The Student Room Group

UKIP accuse Ford of being being massive hypocrites and they're 100% right

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
It's highly unlikely that the Tories would seek to provide subsidies for British farmers on anything like the scale they do now.

I think effectively they would have to.

High tariffs are unthinkable. The modern Conservative Party was created to abolish them and when they dallied with reinstating them they lost the elections in 1906, 1923 and 1929 on the issue. That is no doubt that "dear bread" is still politically toxic.

Without subsidies or tariffs, British agriculture could not survive and the idea of land going out of production or stewardship would be unacceptable to the public and politicians of all parties. We have got over paying people to mine uneconomic coal and build unwanted ships but the public wouldn't tolerate land reverting to heath and waste.
Reply 61
Original post by Rakas21
It's highly unlikely that the Tories would seek to provide subsidies for British farmers on anything like the scale they do now. We'd still have to spend money on regional development though, it would be political suicide not to, especially since it does generate growth and jobs.

well rural areas are big conservative areas so i dont see why they wouldnt, the money on regional development would be a lot less though as most of this goes to eastern european countries
Reply 62
Original post by nulli tertius

High tariffs are unthinkable. The modern Conservative Party was created to abolish them and when they dallied with reinstating them they lost the elections in 1906, 1923 and 1929 on the issue. That is no doubt that "dear bread" is still politically toxic.

Without subsidies or tariffs, British agriculture could not survive and the idea of land going out of production or stewardship would be unacceptable to the public and politicians of all parties. We have got over paying people to mine uneconomic coal and build unwanted ships but the public wouldn't tolerate land reverting to heath and waste.

I can't see the public making that big a deal. In addition most Tory MP's that i'm aware of despise agricultural subsidies and want to follow the Australian example in which next to no subsidies have allowed the creation of massive agricultural businesses.

Original post by lucas13
well rural areas are big conservative areas so i dont see why they wouldnt, the money on regional development would be a lot less though as most of this goes to eastern european countries

Sure but we don't fund the entire regional development budget, the EU funds something like 20% of the Welsh government budget.
Original post by Rakas21
I can't see the public making that big a deal.

Really?

The only political headway Milliband Minor has made in nearly 4 years was over the price of a staple commodity- power. Tell people that after leaving the EU food prices will go up and Jacques Delors will be the next PM.

Conversely, look at the fuss over windfarms, fracking and HS1. Tell them the entire countryside will look a bit of waste ground, and the Provisional National Trust will be setting off bombs in Whitehall.

I think you've missed the point, that even after accounting for money that is returned from the EU to the UK (even to be spent on digging holes and filling them in again - I'm not convinced it would survive but let's assume it would), the UK would still have money left over. The balance of payments is not negative only if you ignore EU spending in the UK; it is negative on net.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Really?

The only political headway Milliband Minor has made in nearly 4 years was over the price of a staple commodity- power. Tell people that after leaving the EU food prices will go up and Jacques Delors will be the next PM.

Conversely, look at the fuss over windfarms, fracking and HS1. Tell them the entire countryside will look a bit of waste ground, and the Provisional National Trust will be setting off bombs in Whitehall.

Why would it look like a waste ground?

Your assuming it will be derelict where evidence from the USA and Australia (less than half the subsidies of the EU) suggests that actually big business will thrive and take whatever land farms that are subsidy junkies leave when they collapse.
Reply 66
Original post by wartortle
Leaving EU will make every citizen if this country poor. Living standards will fall.

This was said by UKIP themselves.

Why do people want to live like this?

Idiots everywhere.

No it won't. Do trade with countries not in EU. BRICS, US, all latin America, most of the Africa. So, you won't loose leaing EU. Britain can do that but EU cannot afford the Britain to leave :P Their house of cards would go down immediately. Every single EU country has opposition towards EU culture, EU laws and unelected commisioners who can veto MPs laws. It's nor democracy and I have no love for EU. And yes, standard of living will go down, especially in UK, France and any other western country, maybe except Germany because they kept manufacturing base. Whole western alliance economy is based on cheap money which flood the stock market in Wall St and that's the only reason there is no significant inflation yet. As soon as money starts hitting Main St, the party will be over and happy artificial economy will go down as interest rates go up.

The biggest fear in such times is radical left and right who would take control. Remember Stalin, Hitler.
If we ever have an in/out referendum there will be many companies that will say the same thing.
Reply 68
Original post by Rakas21
I can't see the public making that big a deal. In addition most Tory MP's that i'm aware of despise agricultural subsidies and want to follow the Australian example in which next to no subsidies have allowed the creation of massive agricultural businesses.

Sure but we don't fund the entire regional development budget, the EU funds something like 20% of the Welsh government budget.

yes but because wales is a small country its not much money, we still give more than we receive even including wales and parts of the north

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending