The Student Room Group

UKIP Members Mock Nelson Mandela's Death and Call for Apartheid 'Reappraisal'

UKIP members pour scorn on Nelson Mandela and claim he "did nothing" for Britain, call for a "reappraisal" of the apartheid regime and suggest that some are "intended by nature" to be slaves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/13/nelson-mandela-apartheid-ukip_n_4587828.html

This is just unbelievable!
My honest opinion is that if they didn't like Nelson Mandela and wanted to express that on a members only forum, that isn't a problem and they are entitled to their opinions.

Going back to something as disgusting and backwards as apartheid though is another matter entirely. How people can still think this way in 2014 is beyond depressing, and quoting someone from 2,400 years ago is no justification either. Farage surely has to suspend the membership of the offenders.
Reply 2
Yet another UKIP non story by the huffington post.
It's their own private forum. Their views are ridiculous but what can you do
White people are being driven out of South Africa and I am led to believe blacks have preference over whites for government jobs. Apartheid is coming back to South Africa, but this time it is the black people causing it.
Reply 5
UKIP is showing its true low class colours.
Quite a misleading article. From what I gather, ONE member made those disgusting comments about apartheid, and at least one other member called him up on it...is that about the long and short of it?
Reply 7
They see me trollin' ...

The UKIP leadership must really be facepalming whenever something like this comes out. I almost feel sorry for them, you take several steps forward and then some brainless moron decides to drag you back into the dark ages. Still, I suppose it's like that in any job ... and at the end of the day they can't do a purge, they need the numbers.

I have studied the FN, and UKIP are just the same as they were circa 1995. Twenty years(!!) down the line, they have managed to broaden their appeal and do away with a lot of the bone-headed racist stuff while still remaining populist. And they are in a sense "in power" in France: they've had the conservatives running scared and desperately adopting their policies since 2002.

The next year is crucial to UKIP and if they don't make a breakthrough at the 2015 election I doubt they ever will.
Reply 8
Original post by Alfissti
UKIP is showing its true low class colours.

Is it? These are the posts of one forum member. Whatever your views on UKIP to take one person's view as one held by the entire party is just wrong.
Reply 9
well clearly they've joined the wrong political party and have covered the party in slime
if a green party member said something like this but about stalinism, we'd probably get a story from the daily mail
It says more about the media than it does about UKIP. Its not someone standing for UKIP or a UKIP leader, it some guy who was able to pay a membership fee and gain access to a computer. I could do the same on a LibDems website in about 10 minutes. As the article points out plenty of BNP voters are going to be swinging to vote UKIP because of their protest vote option and their stance on things such as Europe and immigration, so I'd imagine this guy won't be the last.
Reply 11
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Quite a misleading article. From what I gather, ONE member made those disgusting comments about apartheid, and at least one other member called him up on it...is that about the long and short of it?

Essentially, yes.

Complete non story. It's like someone's dickhead mate saying a racist joke down the pub and everybody else going "calm down, you've had enough".
Original post by Jefferson Disk
UKIP members pour scorn on Nelson Mandela and claim he "did nothing" for Britain, call for a "reappraisal" of the apartheid regime and suggest that some are "intended by nature" to be slaves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/13/nelson-mandela-apartheid-ukip_n_4587828.html

This is just unbelievable!

UKIP member*

I don't like UKIP, but these things were said by just one person. This is hardly anything to work up a fuss about.
I do almost feel for UKIP when articles like this emerge. There is a similar parallel with Islam at the moment and I think it is rather hypocritical of left wingers to criticise or deride UKIP on the basis of one or two extremist members.

Now I have no interest in defending UKIP and abhor the party and its proposed policies, but I don't think it's fair to denigrate the party or self-titled 'man of the people', Nigel Farage, on the basis of a small group of members.

I agree with the view that we shouldn't be having a go at all Muslims because of, for example, the Lee Rigby murder. Where is the difference in principle here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh please, we could probably search the depths of Labour/Tory/Lib Dem message boards/forums/private discussions and find something controversial.

Talk about scraping the barrel...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending