The Student Room Group

Tips for long haul flights?

So in March I am going to visit my sister in New Zealand. The problem is though, I've never flown before, it's a long haul flight and I'm going to be flying alone. Does anyone have any tips for me? Whether it be checking in tips or the best place to sit on the plane? Please Help!
Reply 1
The main one is to set your body clock to NZ time a couple of days before you go out there. Then for the flight, fly business class at least, long haul in economy will kill you. In general stretch and keep hydrated as your muscles will ache like no tomorrow and dehydration is not good.

In August I almost missed my flight to NYC as I was smoking outside, so I'd say check-in then head to your departure gate straight away otherwise, pay attention to the time :tongue:
Original post by Maria-Katie
So in March I am going to visit my sister in New Zealand. The problem is though, I've never flown before, it's a long haul flight and I'm going to be flying alone. Does anyone have any tips for me? Whether it be checking in tips or the best place to sit on the plane? Please Help!

Tips on the plane? Just make sure you move your feet by wiggling your toes slightly to keep blood circulated and get up every hour or so.
And relax and watch movies, the tv screen on the seat has loads of movies and music :smile:
Dont sit near the toilets, go for a aisle seat rather than a window seat. Get to the airport early, especially if you are asian because you will most likely have a "random" security check. Finally, hope that you dont have a **** sitting in front of you with there seat reclined, last time I flew this happened on my outward and return journey and was sat very uncomfortable literally with my knees embedded in the back of the seat and on top of that the TV screen had some sort of privacy screen on it to stop the person next to you seeing what you're watching so with me being tall and the screen angled downwards i was unable to watch anything.
Choose your seats on the plane when you book. Make sure you choose an aisle seat. It may be tempting to sit by the window, but on a long-haul flight sitting next to strangers, believe me it is much better to be sitting on the aisle, that way you can get up whenever you want and stretch your legs. It feels much more like you have freedom.

Also, I recommend flying with Singapore Airlines. This would be a 13hr flight from London, and then after a stopover in Singapore (stay for 1 night) a further 10hr flight to Auckland is required, again on Singapore Airlines.

Alternatively, try Emirates. This way you could stop over in Dubai (7hrs from London), and then a 15hr flight to Sydney, with a stopover there, and then a final 4 hour flight from Sydney to Auckland. This would all be on the Emirates A380, the most comfortable plane in the sky.
Reply 5
Keep your legs moving - get up and walk around every now and then. If you keep your feet still then you could potentially get deep vein thrombosis which is not fun at all, I'm told.

Drink a decent amount of water, the air in the plane is usually quite dry.

Make sure you have plenty to do because sleeping is not particularly easy with the noise and upright seating.

Check in a couple of hours before the plane is due to leave. This will make sure you're there in plenty of time in case there's a delay getting there, and if security takes ages.

If you can, get a seat near an emergency exit as there's considerably more leg room. Failing that, an aisle seat.

Take advantage of complimentary drinks. I've not been on a plane which offers them recently, but you can get free booze if you're over 18 :biggrin:
Reply 6
also do not drink alcohol on the plane.
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
also do not drink alcohol on the plane.

Why not? Nothing wrong with a drink here and there, hell I get hammered and pass out when I fly long haul.
Reply 8
I used to always go for the aisle seats (I fly to and from Beijing quite often), but after one trip where the guy in the window seat got up every 30 minutes, I now opt for the aisle seat, so I can sleep without being woken up every half hour.

Make sure you have plenty to do. I once had a 7 hour flight with LOT Polish Airlines, and there was no in-flight entertainment. It was so boring! Bring a book and some music to keep yourself entertained just in case. Usually, airlines have a good selection of movies and TV shows on long haul flights.
Wear comfy loose clothes. Not jeans - the waistband gets too 'tight'. Soft leggings or track-pants etc are best. Soft cotton type clothes up top - layers so you can peel off/add depending on temperature. Soft socks with no tight elastic. Shoes that slip on/off - laces are a pain in the bum.

Get a Kindle. Don't bother with real books. Put a toothbrush/paste, moisturizer and a lip balm in your hand luggage, with spare undies and a spare t-shirt. Vital for freshening up before you meet your folks.

Dont put anything like tweezers/scissors/metal nailfile in your hand luggage - 'dangerous' and will get confiscated. Don't try and take food into NZ. They are paranoid about disease. They can also be picky about any soil/dirt on shoes.

You will feel totally knackered when you arrive. However hard, stay awake until NZ evening then go to bed. If you nap during the day you will mess up your body clock even more. If you can get your family to take you for a long walk in the open air this is the best way to sort out your body clock and sleep properly.

Have a great time!
Reply 10
Try get the seat next to the emergancy exits, there is a big room to stretch your leg. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Plan to get to the airport 2-3 hours before departure.

Make sure to check luggage allowance.

If you fall asleep easy then you'll be fine. If not then theres not much you can do.

Have a extra piece of clothing in your hand luggage as it can get very cold on the plane during the night. They do give blankets, but they are quite thin.

Eye mask, neck pillow can help

When taking off and landing everyone's ears goes weird coz of air pressure. People have different techniques to un pop your ears. What I do is force a yawn, and it works for me. Some people like to suck and swallow, so having sweets help. Sometimes I get chronic ear pains that no amount of yawning will get rid of until the plane has stabilised, so just be warned.

Try not to wait till last min for toilet, as the queues tend to be massive.

You can ask the stewards for pot noodles/snacks and nuts during the flight which they dont tell you about!

I also heard from a friend that if you ask, some airlines give you a pack of cards for free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
for me I usually buy a load of sleeping pill.

Also good to load a bunch of films on some sort of CD player. Buy a head rest and put a bar of soap/toothbrush in your bag. face gets very sticky during long hauls.
After every movie you watch go for a walk down the isles just to keep your blood circulating. Also take a really good book with you. A good book can easily get you through the flight. Try to get some sleep, if you can't then watch some movies or something. Just try to keep yourself busy and keep the blood circulating and you will be fine :biggrin:.
I usually enjoy flying, but when it comes to long haul it's not always so great!

Tips:

1) Avoid alcohol and drink plenty of water
2) Take a neck pillow/eye mask and possibly ear plugs to drowned out the noise of other passengers
3) Take your e-reader/books, watch films to pass the time
4) Make sure you keep your blood circulating by moving around the cabin when possible. Some people like to wear flight socks to reduce the risk of DVT
5) Wet wipes can be handy for freshening up after a nap or a fair few hours or travelling
6) If you're worried about travel sickness...take travel sickness pills before you fly
7) Make sure you have any essential medication in your hand luggage

I definitely find that the time passes if I watch films and read and getting some sleep on the flight should help you feel a little more refreshed when you arrive...as well as passing some time.

Quick Reply

Latest