The Student Room Group

Living away from home and getting a grant for uni

Evening all. I am currently moving out of my home and I will be living alone by myself in rented accommodation that I will be paying for myself. I currently work and I pay all my bills myself. Today I went to the guidance center at college to talk to them about UNI. I have my offers and I have made my choice. When we came to talk about finance she explained to me that I will be eligible for a grant from the government because I will be living away an I am on quite a low income but other than that she did not tell me much more. How do I go about getting this grant and who do I need to see or speak to. What needs to happen? Help is appreciated

Pascal
Go on student finance website. It's part of gov.com. Put in your details etc. Not sure what the age limit is tho, I'm presuming your a teen? Grant maximum is around 3/4000 but you can take out loans too. And you don't have to pay them back till you earn over a certain amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Here's the Student Finance site where you can get an estimate of how much you'll be entitled to in Maintenance Loans and Grants:

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680136&_dad=portal

A word of warning, that for the majority of applicants, the Student Finance money they get won't cover the cost of renting a 1-bed or studio flat so that they can live alone. Students are generally funded so that they can live in uni-owned shared accommodation or a room in a shared private rented house/flat. Many people have to work part-time in order to keep up with bills. You won't get any extra SF because you're already living in your own private rented place which has higher rent.

If you're 24 or under, then your entitlement will automatically be calculated on your parents' income unless there are particular circumstances e.g. you've been financially self-supporting for the last three years (which will be difficult to prove if you're only just moving out now).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Here's the Student Finance site where you can get an estimate of how much you'll be entitled to in Maintenance Loans and Grants:

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680136&_dad=portal

A word of warning, that for the majority of applicants, the Student Finance money they get won't cover the cost of renting a 1-bed or studio flat so that they can live alone. Students are generally funded so that they can live in uni-owned shared accommodation or a room in a shared private rented house/flat. Many people have to work part-time in order to keep up with bills. You won't get any extra SF because you're already living in your own private rented place which has higher rent.

If you're 24 or under, then your entitlement will automatically be calculated on your parents' income unless there are particular circumstances e.g. you've been financially self-supporting for the last three years (which will be difficult to prove if you're only just moving out now).

Hmmm. I know I will be able to prove that I am living alone as I can show bank transfers for rent, food receipts and provide the people who are arranging the finance and grants with statements. I guess I will be able to show only 7 months of living alone because thats how long it will be when I move out. I am looking to keep my loans as low as possible as I am currently working 31 hours a week and studying 3 days in college. I do not have a day off.

Pascal
Reply 4
My aim is to pay for as much stuff as I can.

Pascal
Given your circumstances If you are under 25 you will be assessed on your parents' income.
Reply 6
Original post by menor95
Hmmm. I know I will be able to prove that I am living alone as I can show bank transfers for rent, food receipts and provide the people who are arranging the finance and grants with statements. I guess I will be able to show only 7 months of living alone because thats how long it will be when I move out. I am looking to keep my loans as low as possible as I am currently working 31 hours a week and studying 3 days in college. I do not have a day off.

Pascal

Don't know where my post went, but thats not what they want to see. They want to see evidence you've earned £7,500 for three or more years before starting uni or are over 25 or married.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending