The Student Room Group

GDL 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by feven94
I am thinking about taking the GDL after I finish my bachelor in Political Science. But do you know if it is possible to apply without finishing my degree? I dont see the point of continuing if I am going to study law..

Hmm I'm not sure, I'm under the impression that you have to have a degree to be able to take the GDL.
Original post by feven94
I am thinking about taking the GDL after I finish my bachelor in Political Science. But do you know if it is possible to apply without finishing my degree? I dont see the point of continuing if I am going to study law..

Hi there,

You need to finish your degree to get on to the GDL. For instance, to gain entry to the University of Law you need a UK undergraduate degree and for intending barristers, this must be a minimum of a 2:2.

Don't give up on your degree!
Do you need to graduate to do the GRADUATE diploma in law?

I suspect there is a bigger problem for you in play.
Original post by HannerBanner
Hi Louisa

It's a bit stressful at the moment as we're gearing up to our final exams, but otherwise fine!

I work part time for a catering company waitressing at weddings to earn some cash. I'm on the four day course, but you can study the GDL at UoL on 2 days so if you wanted to work part time to fund the GDL so you would have more flexibility :smile:

Hannah

Hey Hannah,
Glad you are managing to survive! Best of luck with those exams!!
I'm doing the GDL at BPP Manchester hopefully two days a week and am looking to get some casual work to help pay the bills while I am studying. It's actually a relief to see that you are managing to earn a bit of money while you study! At a few of the open evenings I went to they seemed to discourage it, but I thought surely most people would need to be earning at least a little bit? Maybe just because I am not that great at saving money... I need a constant cash flow haha. :smile:
Louisa
Original post by cactusbed
Hey Hannah,
Glad you are managing to survive! Best of luck with those exams!!
I'm doing the GDL at BPP Manchester hopefully two days a week and am looking to get some casual work to help pay the bills while I am studying. It's actually a relief to see that you are managing to earn a bit of money while you study! At a few of the open evenings I went to they seemed to discourage it, but I thought surely most people would need to be earning at least a little bit? Maybe just because I am not that great at saving money... I need a constant cash flow haha. :smile:
Louisa

I don't think there's anything wrong with studying the GDL and doing a part time job, just make sure you get the balance right and don't overdo it! Most people work part time on the course to pay their fees and living expenses :smile:
Hi Hannah! I'm joining UoL in Leeds this September. I was just wondering when you started your course (early, mid, late Sept?) I'm an international student so I need to start figuring out my timeline for moving over.

Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by kwanstermonster
Hi Hannah! I'm joining UoL in Leeds this September. I was just wondering when you started your course (early, mid, late Sept?) I'm an international student so I need to start figuring out my timeline for moving over.

Hey! I'm an international student too - where are you moving over from? :smile:
Hi I'm gonna be starting my GDL at the University of Law in Moorgate come September. Anyone else going here? :smile:
From the great white north of Canada! How about you?
Original post by cactusbed
Hey! I'm an international student too - where are you moving over from? :smile:

From Canada :biggrin: How about you?

Hi there,

I started in early September. If you go on the website the course dates are on there.

http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/gdl-full-time/

Hannah
From Canada :biggrin: How about you?

Oh how exciting! I'm heading over from Australia. Do you think you will work while you study?
Hi guys, I'm joining Leeds Law School this Sept too! I'm from Singapore :smile:
Reply 33
Is everyone excited? :smile:
Reply 34
Hi guys, am planing to apply for GDL and am thinking which programme is the best? Does the reputation or ranking of the law school matters or that employers don't care at all which programme you graduate from?

It is understood how BPP, UOL, City offer a practical orientation that helps students to better cope with a very intensive course, that being said, do traditional universities take the nature of GDL in account and adapt a less academic oriented approach in their GDL programme (spoon feed, some might say) that is actually preferred by most students?
Original post by Kdurant
Hi guys, am planing to apply for GDL and am thinking which programme is the best? Does the reputation or ranking of the law school matters or that employers don't care at all which programme you graduate from?

It is understood how BPP, UOL, City offer a practical orientation that helps students to better cope with a very intensive course, that being said, do traditional universities take the nature of GDL in account and adapt a less academic oriented approach in their GDL programme (spoon feed, some might say) that is actually preferred by most students?

Hi there

I'd say that studying the GDL at a professional provider like University of Law rather than at a traditional university has been more useful to me. The course has been much more practical and based around solving problems for clients rather than writing essays etc. I have learnt skills I will use in the office which I wouldn't have learn at a more traditional uni. I think most GDL courses spoon feed students to some extent as that's the nature of the course - there's a lot of material to get through in a short space of time.

In terms of the ranking, many of the top law firms have strong relationships with one of the professional course providers, e.g. They have tailored LPC programmes. But on the whole I think they care more about your grades rather than where you've done the course.

Hope this helps,

Hannah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
I am a international student looking to join the GDL, however I did not manage to get a offer from Bpp london and from Nottingham law school. Since it is a real head ache explaining them my qualification criteria as I hold a ordinary degree and not an honours. I never knew it was such a big issue in the UK when it comes degree classifications. I would just like to know if any of you think appealing against their decisions could work and on what grounds could I get my application re assessed specially by Ntu? And congrats to all of you who got a offer :smile:
Reply 37
Hey guys, I'll be starting the GDL this September at City Law School. Will anyone else from TSR be going there?
Original post by Doodle14
Hello :smile:

I've being browsing this site for a few days now and have decided to open up my own thread regarding the GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) applicants for 2014.

I have applied to study this at BPP Law School Birmingham this coming September and today was offered my place.

Has anybody else applied for this course? Has anyone started it this January and can offer some first impressions?

Hello,
I am just wondering what peoples backgrounds are before applying?
I am currently studying a Neuroscience BSc, is there anyone else with a science background?
Is there anyone applying from a non-law background,what are the chances of acceptance if so?
Thanks in advance
J
How do yiu even afford the gdl? What funding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending