The Student Room Group

Tomboys, where do you shop?

I'm a girl who likes to dress quite androgynously / 'tomboyish' but I have real trouble trying to find clothes to fit me, since I usually shop in the mens sections of stores, but i'm 5"5 and fairly slim. I shop at Gap, Primark and New Look since I know that their small and extra small clothes aren't huge and baggy, but do you have any suggestions of where else to try? :smile:
Reply 1
topman :smile: some of their guys clothes are quite girly, I wouldn't say I'm a tomboy but I do buy men's clothes. I like them to be a bit baggy so I would try H&M too but if you don't like that I think topman do small clothes, also try uniqlo
I shop online a lot mainly in ASOS, I know that Forever 21 is quite good but you can always pick up the odd thing in Urban Outfitters. American Apparel is good for basics and loads of their clothes are unisex/neutral but can get pricey.

Topman, they have quite small sizes (I'm 5'2)
I'd say I used to dress tomboy-ish but try H&M their divided red section is quite androgynous and their sizes are messed up so they'll fit you fine.
Reply 4
Topman/Topshop, H&M, Primark (for cheap jeans and boots) and Red Bubble for my unique and cult t shirts.
Reply 5
Original post by Mac1718
topman :smile: some of their guys clothes are quite girly, I wouldn't say I'm a tomboy but I do buy men's clothes. I like them to be a bit baggy so I would try H&M too but if you don't like that I think topman do small clothes, also try uniqlo

uniqlo has been a revelation! So thanks for that! Actual shirts with top buttons that don't cost the earth :biggrin:
Reply 6
If you can get into London, Soho has some good vintage shops like Rokit and Pop boutique, mens and women's stuff in vintage shops are often good and not very expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by feathergirl
uniqlo has been a revelation! So thanks for that! Actual shirts with top buttons that don't cost the earth :biggrin:

yeah it's a good shop, no worries :smile:
Original post by feathergirl
I'm a girl who likes to dress quite androgynously / 'tomboyish' but I have real trouble trying to find clothes to fit me, since I usually shop in the mens sections of stores, but i'm 5"5 and fairly slim. I shop at Gap, Primark and New Look since I know that their small and extra small clothes aren't huge and baggy, but do you have any suggestions of where else to try? :smile:

I've only just discovered this thread: how exciting :biggrin:. I'm androgynous and only wear mens clothing (including underwear) but I have huge problems with fit as I'm a pear shape.

River Island and Burton are good ones to try, though Topman are better on style in my opinion. None of them make clothes that are of very high quality but that seems to be par for the course these days.

Does anyone on here know how Reiss XS shirts compare to Topman XS? Size guides aren't always that useful for women wearing mens stuff.

Do you use the mens changing rooms? I have done in the past but I'm always terrified I'll get challenged (truth is I've actually had more grief using women's toilets but that's another story).
I also like wearing men's clothes, they're so much comfier and I like how they look a lot more. When I used to go shopping with my mum I'd be instantly attracted to the men's section of stores, I just prefer them. Luckily I'm tall and well built (I play a lot of sport) so men's medium fits me most of the time which isn't as hard to find as the small sizes mentioned in this thread. My favourite place to shop is TKMaxx, you can get some really nice clothes cheap and I don't feel like I'm being judged in there. Although on more than a couple of occasions I've been directed to the male changing rooms which is more than ok with me :tongue:

Original post by WednesdayAddams
Do you use the mens changing rooms? I have done in the past but I'm always terrified I'll get challenged (truth is I've actually had more grief using women's toilets but that's another story).

I feel so uncomfortable using women's toilets and changing rooms as I have short hair combined with men's clothes makes me worry about women complaining about me. :colondollar:
Original post by Culture Slut
I feel so uncomfortable using women's toilets and changing rooms as I have short hair combined with men's clothes makes me worry about women complaining about me. :colondollar:

I have the exact same problem!!! I'm very slight, I have short hair and I bind because it makes wearing men's clothes a lot easier. I've actually been challenged quite nastily in ladies public toilets before, which was most upsetting. Most of the time a just get women assuming I'm mistaken, assuming they're mistaken and have walked into the wrong toilets or, most commonly, I get stared at (one girl just stood and watched me wash my hands). I'm not the most assertive of people, so using ladies-only spaces has become a bit fraught with anxiety for me.
I have used the changing rooms at various Topman's and they've always been quite good with me. I was even invited into the personal shopping area in the Oxford Street one.

I recently encountered the official use of a disabled toilet as a 'gender neutral' toilet. While I was glad for the safe space I think the idea is deeply flawed as it stigmatises the trans community.
Reply 11
Original post by Culture Slut
I also like wearing men's clothes, they're so much comfier and I like how they look a lot more. When I used to go shopping with my mum I'd be instantly attracted to the men's section of stores, I just prefer them. Luckily I'm tall and well built (I play a lot of sport) so men's medium fits me most of the time which isn't as hard to find as the small sizes mentioned in this thread. My favourite place to shop is TKMaxx, you can get some really nice clothes cheap and I don't feel like I'm being judged in there. Although on more than a couple of occasions I've been directed to the male changing rooms which is more than ok with me :tongue: /QUOTE]

Although I identify as a girl, and am totally fine with that as my known gender, I just feel more interested in mens fashion on the whole. But I couldn't do anything about that until I got my own job and money. Although I do own 'girly' clothes too. What I wear on a day to day basis depends on my mood at that moment in time. TK Maxx is great, in terms of not feeling awkward buying stuff. Come to think of it, Next is actually quite good too, especially the two for £10 t-shirts. I always feel comfortable trying stuff on there.
On the not so comfortable end of the scale is New Look. I feel like a right idiot, and only buy stuff I don't need to try on there
There's a really cool store I found recently - tomboy-clothing.com They do clothes specifically for tomboys as the brand name suggests!

Quick Reply

Latest