The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hello, I was just wondering what you consider 'science subjects' as some schools would say geography or home ec are sciences while others would not, thank you :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi Bionic_Fighter,

Due to a recent announcement UK Universities are currently unable to accept TOEFL scores I’m afraid. You can find more information here: http://www.ets.org/toefl/important_update/update_toefl_uk

We recommend that you take the IELTS test instead, all the requirements for which you will find on our MA course pages here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate

I just got this e-mail:

Dear Colleague:

In an effort to keep you informed of activities related to TOEFL® testing, we are writing to provide an update on the status of the U.K. Home Office suspension of ETS's license.

As you know, investigations into the visa application process in the U.K. have found evidence of fraud at two test centers where ETS's TOEIC® tests are conducted. The ETS license was suspended, and because the license covers both programs, the suspension applied to the TOEFL test as well as the TOEIC test. Since the suspension ETS has worked closely with the Home Office to provide information and a remediation plan for TOEIC visa testing. Because discussions are progressing but not yet concluded, the Home Office has decided to extend the suspension, which applies to both the TOEFL and TOEIC tests, until 1 April 2014.

The following remains true:

TOEFL testing continues to be available in the U.K. for non-visa related purposes.

TOEFL scores still may not be used for visa purposes by students already in the U.K.

TOEFL scores continue to be acceptable for students from everywhere else in the world.

We will continue to keep you updated as more information is received. This message is being sent from an unmonitored mailbox. Questions may be directed to [email protected].

Best regards,

Eileen Tyson
Executive Director, Global Client Relations

Sandy Bhangal
Associate Director, Global Client Relations, U.K.

Educational Testing Service
Rosedale Road
Princeton, NJ 08541

...therefore i suppose TOEFL scores are accepted for those who are not interested in visa-related purposes?
Original post by Bionic_Fighter
I just got this e-mail:

...therefore i suppose TOEFL scores are accepted for those who are not interested in visa-related purposes?

Yes we should be able to accept TOEFL as long as it doesn't fall under the conditions stated on the website (including visa applications).

You might find it helpful to talk to our Admissions Team so that you can discuss more details about your specific requirements. You can drop them an email at [email protected]
Thanks for that. Damn i've already bought the TOEFL book but thank god i didn't pay for the test. :frown:

General question: do we have more chances if we apply now for MA programs (rather than in June) or it doesn't matter?

Hi again, sorry, I also forgot to mention about your other question! As soon as applications are open for postgraduate programmes we receive applications and give offers. Once you've made your decision on what and where to study, it would be sensible to make an application, especially as a large number of students tend to apply around April time.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Megan17D
Hello, I was just wondering what you consider 'science subjects' as some schools would say geography or home ec are sciences while others would not, thank you :smile:

Hi Megan,

Science subjects can mean a number of things at different universities and indeed by subject area. From our previous conversation I take it that you are interested in our BSc Nutrition/Dietetics course? In which case we require a Biology A Level and an additional science, which is preferably Chemistry. This is because our Nutrition/Dietetics programme teaches you to apply nutritional science in order to promote health and to treat medical conditions.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/nutritiondietetics

I hope this helps, and of course let us know if there is anything else you would like to know!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
Hello, I got an offer for Biomedical Science from Surrey.. I’m from Ireland and I was wondering how many places/intakes are there each year? Thank you!
Reply 86
Hi there, I was told by a Surrey Student Advisor that no dedicated postgrad accommodation exists. Is this correct? I don't fancy living with first year undergrads, so what would be my options if I applied to Surrey?
Original post by gen88
Hi there, I was told by a Surrey Student Advisor that no dedicated postgrad accommodation exists. Is this correct? I don't fancy living with first year undergrads, so what would be my options if I applied to Surrey?

They were wrong.

First years and second years can be put together, but final years have their own flats, and postgraduates have their own ones as well.

Maybe what they meant was that it's not a specific area. The actual flat that each year group are in can change each year, but as a postgrad you definitely won't ever be put in with first years.
Reply 88
Original post by Dan1909
They were wrong.

First years and second years can be put together, but final years have their own flats, and postgraduates have their own ones as well.

Maybe what they meant was that it's not a specific area. The actual flat that each year group are in can change each year, but as a postgrad you definitely won't ever be put in with first years.

Yeah, thought they must've been wrong. Cheers for that!
Original post by ridaim
Hello, I got an offer for Biomedical Science from Surrey.. I’m from Ireland and I was wondering how many places/intakes are there each year? Thank you!

Hi Ridaim

Thank you for your enquiry.

We don't have an exact set number of places, but we usually would expect 110-120 students to enrol each year.
Hi,
I received and accepted an unconditional offer for Physics at Surrey. I did this about 1 or 2 weeks ago and have received confirmation from UCAS. Did you know when Surrey will acknowledge this and when I will be able to apply for accommodation?
Original post by michaelhemmings
Hi,
I received and accepted an unconditional offer for Physics at Surrey. I did this about 1 or 2 weeks ago and have received confirmation from UCAS. Did you know when Surrey will acknowledge this and when I will be able to apply for accommodation?

Congratulations on your offer fantastic news! You should be receiving a letter from the Head of Department at the end of the month, but until then you can start applying for accommodation here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/applying/index.htm
Any other questions, please ask.
Original post by University of Surrey
Congratulations on your offer fantastic news! You should be receiving a letter from the Head of Department at the end of the month, but until then you can start applying for accommodation here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/applying/index.htm
Any other questions, please ask.

Thanks for getting back to me but I'm still unsure on the accommodation. How do I find out my University ID number?
Reply 93
Original post by michaelhemmings
Thanks for getting back to me but I'm still unsure on the accommodation. How do I find out my University ID number?

Login at sits.surrey.ac.uk and your ID number will show up on the upper right corner of your screen! Hope this helps!
Reply 94
ive got an offer from offer from your university on BEng Aerospace Engineering.
i have a vague idea about the job prospects, as in is it easy for a fresh undergrad to get a job in this industry or do i have to complete postgrad then apply for job? as in do need to have job experience to apply for job in companies like rolls-royce and airbus or do they hire fresh under or post grads?

and which makes is easy to compete to get a job in the aeronautical field , studying both under-graduation and post-graduation in aeronautics OR under-graduation in mechanical and then post-graduation in aeronautical?

and is it possible to change my course to BEng mechanical engineering?
Original post by omar27

and is it possible to change my course to BEng mechanical engineering?

Yes, the first year is universal for mech, aero and medical I believe so you only have to decide which to go into after year 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I`ve applied before 15th January deadline, and this university is the only one who still have not replied, how usual is that?
I`ve applied for International Politics, and i`m an international student.
How long does it take to receive a response regarding your application (offer) ?

Also, since TOEFL is accepted for those outside UK who don't need visa, could you please give us the equivalent scores of TOEFL
Original post by anthemofjo
Hi,
I`ve applied before 15th January deadline, and this university is the only one who still have not replied, how usual is that?
I`ve applied for International Politics, and i`m an international student.

Hi
Please can you let me know your application number so that we can investigate.
How long does it take to receive a response regarding your application (offer) ?

Also, since TOEFL is accepted for those outside UK who don't need visa, could you please give us the equivalent scores of TOEFL

Hi

It depends on the course you’ve applied for and when you applied, but we try and get back to you as soon as we can. Are you waiting on a response from us? If so, let me know your application number and we can investigate.

TOEFL:
Internet Based Test 92 overall with a minimum of 23 in Speaking and 22 in each of the other 3 elements

Quick Reply

Latest