The Student Room Group

need of advice

Hello I am coming towards the end of yr 11 and I am rather stuck. Just a quick overview of.myself so you all understand my situation a little better. I really enjoy the outdoors and adventure, I am quite bright, I will get at least all A's in GCSE. I live in Manchester
Now here is my predicament :
I was planning on going to reaseheath college to do a btec level 3 extended diploma in adventure sports, however I have some concerns with this even though I know I Would enjoy it; firstly it wouldn't give me many other options if I decided I wanted to be something else. Also I believe it may be a waste of my good grades, because it only requires Cs.
Therefore I am contemplating 6th form for more traditional A levels. However I want to go to a mixed school because I currently don't see enough girls; which is a problem because my local 6th form is all males :frown:. Also I dont particularly like many people there and if I do do alevels, I want to do them at a good school/college and I don't know of any in Manchester. Please help me on all of these issues. Advice is needed
Reply 1
Have a look around more for other 6th forms in your area, there must be some that are good and mixed? I think A-levels is the way to go personally.

You should look around for kids adventure summer camps and what sort of summer job opportunites they have, I know a few are open for people to work such as camps in america which don't require qualifications. I'm sure if you show on your cv that you are sporty, fun etc you will be able to get into that without any qualifications and could help open that path to you in the future. I don't know much/anything about adventure sports but that is where I would start.

You will still have summer holidays even if you do A levels :smile: I dunno if travel is much your thing but also have a look at gap year schemes too where you can volunteer abroad or go climb mountains, see jungles etc. If you are into adventure and outdoors that sounds like your kinda thing
It sounds to me like you've already made up you mind about your option, which looks like A levels. The way your thought process seems to have gone is that you really like the adventure sports and it sounds like good fun, but straight away tarnished it with negatives, being that you won't gain a widely known qualification.
I did A -levels, and they weren't easy, they take a lot of hard work, but I truly did learn so much when I went to college (not just academically, but about my independence, and it taught me to grow up a bit) :smile:
Adventure sports or something related to that is a qualification that is much easier to gain later on in life, if you decide that you still want to do it when you're older - its harder to gain A levels once you've been away from education for a while.
I'd say give A levels a try and see how they suit you - you have nothing to lose (its not as if its uni fees - ouch) and if you can't make it work, then you can go back to adventure sports.
Have a look online at colleges in Manchester that are mixed, I'm sure there are plenty!
If need be, ring a few and ask them if you can attend an open day to see what they're like and get a feel for the place; I did that before I chose my college.
You sound like you have a lot of potential, and want to use it, so go for it, and do A-levels you enjoy!
Original post by Mac1718
Have a look around more for other 6th forms in your area, there must be some that are good and mixed? I think A-levels is the way to go personally.

You should look around for kids adventure summer camps and what sort of summer job opportunites they have, I know a few are open for people to work such as camps in america which don't require qualifications. I'm sure if you show on your cv that you are sporty, fun etc you will be able to get into that without any qualifications and could help open that path to you in the future. I don't know much/anything about adventure sports but that is where I would start.

You will still have summer holidays even if you do A levels :smile: I dunno if travel is much your thing but also have a look at gap year schemes too where you can volunteer abroad or go climb mountains, see jungles etc. If you are into adventure and outdoors that sounds like your kinda thing

To do the summer camps abroad you MUST be 18, so he wouldn't be able to do it, and most gap year schemes only accept 18 year olds. :colondollar::rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by smudge_moon
To do the summer camps abroad you MUST be 18, so he wouldn't be able to do it, and most gap year schemes only accept 18 year olds. :colondollar::rolleyes:

good point about summer camps but yeah I meant to do that as a gap year :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending