The Student Room Group

Internet gap for poorer families - pretty unacceptable IMO

I was reading this story on the BBC that says 100,000 children's education is suffering because their families can't afford the internet access they need:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25729973

While I can believe this is happening in the poorer areas of the country, it's pretty unacceptable for this country to sit by and let that happen - it's a serious problem.

Isn't it crazy that the internet service providers don't just give it to these families?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Isn't it crazy that the internet service providers don't just give it to these families?!

Hmm... do you know how much that would cost for hundreds of thousands of families? (Serious question, I CBA to work it out but it'd definitely eat into their capital somewhat!) :cookie:
This is a very serious problem and it definitely is a huge disadvantage, especially to those in school, at any level of education. It's tricky asking the providers to just give it away, it would be expensive, but there needs to be something done to help.
Reply 3
these people need to club together and buy a computer with internet access and share the cost between maybe four or five families. it would maybe involve giving up a pack of cigarettes a week or a six pack of lager.
Reply 4
Original post by Alpha brah

Hmm... do you know how much that would cost for hundreds of thousands of families? (Serious question, I CBA to work it out but it'd definitely eat into their capital somewhat!) :cookie:

Original post by buchanan700
This is a very serious problem and it definitely is a huge disadvantage, especially to those in school, at any level of education. It's tricky asking the providers to just give it away, it would be expensive, but there needs to be something done to help.

But given there will be millions of households who do pay the full amount, I'm sure there would be something they can do. I wonder if they offer discounted services to people who need it? I'd be surprised if they don't.

Original post by the bear
these people need to club together and buy a computer with internet access and share the cost between maybe four or five families. it would maybe involve giving up a pack of cigarettes a week or a six pack of lager.

I like the idea of sharing access - that is a good suggestion.
Reply 5
Original post by Captain Jack
But given there will be millions of households who do pay the full amount, I'm sure there would be something they can do. I wonder if they offer discounted services to people who need it? I'd be surprised if they don't.

I really don't think they do TBH :dontknow:

I thought the mods always shared access? :sexface:

:getmecoat:
Reply 6

in the olden days the Labour party was all about encouraging poor people to co-öperate and develop self-reliant communities. Nowadays they are all about encouraging passive victimhood.
Neighbourhood internet schemes would be simple and affordable and would encourage people to emerge from their sad telly-lairs and meet their neighbours.
Reply 7
No coz then the ISPs will go broke and pass the higher charges to the working public
Reply 8
I was reading this story on the BBC that says 100,000 children's education is suffering because their families can't afford the internet access they need:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25729973

While I can believe this is happening in the poorer areas of the country, it's pretty unacceptable for this country to sit by and let that happen - it's a serious problem.

Just being the Devils Advocate here but why should internet service providers just give it out to these families? If they can't afford it then surely they can't have it and thats just the way the world works, just because some people are deprived or something doesnt mean that it should be handed to them on a plate.

Remember just putting forward an arguement for the other side, not saying that I agree with said statment above.

Didn't really need the snide comment there, but yes, a shared connection sounds like a good idea, and would be cheaper :smile:
Reply 10
Didn't really need the snide comment there, but yes, a shared connection sounds like a good idea, and would be cheaper :smile:

what snide comment ?
what snide comment ?

'Might need to give up a pack of fags or a six pack of beer'. Was there any need? No big deal, just came off a little bit snide Imho, sure you didn't mean it.
Reply 12
'Might need to give up a pack of fags or a six pack of beer'. Was there any need? No big deal, just came off a little bit snide Imho, sure you didn't mean it.

i did not mention fags. that would be completely politically incorrect.
Bear's idea sounds good.

:hmmm:

...okay, cigarette, otherwise known as fags. Not politically incorrect at all, we're not in America :confused:

Anyway yeah, sorry if I confused you there, just that comment seemed a little underhanded.
Reply 15
Libraries have computers for people to use for free?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
They must have some expensive-ass internet. Back at home where the Internet is already ridiculously expensive for what you get, it's still only a fiver a week.

The last place I saw that didn't have broadband had the whole town band together to try and pay for it, which they managed to. And that was a good 4-5 years ago now.
Also, what happened to libraries?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
...okay, cigarette, otherwise known as fags. Not politically incorrect at all, we're not in America :confused:

Anyway yeah, sorry if I confused you there, just that comment seemed a little underhanded.

my point was that if people can afford unnecessary & harmful indulgences then why should they not sacrifice them if they need to pay for something useful like their children's education ?
my point was that if people can afford unnecessary & harmful indulgences then why should they not sacrifice them if they need to pay for something useful like their children's education ?

I'm not saying that they shouldn't make sacrifices, but there was still no need for that comment, it had nothing to do with the original question! It really annoys me when people get so enraged by the poor, even then working poor, having any pleasure in life. Because they're stuck in an awful situation, they must have the bare minimum to survive and that's it. But what is life without a few pleasures? Nothing, you would go insane.

Again, not saying that people shouldn't give it up, and I agree with your shared access idea, but it just pisses me off that every other sentence when talking about the poor, people in relative poverty, people like you find it funny, or necessary or whatever, to make snide, nasty remarks. Absolutely no need.
Reply 19
I'm not saying that they shouldn't make sacrifices, but there was still no need for that comment, it had nothing to do with the original question! It really annoys me when people get so enraged by the poor, even then working poor, having any pleasure in life. Because they're stuck in an awful situation, they must have the bare minimum to survive and that's it. But what is life without a few pleasures? Nothing, you would go insane.

Again, not saying that people shouldn't give it up, and I agree with your shared access idea, but it just pisses me off that every other sentence when talking about the poor, people in relative poverty, people like you find it funny, or necessary or whatever, to make snide, nasty remarks. Absolutely no need.

if you want to see genuine poverty you should go to India. the poor people there do not have flat screen tellys and weigh 25 stone.
moreover India has well established community internet schemes, which allows the bright and enthusiastic poor children to acquire valuable skills.

Quick Reply