The Student Room Group

Zoology - to move on to Veterinary

I applied to Queen's University of Belfast for zoology! My dreams are to be a vet :smile: helping animals and all that, however when I read what other topics that other Unis are doing I'm worried that I wont be able to move on to the veterinary -
[h="2"]Course Content[/h]
The BSc in Zoology at Queen's aims to provide students with a broad coverage of the biology of animals and how they interact with other living organisms.

Stage 1
Zoology undergraduates study:Biological Diversity
Environmental Biology
Genetics and Molecular Biology
Introductory Skills for Biosciences
Micro-organisms
Plus, usually, Biochemistry

This broad base in biological sciences enables students after their Stage 1 year to transfer, should they so wish, to pathways leading to degrees in Biological Sciences, Environmental Biology, Genetics or Marine Biology.

Stage 2
Students take the following modules:
Comparative Animal Physiology
Invertebrate Biology
Plus four other modules, at least two of which are selected from:
Applied Ecology
Cell Biology
Mammalian Biochemistry
Marine Ecology
Molecular Ecology and Evolutionary Genetics
Work Placement

Stage 3
During final year, Zoology students undertake a two-module research project, carried out under the supervision of one or more members of academic staff, and also choose four modules from:
Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology
Farm Animal Health and Welfare
Genetic Manipulation and Bacterial Genetics
Infections
Marine Zoology
Parasitology
The Immune System

Can all you helpful people give me advice :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by taraoneill19
I applied to Queen's University of Belfast for zoology! My dreams are to be a vet :smile: helping animals and all that, however when I read what other topics that other Unis are doing I'm worried that I wont be able to move on to the veterinary -
[h="2"]Course Content[/h]
The BSc in Zoology at Queen's aims to provide students with a broad coverage of the biology of animals and how they interact with other living organisms.

Stage 1
Zoology undergraduates study:Biological Diversity
Environmental Biology
Genetics and Molecular Biology
Introductory Skills for Biosciences
Micro-organisms
Plus, usually, Biochemistry

This broad base in biological sciences enables students after their Stage 1 year to transfer, should they so wish, to pathways leading to degrees in Biological Sciences, Environmental Biology, Genetics or Marine Biology.

Stage 2
Students take the following modules:
Comparative Animal Physiology
Invertebrate Biology
Plus four other modules, at least two of which are selected from:
Applied Ecology
Cell Biology
Mammalian Biochemistry
Marine Ecology
Molecular Ecology and Evolutionary Genetics
Work Placement

Stage 3
During final year, Zoology students undertake a two-module research project, carried out under the supervision of one or more members of academic staff, and also choose four modules from:
Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology
Farm Animal Health and Welfare
Genetic Manipulation and Bacterial Genetics
Infections
Marine Zoology
Parasitology
The Immune System

Can all you helpful people give me advice :biggrin:

Hi,

I did animal science before vet med so hopefully I can help. From my experience you can do any degree you want to get into vet med, depending on your reason for doing a different degree first. A related science degree like zoology can help if you have lower grades from school but you still need decent grades. Zoology would also be fine for the 4 year accelerated course. Most of the people I know did zoology first! It really doesn't matter about the content as they still base applications on your grades (a 2:1 in your degree, and school grades required will depend on the university), work experience and personal statement, as well as entrance exams for RVC and Cambridge. Currently at all unis except RVC and Edinburgh you still need to do the full 5 years so the content of your course doesn't really affect whether you get in or not. People on my course have done biochemistry, zoology, marine biology, bio veterinary, etc etc.

Make sure whatever course you pick you enjoy and can use as a backup, if you don't get in you don't want to waste 3 years, and 3 years is a long time to do something you don't enjoy.

Just before I sign off, are you aware you can't get a student loan for your tuition fees when you do vet med as a second degree? You have to actually pay the fees yourself, at most unis currently this is £9,000 a year but at Edinburgh for example I think it's over £27,000 per year.

Hope this helps and any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi Can I study for becoming a zoologist and then become a vegetarian after a few yearsOrCan I study veterinarian then leave veterinarian to become a zoologist
Original post by 0794372819
Hi Can I study for becoming a zoologist and then become a vegetarian after a few yearsOrCan I study veterinarian then leave veterinarian to become a zoologist

Hiya,

You need a veterinary degree to practise as a veterinary surgeon, so no you couldn't become a zoologist and then a vet - you would have to go back to university.

You could potentially study veterinary medicine and then try and go into animal research with a view to working with zoologists, although this is not a particularly easy way to do so and the skills that veterinary medicine teaches you are not hugely applicable to working in zoology.

I would suggest you get some work experience in these fields to help you figure out which you would like to do.

Best of luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending