The Student Room Group

London vs. The Regions

Hey!

So late spring/early summer I'll be applying for training contracts and I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons between London and the regions. I'm looking to get some other people's view on this to try and help form my decision.

So far I have:

London Pro's:
Higher salary,
Legal/Financial hub of Europe (World),
Wider variety of firms = Can apply to firms more suited to me as an applicant (therefore hopefully increasing chances of TC)
Fantastic city
Generally higher value transactions/well-known clients

London Con's:
Ridiculous rent prices for a probably not-so-great flat,
No chance of buying a decent property until at least on £100k (so likely mid-30s),
Higher cost of living - does this balance out with salary compared to regions?
Maybe less disposable income
30 minute each way commutes likely (based on Zone 2 living)

Region Pro's:
Cheaper rent,
More likely to purchase property younger,
More disposable income,
Cheaper cost of living,
Can probably walk to work if living in the city (know you can with Leeds/Manchester/Birmingham) therefore no real commute

Region Con's:
Less salary,
Smaller trainee intake so maybe smaller social circle (if moving to a new city anyway)
Possibly more of the bottom-line work if office of national firm (Pinsents, DLA)

If anyone can add their opinions I'd be hugely grateful!

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not a law graduate so I can't advise you on job opportunities. I moved to London to do my MA and I've been working here since. I'd say go for it if you think you'll be happy there but don't do it just because you think you'll be more likely to find a good job. I'm not happy in London and I'm hoping to move back home soon but some of my friends love it. London can be a very lonely place. I think you have to be very confident and outgoing which I'm not. People come and go and it can be difficult to make friends at work.

Housing prices are very high in London so most people eventually leave the city. Most Londoners I studied with had about a 1 hour commute. I have a small room in Zone 2 and I'm paying more rent than my friend who has a 2 bedroom flat in Liverpool.
Original post by unluckyinlaw1
Hey!

So late spring/early summer I'll be applying for training contracts and I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons between London and the regions. I'm looking to get some other people's view on this to try and help form my decision.

So far I have:

London Pro's:
Higher salary,
Legal/Financial hub of Europe (World), it really REALLY is. London is a world city
Wider variety of firms = Can apply to firms more suited to me as an applicant (therefore hopefully increasing chances of TC)
Fantastic city super fantastic stuff going on all the time almost everywhere
Generally higher value transactions/well-known clients
Wider variety of firms = more potential career moves further down the line = everyone doesn't know eachother
A high return on property investment (when you get to a position to buy, which you will)
It's diverse, which is important to me

London Con's:
Ridiculous rent prices for a probably not-so-great flat, live further out and travel in
No chance of buying a decent property until at least on £100k (so likely mid-30s), nonsense! I don't know anyone who earns that but most people end up with some property. It's all about the deposit. Don't forget, you prob won't be buying alone.
Higher cost of living - does this balance out with salary compared to regions? Travel is very expensive in London - otherwise, I think it is more a 'there is a lot more things to spend money on' thing
Maybe less disposable income
30 minute each way commutes likely (based on Zone 2 living) eh? this is a tiny travel time!! Really there is lots and lots of endless crowded travel delay. It takes one hour and ten minutes to get anywhere but the closest place. You spend a lot on taxis. Great swathes of london are not on the tube.

Region Pro's:
Cheaper rent,
More likely to purchase property younger,
More disposable income,
Cheaper cost of living,
Can probably walk to work if living in the city (know you can with Leeds/Manchester/Birmingham) so cute! therefore no real commute
More likely to be able to live how you want ie near water, or a market, or by the sea
schools

Region Con's:
Less salary,
Smaller trainee intake so maybe smaller social circle (if moving to a new city anyway)
Possibly more of the bottom-line work if office of national firm (Pinsents, DLA)
possibly racist culture/lack of diversity
inescapable hemmed in feeling...
rather thin on the ground cultural/arts scene

If anyone can add their opinions I'd be hugely grateful!
You haven't mentioned the main reasons why people might want to live in one geographical reason or another: family ties. So, if you are thinking of applying to a regional law firm, be aware that this law firm is very likely going to want people who will hang around/know something about the area. Otherwise what's to stop you leaving once qualified? In terms of London - it can get under your skin and then the idea of living anywhere else is hard to contemplate. Basically - small towns can have a vibe of their own. London has many different vibes all over the place. I came to London from Manchester twenty years ago and I still get a little thrill going over Waterloo bridge. Plus, really, it is the centre and capital, but that is not to say you can't work in an interesting law firm outside London.

London does take a bit of time to 'bed in' but in the end you live here just like all the other millions of londoners not from london. As a trainee, your support and social system will be other trainees.
Thanks

my advice is to think of this from the firm's point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending