The Student Room Group

Katie Hopkins goes to work as a cleaner to shame 'workshy scroungers' on Benefits Str

What do you think of this?

If people on benefits can buy a large screen TV, then she does have a point :eek:

Scroll to see replies

leave them alone. i was somewhat pissed by romanians with no jobs coming to london. what is stopping them from committing a crime? but then i thought if they come after me i could easily take them down. still where do they get their basic human needs satisfied like sex?
She's just looking for attention as per usual. The only surprise is that she's not looking for bad publicity in this case.
Rather than putting on her cleaning gear and trying work on a minimum wage zero hour contract clean job (as is implied) she literally puts clean clothes on as a stunt.

Next you should remember this woman has made money (and a lot of it) from being VERY controversial about right wing attitudes to welfare.

Also, benefits currently count at £53 a week, tell me exactly how someone earning £53 a week can afford a large flat screen hd tv.

This woman is a bag of air who's manipulated the headlines to further her purse strings, which she has done very well.

Anyone who believes everyone (or even, the majority) of people on benefits is
A) there because they don't want to work
B) drinking/doing drugs/commiting crimes all day
C) or defrauding the state

Has fallen foul of the right wing and is incredibly misinformed. Most people on benefits would snap your hand off for a job and have earned the right to be on benefits for paying taxes over the years. Living on £53 a week isn't pleasant.

Don't believe every paper headline you read about "scroungers" (or any, in fact) have a heart and some sympathy for people who have to rely on food parcels to live and realise how important it is to have a good, encouraging welfare policy in our country.

Removing the under-25 housing benefits is also SO SO SO ageist and many people come from broken families where they have no home support, something Etonians will never grasp or care about.

Don't give this woman any more publicity than she has already gotten, it will just make her worse.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have no idea why people take notice from her.
She is crazy, but she has a point.

A lot of British people think they're too good for those jobs.

Original post by That Bearded Man
Also, benefits currently count at £53 a week, tell me exactly how someone earning £53 a week can afford a large flat screen hd tv.

Well, don't they get their housing/bills paid for as well? You can pick up large flat screen TVs for a couple houndred quid.

People on benefits probably buy them hot off a stolen lorry for less than a hundred.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS

Well, don't they get their housing/bills paid for as well? You can pick up large flat screen TVs for a couple houndred quid.

People on benefits probably buy them hot off a stolen lorry for less than a hundred.

No they don't, they get housing benefit, which is a fixed amount more often than not which is less than the rent you pay. Electric paid for? Ehh, no.
Reply 7
It really is a shame that most people enjoy a juicy story about shaming benefit 'scroungers' rather than educating themselves on the realities of people living on welfare. Most benefits are actually paid to the elderly, not unemployed single parents like a lot of these stories would have you believe. It's just human nature, I suppose, and those stories sell.

It's so easy to get the little people pointing the finger at each other for their own shortcomings, to take attention away from the bigger picture of economic disparity.
Just watched that Benefits Street doc, makes me feel sick

Having to film that guy knowing he was shoplifting, ughh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Just watched that Benefits Street doc, makes me feel sick

Having to film that guy knowing he was shoplifting, ughh.

It's a very interesting piece of social commentary especially the second episode. The series so far said alot about Modern Britain
(edited 10 years ago)
If you get wummed by her you deserve to get wummed. She's entertaining.

The bigger pricks are the people who moan about her yet continue to give her the attention she craves.
Original post by sevchenko
It's a very interesting piece of social commentary especially the second episode. The series so far said alot about Modern Britain

I just watched the first only. Was so happy when that guy got arrested. Just can't believe they're PROUD of not working, and the government "having to spend money and go through court" to get rid of them.

That one guy with over 200 convictions and he's shoplifting straight away. Needs the death penalty bringing back, because it's obvious some people will never change
Not all benefit users are scroungers, they are in fact really smart, they see how easy it is to fiddle a stupid system!
I just watched the first only. Was so happy when that guy got arrested. Just can't believe they're PROUD of not working, and the government "having to spend money and go through court" to get rid of them.

That one guy with over 200 convictions and he's shoplifting straight away. Needs the death penalty bringing back, because it's obvious some people will never change

The dangers of Capitalism in a nutshell
Reply 14
I notice how there is no side of the story of the people on benefits. (That stupid tv program only shows the idiots that take it for granted).

My household lives off one income which is my mum and i. I dont claim job seekers as im currently sick (im not going into it so dont start nitpicking).

We claim housing benefit which is £150 and our rent is £425. We also get about £70 ish pound every wednesday which is spent on food and the gas and electric (we have a meter what we put money on ourselves).

Not everyone on benefits are scroungers. There are a lot of older people (like mums and dads who are 50+) that were brought up in coal mining/cotton mill/factory based towns so they have little qualifications/are happy with small paying jobs as its what theyve had all their life.

My mum earns 800-1000£ a month (depending on the hours she works- if she does any overtime). We have internet and tv as its our ONLY luxuary. We dont go to the cinema, we dont have holidays, no gym passes, neither of us can drive as we cant afford it.

Im sick of people thinking that people on benefits are all like those ***** on tv.
Original post by Shazzarr
I notice how there is no side of the story of the people on benefits. (That stupid tv program only shows the idiots that take it for granted).

My household lives off one income which is my mum and i. I dont claim job seekers as im currently sick (im not going into it so dont start nitpicking).

We claim housing benefit which is £150 and our rent is £425. We also get about £70 ish pound every wednesday which is spent on food and the gas and electric (we have a meter what we put money on ourselves).

Not everyone on benefits are scroungers. There are a lot of older people (like mums and dads who are 50+) that were brought up in coal mining/cotton mill/factory based towns so they have little qualifications/are happy with small paying jobs as its what theyve had all their life.

My mum earns 800-1000£ a month (depending on the hours she works- if she does any overtime). We have internet and tv as its our ONLY luxuary. We dont go to the cinema, we dont have holidays, no gym passes, neither of us can drive as we cant afford it.

Im sick of people thinking that people on benefits are all like those ***** on tv.

The people on these shows don't work though, and have no intentions to work. Even yourself, if you were to claim JSA, as long as you intend to use it as help while you find a job that would be okay, especially since your mum is paying tax too.

I wouldn't paint you with the same brush as the people on these TV shows.
Reply 16

Can you blame them?

We have one family for whom it seems perfectly acceptable not to work (unless you count waving) and to live of the state. In a society that apparantly champions equality why should any other family have to work?
Reply 17
The people on these shows don't work though, and have no intentions to work. Even yourself, if you were to claim JSA, as long as you intend to use it as help while you find a job that would be okay, especially since your mum is paying tax too.

I wouldn't paint you with the same brush as the people on these TV shows.

The people on the tv shows are the ones making the bad names for us. If the benefits changed it wouldnt just affect the lazy ones but the hard working ones what wipes backsides for a living but gets credited so low.
It just grinds my gears when everyone assumes that people on benefits are all lazy schmucks, thats all ^^
Some people really work hard to get by.
There are a lot of people that take advantage of the benefits system, but just know there are people that are legitimate and are trying to get back on their feet.
Reply 19
Increase the JSA. It's not as high as more superior European countries and needs to be increased.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending