The Student Room Group

Why Private Schools are Better

Scroll to see replies

Such snobbery! Bristol isn't even all that anyway to be honest..
Reply 2
Original post by Secretnerd123

Oy!!

I went to Bristol :tongue:
Reply 3
Looks like the TSR poster :P

The comments are good.
All true. Plebs gonna pleb.
Original post by redferry
Oy!!

But that person needs to humble themselves. Its hardly Oxbridge lol
Reply 6
But that person needs to humble themselves. Its hardly Oxbridge lol

Its sort of closeish? :cry:
Snobbish and naive tone aside, some of it is true.

Generally speaking, private schools have better facilities and teaching, smaller class sizes, a more stimulating ethos and environment, and are better at getting students into good universities. After all, there's a reason parents pay so much money to send their children there.

State schools do have their advantages though, and there are many excellent ones which rival the best private schools.
Reply 8
Oy!!

Which is fine if you went to state school.

But if your parents paid 10k+ per year for your education, you shouldn't advertise they spent that to help get you into Bristol...

Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL (possibly) then its somewhat acceptable, Bristol?
I think the article is right the author is wrong. Private schools are better, I'm sure most state school students such as myself realised this when the first chair flew past them in a lesson, or they had a cover teacher for the 6 months before their exams and a video to watch.

that because they went to a state school they’ve earned their place at Bristol more than I have

You worked yes, but clearly not as hard as someone who achieved the same grades without the raft of benefits you just mentioned, that's why they are beneficial rather than things that just happen and have no effect. Parents don't spend £15,000 a year because their child will have to work just as hard to get the same result.

They aren't less deserving of their place the point is you need to be good at your subject and how you got good or why you aren't good isn't really relevant in your selection.
Reply 10
Its sort of closeish? :cry:

Yeah, as is Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, York, St Andrews...
Wouldn't send my kids to private school even if I was stinking rich. Would rather they had life experience at a comp or grammar with a wide range of "clientele".
One of the comments in the article is spot on "Money may buy you a good education but it won't buy you social skills and common sense".

Fair enough if someone has the opportunity to go to a private school, there is nothing wrong with that. But when people start saying how they will turn out better than someone who went to a state school is ridiculous.

I may get criticised, but I do feel that if there was two students. One from a private school and one from a state school who got onto a good course at a university like Bristol or Oxford with the same grades then I would think that the person from the state school worked harder for it.
Reply 13
Original post by Quady
Which is fine if you went to state school.

But if your parents paid 10k+ per year for your education, you shouldn't advertise they spent that to help get you into Bristol...

Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL (possibly) then its somewhat acceptable, Bristol?

Actually totes onside with this.
Reply 14
Original post by Quady
Yeah, as is Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, York, St Andrews...

Noooo my hopes and dreams are shattered!

Jk I didn't even apply to Oxbridge.

Just about the only person at Brizzle that didn't
Reply 15
Original post by Fizzel
IYou worked yes, but clearly not as hard as someone who achieved the same grades without the raft of benefits you just mentioned, that's why they are beneficial rather than things that just happen and have no effect. Parents don't spend £15,000 a year because their child will have to work just as hard to get the same result.

I look at it a bit more simply.

If you went to private school, go to university and look at someone who went to state school, you'll know they got the better deal. Their family is relatively about £75k up.

I don't think either 'deserved their place more'. But the one who paid got ripped off to be in the same position.
Reply 16

It is complete snobbery!! I went to private school but I don't go shouting in other people's faces, "I'm better than you because I was privileged enough to be given such a chance at having a good education". It does give people who understand how lucky they were to go to private school a bit of an unfair label, simply because other people are absolute a*ses about their education
Reply 17
Private schools are better ofc, although I do idd find it funny she believes that private pupils are smarter.

The state schooled would have got similar grades to you, yet didn't get the bonus of private education.
Original post by arrolb4
It is complete snobbery!! I went to private school but I don't go shouting in other people's faces, "I'm better than you because I was privileged enough to be given such a chance at having a good education". It does give people who understand how lucky they were to go to private school a bit of an unfair label, simply because other people are absolute a*ses about their education

Unfortunately not all have the same attitude. I know many people who went to state schools with better grades than those who went private..
Reply 19
Noooo my hopes and dreams are shattered!

Jk I didn't even apply to Oxbridge.

Just about the only person at Brizzle that didn't

Haha, nothing against Bristol, its a good place.

I went to Bath and that had quite a few people who went to private school and seemed to think I should be impressed by them. Nope, we're both in the same boat, its not really 'a thing' either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending