The Student Room Group

Summer Volunteer Work

Hey!
Me and a friend were wanting to do some volunteer work abroad this summer, hopefully teaching or working with children, but there are so many options we don't really know where to start! Has anyone had a great volunteer experience that they would recommend? And we're open to all locations! Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by KBL12
Hey!
Me and a friend were wanting to do some volunteer work abroad this summer, hopefully teaching or working with children, but there are so many options we don't really know where to start! Has anyone had a great volunteer experience that they would recommend? And we're open to all locations! Thanks!

Hey... well its easier if you choose a location first of all. I went to India and is going back this summer to do some volunteering with some friends. Its located in Rajasthan. I love India, the people is so sweet and welcoming. And most important your help in the organization do wonders for the people you help, which is a great feeling. Would you like to hear more?
Original post by Petricia
Hey... well its easier if you choose a location first of all. I went to India and is going back this summer to do some volunteering with some friends. Its located in Rajasthan. I love India, the people is so sweet and welcoming. And most important your help in the organization do wonders for the people you help, which is a great feeling. Would you like to hear more?

Hey . im also considering doing volunteering except it would be on my gap year.

I imagine volunteering is going to be somewhat tough , I haven't gone on holiday for almost 7 years and wanted to let my hair down during my gap year but I'm getting told to do something constructive - anyway my question is do you get an oppurtunity to let your hair down ? Were there any nice tourist attractions near where you where ?
Reply 3
Been looking for the same kind of thing, I want to volunteer abroad but looking for somewhere which isnt going to cost me alot! looking for anytime after September! if you have any ideas or websites?
Reply 4
Hey. Well the place I went I would say there is work in morning and in afternoon, and then there is lesson planning. Its planned so the volunteers don't feel they have too much work, but not too less, so there is a fair time to have fun and still enjoy India. And the weekends are off, where many volunteers go on trips to experience India. The organization is located in Udaipur, which is my favorite city in India. There is lots of local sights, try to look up Lake Palace.. Its a very beautiful city. :-) When is your gap year?

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Hey . im also considering doing volunteering except it would be on my gap year.

I imagine volunteering is going to be somewhat tough , I haven't gone on holiday for almost 7 years and wanted to let my hair down during my gap year but I'm getting told to do something constructive - anyway my question is do you get an oppurtunity to let your hair down ? Were there any nice tourist attractions near where you where ?
Reply 5
Original post by pollyjet
Been looking for the same kind of thing, I want to volunteer abroad but looking for somewhere which isnt going to cost me alot! looking for anytime after September! if you have any ideas or websites?

I would still be in India around that time myself. The website to this organization is www.stepvolunteer.com
Original post by Petricia
Hey. Well the place I went I would say there is work in morning and in afternoon, and then there is lesson planning. Its planned so the volunteers don't feel they have too much work, but not too less, so there is a fair time to have fun and still enjoy India. And the weekends are off, where many volunteers go on trips to experience India. The organization is located in Udaipur, which is my favorite city in India. There is lots of local sights, try to look up Lake Palace.. Its a very beautiful city. :-) When is your gap year?

Hmm doesn't sound too bad I suppose , though in terms of nightlife + partying I doubt india is the place to go , I don't really want a lads holiday though , somewhere inbetween a voyeuristic holiday and a place with decent nightlife would be grand.

Lake palace looks amazing , going on a gap year from this summer 2014 - next summer 2015. Which organization did you sign up with if you don;t mind me asking ?
Reply 7
There is not the same nightlife in India, but as you would be living in the volunteer house with other people you can have parties there.But if you really want the nightlife, you can go on weekend trips to Mumbai or Delhi where there is a bigger scene.:-) but even though there is not that big party scene there is plenty of other ways to have fun and being around people.

It is really amazing, often we go to dinners and have view over that place. Which is so beautiful. I signed up with a local organization in India, you can check them out on www.stepvolunteer.com...

Quick Reply

Latest