The Student Room Group

PHYSICS URGENT- I must hand this in

in the specific rotation equation which is:
specific rotation-=measured rotation/ concentration*length
is the specific rotation the dependent variable and the measured rotation the independent variable?
please answer quickly
Can you google it?
Original post by PhRose
in the specific rotation equation which is:
specific rotation-=measured rotation/ concentration*length
is the specific rotation the dependent variable and the measured rotation the independent variable?
please answer quickly

Have you performed an experiment where you changed one of the variables, and measured how one of the others varies as a result?

This will tell you which is which. Which variable depended on which?
Reply 3
no I haven't done the experiment yet but we have to do this before we do the experiment so i cant wait for the experiment to happen
Reply 4
no- it doesnt give me the answer:frown:
You talk about "the experiment". The two are linked.
What is your brief for the experiment. It's aim?
This will tell you which is which.
The experiment, and its stated aim, comes first. If you have no idea what these are, then you cannot answer the question as to which variable is dependent and which independent. It depends on the experiment.
What are you going to measure? Is it the specific rotation? If so, this isn't one of the variables. It's a constant. (Which I told you in the other thread you started on this.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
the aim of the experiment is to find the specific rotation of sucrose solution using different concentrations of sucrose solution. so i will keep the path length the same (1dm), change the concentration and this will change the observed rotation.
in the end if i substitute this into the equation I will get the specific rotation.
so is the concentration the independent variable and the observed rotation the dependant variable???
thank you
Original post by PhRose
the aim of the experiment is to find the specific rotation of sucrose solution using different concentrations of sucrose solution. so i will keep the path length the same (1dm), change the concentration and this will change the observed rotation.
in the end if i substitute this into the equation I will get the specific rotation.
so is the concentration the independent variable and the observed rotation the dependant variable???
thank you

Yes. Exactly.
Reply 8
thank you very much (once again):smile:

Quick Reply

Latest