The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying..?

I really hope to apply to Oxford and other good universities next year but I'm only taking three AS subjects (plus critical thinking), next year I plan on dropping critical thinking and doing the EPQ and a latin GCSE. I was taking chemistry in place of critical thinking but I dropped it as I didn't enjoy it. Is it worth me applying next year without taking up an extra AS next year as I want to avoid this if possible?

Scroll to see replies

Subject at Uni?

Main A level subjects?

PS. Critical Thinking isnt accepted by most Universities for any subject.
Reply 2
What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 3
If you dropped chemistry because you didn't like it, Oxford would expect you to pick up another AS instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think Oxford say they require a 4th AS, although practically everyone without extenuating circumstances will have one.

Other top unis like UCL usually want a 4th AS. Check on the uni websites for the course you want to study and see if you need a 4th AS excluding critical thinking.
I would recommend that you do a fourth AS that isn't critical thinking.

What were your GCSE grades like? Oxford is known for looking at them, whereas Cambridge places more faith in AS UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most other applicants will have at least 4 AS grades in more accademic subjects. However, many factors will be used to make a decision, not just the number of subjects taken. What are your other subjects and predicted grades for them?
I want to study maths, I'm doing maths, further maths, classical civilisation and critical thinking. I predicted 3As and a B but am going for 4 As. My GCSE grades were abysmal, 1 A*, 1 C and more As than Bs (with the B in critical thinking). Although I was under the impression that oxford didn't ask to see your GCSE grades unless you were doing med or vet?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Everywhere sees your GCSE grades.

I would seriously consider doing physics as next year, and applying to Cambridge instead if your as UMS is high enough (90%+)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't like applies maths and I was considering taking biology next year, particularly as with my subjects plus EPQ and latin GCSE I doubt I'll be able to get a physics as to the standard I would like. Also, I though Cambridge were the ones who were really picky about grades whereas oxford preferred people who were more suited for the courses?
Original post by ag-ness monster
I really don't like applies maths and I was considering taking biology next year, particularly as with my subjects plus EPQ and latin GCSE I doubt I'll be able to get a physics as to the standard I would like. Also, I though Cambridge were the ones who were really picky about grades whereas oxford preferred people who were more suited for the courses?

Oxford give a lot of weight to excellent GCSE grades. Cambridge place more emphasis on very high UMS at AS (and A-levels if completed).
I want to study maths, I'm doing maths, further maths, classical civilisation and critical thinking. I predicted 3As and a B but am going for 4 As. My GCSE grades were abysmal, 1 A*, 1 C and more As than Bs (with the B in critical thinking). Although I was under the impression that oxford didn't ask to see your GCSE grades unless you were doing med or vet?!

Everywhere you apply to sees your GCSE grades and Oxford doesn't offer Vet med. Oxford take your GCSEs into account but also for maths the MAT is very important. A very high MAT score could make up for your poor GCSEs.
For maths at Oxford, you have to take STEP exams which are so difficult and time-consuming to prepare for. I would not take GCSE Latin as I wouldn't see it as a pressing priority and you can use that time to work on more important things that Oxford will judge you on. Critical thinking is not counted as a 4th AS and it's a waste of time. Definitely drop that and study something else related to maths such as physics or economics. That will give you an edge.

Oxford don't do vet medicine and those grades are not 'abysmal', lol.
Reply 14
Oxford state they want 3 A-levels (A2) plus one AS which is not Crit thinking or General Studies. So you need to pick up a new AS to replace Chem if you want to apply to Oxford.
Reply 15
Original post by suleyman95
For maths at Oxford, you have to take STEP exams...

This isn't the case, and has never been so.
I think you would struggle with your current subject combination and GCSE grades. I would recommend trying to pick up Physics AS if possible NOW (it's really easy if you're good at maths and common sense) or if not, next year.
Next year, do 3A2s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and a Maths related EPQ. Drop ClasCiv, it's completely irrelevant to the course and Oxbridge would not be happy with just double maths as your relevant A levels - they prefer another science as well. Don't bother with the Latin GCSE - I get the impression that Classics interests you, that's great - feel free to keep it up as a hobby. It's nice to have a bit of a contrast to your more science-y subjects to have a bit of a break. However, Latin is pretty challenging as a subject and you really won't have time to work on it to get a good GCSE grade. Besides, the time for GCSEs has really passed - it is now really important to focus on your A levels. Also, taking Latin GCSE and ClasCiv does kind of suggest that you might be more interested in Classics that pure Maths - which is not the impression you want to give. You need to show them that you LIVE and BREATH Maths. It is your LIFE. Or at least, you would be happy to make it your life for at least three years of university...

Also, as people have mentioned earlier - Cambridge makes offerholders sit the STEP exam (which apparently is particularly evil and difficult - it will require dedication and hard work throughout your A2 year to be able to get a good enough score...) and Oxford makes applicants sit the MAT exam (possibly slightly less horrible, or at least tests slightly less challenging stuff since it is sat about half a year earlier - in November time I think, rather than after the A2 summer exams for STEP). You will need to put a lot of effort into preparing for these exams, rather than being sidetracked by Latin...
Original post by RichE
This isn't the case, and has never been so.

Sorry, I stand corrected. Although doing STEP is attractive to the likes of Oxford, surely?
Reply 18
Original post by suleyman95
Sorry, I stand corrected. Although doing STEP is attractive to the likes of Oxford, surely?

It's recommended doing, but because of STEP's timing rarely plays any part in Oxford's admissions decisions.
Currently I'm planning to stick with what I'm doing this year as I don't think I'll be able t get a decent grade if I pick up an AS now and next year do Maths, Further Maths, Classical Civilisation, a maths EPQ and an extra AS (either physics, biology or english language) plus latin GCSE if I have time. Anyone have any extra advice? PS sorry for the late reply my home and school internet are on the fritz!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending