The Student Room Group

Which universities are highly ranked for business?

I got an offer from Sussex, Queen Mary, Aston, Kent for business management. Not sure which one to firm, I like all of them. Which ones the best one?

I live in london at the moment

*Aston and Kent give me a placement year

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not applying for business but I do know Aston is meant to be very well known for it's business related courses and for graduate jobs. However Queen Mary and Sussex probably have a better overall reputation. I guess out of those 3 universities you should base your decision on what one you prefer as you will have to live there for the next 3/4 years :smile:
I applied to Aston and Kent last year albeit for Economics. Both are quite good in the business degree area.

One thing that I disliked about Aston was that for the first year you take all business school modules (I think). That means that if you want to do Business Management, you'd also have to do Business Law, Economics, IT for Business, Marketing, Accounting etc. all in your first year - even if you didn't want to study them (although if you wanted to swap out to a different business school degree after first year it was very easy to do so because of this). Personally, this put me off.

But maybe this is something that you'd like? I don't know. I think out of your choices though I'd firm one of either Kent. QM or Aston :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
I'm not applying for business but I do know Aston is meant to be very well known for it's business related courses and for graduate jobs. However Queen Mary and Sussex probably have a better overall reputation. I guess out of those 3 universities you should base your decision on what one you prefer as you will have to live there for the next 3/4 years :smile:

Hmm I've done a bit of research however Aston is very good with business they had 92% employment rate in 2011 holy moly but overall reputation isn't that high but then again qm is a russel group and a London uni but isn't very good for business same goes to Sussex... I really don't know lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a third year student doing Business Management at Queen Mary. So if you have any questions, let me know.

From your list, Aston has the best course reputation but Queen Mary and Sussex are better as institutions.
Reply 6
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I applied to Aston and Kent last year albeit for Economics. Both are quite good in the business degree area.

One thing that I disliked about Aston was that for the first year you take all business school modules (I think). That means that if you want to do Business Management, you'd also have to do Business Law, Economics, IT for Business, Marketing, Accounting etc. all in your first year - even if you didn't want to study them (although if you wanted to swap out to a different business school degree after first year it was very easy to do so because of this). Personally, this put me off.

But maybe this is something that you'd like? I don't know. I think out of your choices though I'd firm one of either Kent. QM or Aston :smile:

Yeah I really like the modules from the first year, I study law at a level so studying law in business would be interesting, I also do ict and did AS economics so I'm fine with the modules I just don't know which one is more respected also I heard Aston looks like a college and doesn't feel like youre at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by anontsr
Yeah I really like the modules from the first year, I study law at a level so studying law in business would be interesting, I also do ict and did AS economics so I'm fine with the modules I just don't know which one is more respected also I heard Aston looks like a college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Aston is set right in the centre of the city, unlike Kent which is located out in the countryside but to be honest I preferred the Kent campus (that's the Canterbury campus, I think the Business course you applied for is on the Medway campus?). The Aston day might feel more like a college day due to how many lectures you have to go to to cover the first year modules. But the one thing that put me off Aston was the Economics department. They had this really nice, modern glass building where the Economics department was located, but they said that I wouldn't have any lectures in it. Instead I'd have the majority if not all of my lectures in the tall building in the middle of campus, which to me looked a bit run down. Thankfully the uni I'm at now has a nice, modern Economics department. I'm sure the Aston lecturers have good teaching quality but the negatives went just a bit too far for me and so I chose to put another uni as my firm and Kent as my insurance.
Reply 9
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Well Aston is set right in the centre of the city, unlike Kent which is located out in the countryside but to be honest I preferred the Kent campus (that's the Canterbury campus, I think the Business course you applied for is on the Medway campus?). The Aston day might feel more like a college day due to how many lectures you have to go to to cover the first year modules. But the one thing that put me off Aston was the Economics department. They had this really nice, modern glass building where the Economics department was located, but they said that I wouldn't have any lectures in it. Instead I'd have the majority if not all of my lectures in the tall building in the middle of campus, which to me looked a bit run down. Thankfully the uni I'm at now has a nice, modern Economics department. I'm sure the Aston lecturers have good teaching quality but the negatives went just a bit too far for me and so I chose to put another uni as my firm and Kent as my insurance.

No I applied for business administration which is in Canterbury. Yeah that's the only thing that is putting me off, the small building etc doesn't look good or feel like you're in a university so I'm really unsure :\ but then again I'm from London so I'm very used to the busy streets and might find Kent boring... Hard decision! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anontsr
No I applied for business administration which is in Canterbury. Yeah that's the only thing that is putting me off, the small building etc doesn't look good or feel like you're in a university so I'm really unsure :\ but then again I'm from London so I'm very used to the busy streets and might find Kent boring... Hard decision! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you will to be honest. Kent seemed like a lovely university and the city of Canterbury was great, especially with the cathedral there.

You were saying about Astons 92% employment rate...yes it's good, but it's mainly due to the placement year and the broad range of modules in the first year. You could do the same thing at Kent without having to study all the extra modules. Plus if you did want to go on and study at a better university for a Masters (as I am considering) then the degree from Aston is apparently not strong enough. One thing that did annoy me a lot about Aston though was the amount of emphasis on the placement year...yes, well done, you're not the only uni to provide that, now tell me about the course.
The thing you need to remember with 'job statistics' like this is that they don't tell you how many were working in low-level jobs they didn't need a degree for, or paid peanuts, or on very short contracts. Or even if the responses to the questions were either true or manipulated by the University (we'll count all intern ships as 'jobs' shall we?'. Etc.

You also need to think about the remaining 8% - why do you assume you woudn't be one of them?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending