The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

I'm kinda confused about taxes, I understand as a full time student living in student accommodation I don't need to pay any, but do we still need to register with the Guildford council? I've tried to email them about joining but haven't gotten a response yet
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by someone24
I'm kinda confused about taxes, I understand as a full time student living in student accommodation I don't need to pay any, but do we still need to register with the Guildford council? I've tried to email them about joining but haven't gotten a response yet

Hello,

If you are living in campus accommodation you won't need to do anything :smile: Once you move to private accommodation you will need to apply for council tax exemption but until then you don't need to worry about it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Emma
Original post by University of Surrey
Hello,

If you are living in campus accommodation you won't need to do anything :smile: Once you move to private accommodation you will need to apply for council tax exemption but until then you don't need to worry about it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Emma

Awesome, thanks for the reply!
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi everyone. Our official TSR profile is now active and we’re here to answer all your questions about Surrey, whether you’re thinking of applying, going through the application process or already studying here. Ask us about anything - from course details to Surrey’s nightlife - and we’ll find the best person to help you!

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread, or if you prefer you can send us a private message. We’ll aim to get back to you ASAP but please allow a few days for a response.

Hi, do you have job fairs and what sorts of employers turn up? Also do you help students in securing internships every summer? I plan to go into finance after uni
Would I be allowed to bring my multitool with me? It's really handy and I've had it for years so it sort of has a degree of sentimental value.

If you want to know the model, it's a Leatherman Sidekick.
It's just a really useful thing to have for little tasks and it'd be annoying if I had to leave it behind.
How do we find the accommodation online induction programme? Are we meant to get an email because I haven't got one yet?
(edited 7 years ago)
what are your geography courses like?
Original post by student12222
what are your geography courses like?

Hello,

I'm afraid we don't have any Geography courses.

Emma
Original post by someone24
How do we find the accommodation online induction programme? Are we meant to get an email because I haven't got one yet?

Hello,

You will be able to access the e-induction when you log into your accommodation account (https://ams.surrey.ac.uk/)

You should have received an email about this so maybe just check your junk folder to make sure that it hasn't been filtered into there. The accommodation team will be sending out a lot of emails so it might be that they have been staggered over a couple of days :smile:

Emma
Original post by UsernameUsernam3
Would I be allowed to bring my multitool with me? It's really handy and I've had it for years so it sort of has a degree of sentimental value.

If you want to know the model, it's a Leatherman Sidekick.
It's just a really useful thing to have for little tasks and it'd be annoying if I had to leave it behind.

Yes of course :smile: We have nothing in the policy against bringing this kind of tool with you (as long as you use it sensibly which I'm sure you will!)

If you're interested in reading the residents guide which has details of what you can and can't bring have a look here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Residents_Guide_2016_2017.pdf

Emma
@University of Surrey when I went to the open day, I was assured if I achieved AAAB+ at AS (which I did) and predicted AAA+ (which I am) - I would get an offer for economics with the requirements of AAA. Is this true?
Original post by jamestg
@University of Surrey when I went to the open day, I was assured if I achieved AAAB+ at AS (which I did) and predicted AAA+ (which I am) - I would get an offer for economics with the requirements of AAA. Is this true?

Hello,

Our offers are usually made in terms of grades, and as you say the current entry requirements for BSc Economics is AAA. This course also has some GCSE requirements - see here for details: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/economics

I'm afraid I am not in a position to confirm whether offers will definitely be made or not, but if you would like to discuss this with one of our admissions advisers then please email [email protected].

Emma :smile:
Original post by ATokyoDrifter
My room is university court 48/'x-x' and I'm wondering what the 'x-x' numbers mean. Ps I'm using 'x-x' for security purposes - there are actual numbers there.

Hello :smile:

That will be the floor and the room number - so you'll be University Court, House 48, floor x, room x.

Emma
Hi there,

The email account that I have used on my Surrey application has corrupted and will no longer let me access the emails. Is there a way of getting all the emails I have received from Surrey being sent to another account? I'm in desperate need of help as I can't print out the documents I need for accommodation and registration etc.

Many thanks
Reply 1754
Hi!

Could you please tell me the deadlines for paying the tuition fee for an undergraduate degree (2016) and also if the tuition fee can be paid in several payments?

Thank you very much for the information!
Original post by Emmsybums
Hi there,

The email account that I have used on my Surrey application has corrupted and will no longer let me access the emails. Is there a way of getting all the emails I have received from Surrey being sent to another account? I'm in desperate need of help as I can't print out the documents I need for accommodation and registration etc.

Many thanks

Hello!

I think we've already chatted about this on Facebook, but if not let me know - I don't want to double respond!

Emma
Original post by ATokyoDrifter
Hi, when will it be possible to purchase membership to the Surrey Sports Park? I'm currently getting an error when trying to access the checkout page.

Hello,

I've just gone through the membership process and everything is working for me (although I stopped before putting in payment details!) so it might have been a glitch in the system. Give it another go today and if it's still not working then get in touch with the Sports Park - either give them a call on 01483 689112 or email them on [email protected]

Emma
Original post by DSR98
Hi!

Could you please tell me the deadlines for paying the tuition fee for an undergraduate degree (2016) and also if the tuition fee can be paid in several payments?

Thank you very much for the information!

Hello,

If you're paying your tuition fees yourself then you will get an invoice for this within a couple of weeks of starting your course - this will give details of payment deadlines. You will be able to pay your fees in instalments, they are usually broken down into 3 payments. More details of payment options can be found here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/currentstudents/money/fees/Pay%20your%20fees%20online/

I hope this helps :smile:

Emma
Hi, on the Tuesday of induction week for computer science students there are programming tests. What kind of test is this, I assume it's to gauge our existing programming knowledge (for me this would be very little :s-smilie:).
Hey I was just wondering about the arriva student card. Shall i apply for one now or do you think I should wait till university starts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending