The Student Room Group

Complaining about lecturers...worth it?

There's a couple of lecturers who are extremely rude and unhelpful. Its really making me angry considering how much we are paying to uni's, only to get bitchy lecturers. One of them does a two hour lecture in one hour, his slides are useless with one or two words on each slide, he might as well not make them if he's not going to put an effort in. And in the actual lecture he doesn't even know what he's on about, a number of times he's said he's not sure about topics. Nor does he ever reply to emails. Similarly, I've put up with a lot of rude comments from other lecturers too and I know I'm not the only one. Is it worth complaining about? If so, who can I make the complain to considering I want my complaint to be anonymous too for obvious reasons?
Reply 1
We had a crappy lecturer in a module we just completed and a couple of people complained, so they sent out a survey to all of us, made a special seminar with an extra lecturer and extended the coursework deadline by a month, so I would say it's definitely worth it.
Reply 2
You absolutely should do something, not necessarily complaining. You could 1) talk to the lecturer; 2) talk to your student representatives; 3) talk to your personal tutor; 4) find out who is in charge of teaching for your course and contact them.

I would note though that putting a lot onto a slide isn't the sign of a good or bad lecturer. What the lecturers say is much more important than what is on the slides. I think many lectures would be better without slides at all.
It's definitely worth it, one of my lecturers was a 'right down everything I write' type and his handwriting was small and scruffy. Every time someone asked what a symbol/word/notation was they got a sarcastic reply even though the rest of us were struggling to read it too. After a few weeks someone emailed the department and complained, the next week his handwriting was a lot bigger, not much less scruffy but a lot easier to read. So they should take on feedback
Reply 4
To me you're are not overreacting at all, but unfortunately most lecturers are like that. :frown:

In terms of who to contact, a student rep from your course and you can make a personal complaint to your personal tutor.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's your learning and you're paying for it

Report him.
Reply 6
So I finally did complain but done it anonymously. However just received an email now that the university are not prepared to do anything about it as the complaint was anonymous :confused:. Although they said they'll forward the complaint to the dean for further enquiry. Well that was a waste of time, should have known they wont do anything. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending