The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield interview.

I have an interview coming up next month for Biological and Medicinal Chemistry. They called me up and we sorted it all out etc, the Professor I spoke too told me that in the interview, they would ask me some questions on Chemistry.

What am I to expect? Will it be Chemistry related to what I put on my Personal Statement or something I'll have to work out on the spot?

Cheers!
Original post by rikyCF
I have an interview coming up next month for Biological and Medicinal Chemistry. They called me up and we sorted it all out etc, the Professor I spoke too told me that in the interview, they would ask me some questions on Chemistry.

What am I to expect? Will it be Chemistry related to what I put on my Personal Statement or something I'll have to work out on the spot?

Cheers!

Right - assuming the interviews haven't really changed since I applied (and that they're all fairly similar).
I had a heck of a lot of my interview about my PS, I'd mentioned reading a couple of books, so we talked about that, and a little bit about my trip to Berlin the previous summer. I was applying for Chemistry with a year in Europe, so it's not as odd as it sounds. There was a little bit of chemistry in my interview. I only really remember doing the mechanism for making a hydroxynitrile from a ketone, but I'm sure we must've done some more...

If you mention you really like organic chemistry, you're likely to get asked about that, ditto inorganic and physical. If your interviewer seems to be not enjoying your interview, it's probably not you. It's more likely to be down to the fact you're more into (say) organic chemistry, and they're a physical chemist.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Thank you! Okay, so I've mentioned organic chemistry and stereisomerism in my PS. Brush up on these points, and the other stuff I've also mentioned?

I suppose it'll be good revision for me. :biggrin:
Original post by rikyCF
Thank you! Okay, so I've mentioned organic chemistry and stereisomerism in my PS. Brush up on these points, and the other stuff I've also mentioned?

I suppose it'll be good revision for me. :biggrin:

Yes. Basically revise what you've covered so far. The academics don't bite too much (If we don't mention Ed...), they are generally lovely.
Reply 4
I'm a first year on that course now :smile: well, I'm doing Biological Chemistry which is the old version of that, I think the new one sounds much better. The interview was a doddle. I couldn't answer one of the questions the bloke asked me but he as good as told me the answer which I repeated in my own words and then was offered a place. So honestly, don't panic.
Also, do you know there will be virtually noone on your course? :tongue:

(Also also, Ed can be lovely, but he's a little bit... unpredictable)
Original post by FayeLauraa
I'm a first year on that course now :smile: well, I'm doing Biological Chemistry which is the old version of that, I think the new one sounds much better. The interview was a doddle. I couldn't answer one of the questions the bloke asked me but he as good as told me the answer which I repeated in my own words and then was offered a place. So honestly, don't panic.
Also, do you know there will be virtually noone on your course? :tongue:

(Also also, Ed can be lovely, but he's a little bit... unpredictable)

This. And if you get him when he's in one of his moods, you do sometimes wonder why you bothered getting out of bed that morning...
Biological chemistry tends to be really, really small. In second year, I think there's... 3 of them? I know there's fewer doing that than Year in Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending