The Student Room Group

Why was Margaret Thatcher a strict Tory when she was from a poor background.....?

I just watched Iron Lady and enjoyed it, athough I see that Thatcher was from a pretty poor family unlike most Tories, however, she turned out to be a strong conservative. I couldnt determine whether her parents were Labour but assume they were.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
tourist?
Reply 2
Original post by Arketec
tourist?

huh?
She did always insist on travel.

She was a Tory because she was a staunch believer in the free market (or at least thought she was) and a believer in reduced role for the state (directly at least). The only real reason for her to be a Labour supporter because she was poor is because she might have enjoyed all the handouts, which is exactly what people criticise Labour for. You're supposed to hold a political view based on the one you think is correct not the one you think is most likely to benefit you personally.
Reply 4
Original post by newts2k
huh?

what do you mean, tourist?
Reply 5
Original post by newts2k
huh?

Tourist you asked - why was Thatcher a tourist? I think you meant Tory.
Reply 6
Tories =/= rich. Labour =/= poor. There are just as many rich Labourites as there are rich Tories, and arguably the only reason the urban working class is more likely to vote Labour is because many poor people no longer know how they'd manage without Labour's welfare programmes.
I think your auto correct is playing up
Fixed the painful auto correct in the title :facepalm:
because she just loved holidays, i heard her favourite song is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNP5yqg7hc
I don't think her beliefs came out of a self-interest or short-sighted parochialism. She wanted what was in her mind right for Britain, not specifically the poor people of Britain but Britain as a whole.

Also, I dispute that she was a Tory. I think she was much more of a classical Liberal.
Reply 11
Original post by Arketec
tourist?

woops, obv meant Tory
Class should not determine your political stance. Being poor doesn't mean you can't vote Tory or be a Tory if you agree with their principles and doctrines.

I'm from a poor working class background and I'm a Tory.
Reply 13
Original post by felamaslen
I don't think her beliefs came out of a self-interest or short-sighted parochialism. She wanted what was in her mind right for Britain, not specifically the poor people of Britain but Britain as a whole.

Also, I dispute that she was a Tory. I think she was much more of a classical Liberal.

Not sure what a classical liberal is but I can guess. However, Im just saying Tory as she was in the conservative party
Reply 14
Original post by CJG21
Class should not determine your political stance. Being poor doesn't mean you can't vote Tory or be a Tory if you agree with their principles and doctrines.

I'm from a poor working class background and I'm a Tory.

What do you like or believe in with regards to Tory party?
Original post by newts2k
What do you like or believe in with regards to Tory party?

I'd rather not post lest I be belittled by people on here who know everything about politics who I won't be able to argue against :tongue:

My dad wasn't happy when I told him I was Tory, he hates Thatcher :biggrin:
She was a Tory probably because of all the mess she grew up with under Labour during the 70s. She new that Britain was stagnating and she chose her politics based on that. She believed the poor would benefit from her policies.
Original post by Fizzel
You're supposed to hold a political view based on the one you think is correct not the one you think is most likely to benefit you personally.
I imagine there is a pretty strong correlation between income and voting habits tho
Original post by Fizzel
You're supposed to hold a political view based on the one you think is correct not the one you think is most likely to benefit you personally.

And I'm sure that's how most people vote :lol:
Reply 19
Original post by Liquid Swordsman
I imagine there is a pretty strong correlation between income and voting habits tho

Naturally, but there shouldn't be.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest