The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Yeah it basically said that I was successful at interview but they were unable to find me a sponsor yet but they say that there is continual scouting for for sponsorship. Yeah I'm gonna stay positive they say you can always use the fact that you are a successful arkwright applicant for CV etc. But also I'm gonna ask various individuals if they know or can affiliate with Arkwright etc. Yeah thanks for the encouragement though :smile:
What are chances of going through recommendation
Reply 102
Yeah that's what I'm trying to find out
Reply 103
Original post by abbas3
Yeah it basically said that I was successful at interview but they were unable to find me a sponsor yet but they say that there is continual scouting for for sponsorship. Yeah I'm gonna stay positive they say you can always use the fact that you are a successful arkwright applicant for CV etc. But also I'm gonna ask various individuals if they know or can affiliate with Arkwright etc. Yeah thanks for the encouragement though :smile:

Regardless of whether you are matched to a sponsor or not, the value of showing that you were recommended for a scholarship anyway is immense, so in what is now the worst possible scenario of you not getting a sponsor, you've still got a lot for personal statement, CV and the like. Also, if people who were originally matched to a sponsor don't reply in time, or their required conditions (as on the letter) change, or they drop out for other reasons, then the group you're in have first priority to get their sponsorships instead!
Reply 104
Original post by abbas3

Original post by BOBY458465
What are chances of going through recommendation

Yeah that's what I'm trying to find out

In past years, about two-thirds of interviewees ended up being recommended for a scholarship, I believe.
Reply 105
Original post by edog300
Regardless of whether you are matched to a sponsor or not, the value of showing that you were recommended for a scholarship anyway is immense, so in what is now the worst possible scenario of you not getting a sponsor, you've still got a lot for personal statement, CV and the like. Also, if people who were originally matched to a sponsor don't reply in time, or their required conditions (as on the letter) change, or they drop out for other reasons, then the group you're in have first priority to get their sponsorships instead!

Yeah thanks for the encouragement! :smile: Also, 2/3 is pretty dam high :P
Reply 106
Hi,
I am going to apply for a scholarship next year and since I don't take D.T or similar I wasn't sure what to do my project on. :confused:

It would be great if some of you who are previous applicants could tell me what you did, even if you did take D.T, because I am really stuck on what to do :confused: and would like to get the bulk done in the holidays before year 11 sets in. :smile:

Also, do you have to tell them about your project when you apply, or is it just for the interview?

Original post by AMC143
Hi,
I am going to apply for a scholarship next year and since I don't take D.T or similar I wasn't sure what to do my project on. :confused:

It would be great if some of you who are previous applicants could tell me what you did, even if you did take D.T, because I am really stuck on what to do :confused: and would like to get the bulk done in the holidays before year 11 sets in. :smile:

Also, do you have to tell them about your project when you apply, or is it just for the interview?

It depends on what type of engineering you want to do. I said I was interested in software engineering so I developed various websites/games/software.

When you apply you do have to write a bit about what your project consists of. But if you are successful in the paper and get to the interview stage you have to take your project along and you talk about it with the interviewers.

Got my letter the other day and found out I got a scholarship and a sponsor, SO HAPPY :biggrin: But definitely go for it with applying! Best of luck :smile::smile:
Original post by AMC143
Hi,

I did do DT and just used my project for that, which was making a wooden chest- nothing to do with my aerospace engineering interest.

You have to include a brief description in your application and then bring your project (if possible) to the interview, if you get to that stage.
I would say that as long as you do something that demonstrates some skill and that you would be able to talk about you'll be fine.

Good luck!
I got the scholarship!
Reply 110
Original post by AMC143
Hi,

As everyone else has said just do something you enjoy! I did graphic products at GCSE but instead of talking about my project for that I talked about a go-kart thing I made at home last summer :smile: At interviews I went to people had anything from a shelf to a laser cutter, and if youre not restricted by coursework then try to do something you enjoy and thats original :smile:
Reply 111
Original post by kyraaalm
It depends on what type of engineering you want to do. I said I was interested in software engineering so I developed various websites/games/software.

When you apply you do have to write a bit about what your project consists of. But if you are successful in the paper and get to the interview stage you have to take your project along and you talk about it with the interviewers.

Got my letter the other day and found out I got a scholarship and a sponsor, SO HAPPY :biggrin: But definitely go for it with applying! Best of luck :smile::smile:

Original post by a_quiet_person
I did do DT and just used my project for that, which was making a wooden chest- nothing to do with my aerospace engineering interest.

You have to include a brief description in your application and then bring your project (if possible) to the interview, if you get to that stage.
I would say that as long as you do something that demonstrates some skill and that you would be able to talk about you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Original post by gwenax
As everyone else has said just do something you enjoy! I did graphic products at GCSE but instead of talking about my project for that I talked about a go-kart thing I made at home last summer :smile: At interviews I went to people had anything from a shelf to a laser cutter, and if youre not restricted by coursework then try to do something you enjoy and thats original :smile:

Well done to those who got the scholarship!
Same thing here, not very nice! I asked for feedback from my coordinator and the chief executive is replying soon. You could do the same if it makes you feel better, I want to know which part of my application wasn't good enough so hopefully I'll find out

Posted from TSR Mobile
is anyone here going to the award ceremony in london on the 31st (tomorrow)? also, has everyone here heard from their sponsors already? i haven't had my reply yet but i'm supposed to meet them tomorrow!
Reply 114
Yep going tomorrow to london
Yeah I'll be there tomorrow. I emailed my sponsor a while ago and he replied to me basically saying I'll meet him at the ceremony and he's looking into work experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My son achieved a scholarship from LRET. It gave him unprecedented access to leaders in the field he wanted to study at University. Generally the Scholarship got him 'looked at'. but made no contribution to the final offer of a place at University. If you don't get the grades...you won't get the place. The Scholarship grant is carefully monitored as to where you spend it...but that is not a problem if you intend spending it on your education. This award is generally highly regarded by potential Universities and future employers. Just be yourself. Think like an engineer and don't 'guess'..engineers don't guess! Think any answer through carefully and be prepared for the interview. Any outside activity, such as voluntary work (especially if it is the area you wish to study) counts towards you getting a scholarship. You need to 'sell' yourself...talk about how YOU will fit in and what YOU have to offer in the future. Good luck with it, and I hope you get as much out of it as my son got. A fantastic opportunity...don't waste it.
Reply 117
Original post by a_quiet_person

Good luck!

I know its a full two years later now... but did you get the scholarship?
Reply 118
Original post by kyraaalm

Hi,
I know its been a full two years but I'm applying now for the Arkwright Scholarship and your post caught my attention, because like you, I'm also interested in software engineering. And it seemed from the applications and their website that they're more geared towards the mechanical and the industrial side of things. I assumed that an interested in software engineering would put me at disadvantage.

So how was your experience applying with an interest in software? Were you offered a place?

Thanks.
Original post by h.rv
Hi,
I know its been a full two years but I'm applying now for the Arkwright Scholarship and your post caught my attention, because like you, I'm also interested in software engineering. And it seemed from the applications and their website that they're more geared towards the mechanical and the industrial side of things. I assumed that an interested in software engineering would put me at disadvantage.

So how was your experience applying with an interest in software? Were you offered a place?

Thanks.

Hi, I received my schoarship this year and just so you knwo you're definitely not at a disadvanatged with an interest in software! They have contacts everywhere in the industry so no matter what you want to do they can accomodate it, I'm sponsored my the Nuclear Institute seen as thought I'm intereste in nuclear and they really do know everyone. Also the awards ceremoneies this year (well at least the London ones) were sponsored by GCHQ who have opened but a new branch for cyber secuirty and they've sponsored loads of scholars and of course they're always on the look out for more so don't feel put out at all you'll be in with just the same chance as everyone else. Besides even if they can't find a company or individual who fits for software they have different funds and they Arkwright fund who can sponsor scholars who they couldn't find companies for. If you've got any questions at all otherwise feel free to ask!

Latest