is there a window for scholarship applications? Thanks :smile:

Hi Maxiskillz,

We accept approximately 270 people into our Surrey Business School each year, but the numbers on each programme can vary each year by course depending on the applications we receive.

All our bursaries and scholarship schemes for 2015 are currently under review and details will be made available as soon as possible. However, in 2014, the deadline for most scholarships was in the Autumn term (once you had received your results and started university)

I hope this helps and congratulations on your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest