The Student Room Group

How long does it take to learn GCSE statistics?

I've taken my Maths early so from no until the exam period I have 5 lessons a week free. The Maths department has decided to put me in for Stats. Does anyone take this subject and know how long it takes to cover the entire syllabus? I've heard it's quite short and can be covered reasonably quickly.:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I've taken my Maths early so from no until the exam period I have 5 lessons a week free. The Maths department has decided to put me in for Stats. Does anyone take this subject and know how long it takes to cover the entire syllabus? I've heard it's quite short and can be covered reasonably quickly.:confused:

Why don't you teach yourself Additional Maths (FSMQ)? Apparently, its takes 40 hours to complete and a 'B' grade in the FSMQ is equivalent to an A* in a GCSE subject.
Original post by GoldGhost
Why don't you teach yourself Additional Maths (FSMQ)? Apparently, its takes 40 hours to complete and a 'B' grade in the FSMQ is equivalent to an A* in a GCSE subject.

I was thinking about that but I'm not sure I'll have the time or motivation as I'm already retaking English literature AND teaching myself Astronomy in 6 months. I'd only want to take the FSMQ if I was positive I'd get at least an A, and with my other subjects I'm not sure I will. But I suppose it would help as it'd act as a sort of bridge for my A level Maths next September.

Do you know anything about GCSE statistics though?

Are you sure? I took that and whilst it was more difficult than normal Maths, it wasn't that much more difficult.

Original post by Frannoooooooo

I haven't taken GCSE statistics but having seen the syllabus, it really doesn't look too hard. If you found Maths easy, you might as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Are you sure? I took that and whilst it was more difficult than normal Maths, it wasn't that much more difficult.

Indeed, I asked my head of my maths department.
8 points (sixth form application) = A* in a GCSE subject
8 points (sixth form application) = B in FSMQ maths

I haven't taken GCSE statistics but having seen the syllabus, it really doesn't look too hard. If you found Maths easy, you might as well.

How long does it take to self teach statistics, isn't there coursework involved?
How long does it take to self teach statistics, isn't there coursework involved?

There is coursework involved but it's really easy. It's basically doing some sort of survey/research and using statistical/mathematical techniques to determine certain things. Not too difficult.
I took GCSE Stats in year 9 (we have to in my school) I got an A (a* in the exam and a b in the coursework)

It is quite easy, really it just expands more in depth of what you do in maths. If you learn why all the equations do and mean you should be fine.
Also, seeing as you have those 5 lessons a week free I think you would be able to cope. The coursework is really easy, I mean I got a B and I lost all of it three days before the hand in date. The exam, I just crash revised the day before and in my year group everyone passed, and half got A/A*. Also, I think it might be that little bit easier for you seeing as you are older!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest