The Student Room Group

Cambridge on Attendance

What percentage attendance do most universities (Cambrdige in particular, couldn't find anything on this in their website!) want from applicants? (I'm in a level at the moment, and my attendance is really bad :colondollar: )
Thanks!
Original post by WCF
What percentage attendance do most universities (Cambrdige in particular, couldn't find anything on this in their website!) want from applicants? (I'm in a level at the moment, and my attendance is really bad :colondollar: )
Thanks!

I don't think they will know about your attendance unless your referee mentions it.

But why would someone with Cambridge aspirations not be attending school/college?
If you don't turn up to school then your chances of getting the grades to go to Cambridge are exceedingly low, so this is something of a moot point.

However, they won't know unless your referee mentions it, and whilst your referee can't lie, they also shouldn't mention things that do not reflect well upon you. You can, however, be damned by omission, with the admissions tutors wondering why your attendance has not been mentioned

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
They won't know or care, unless your referee mentions it. Similarly, they're not going to expect referees to write "wow this student's attendance is so high", because attending your classes is a basic minimum standard that they'll be expecting from their students... As has already been said, the biggest concern would be that you're less likely to make your grades if you're skipping classes - and if you're skipping classes already, it's going to get a lot harder to motivate yourself to attend at university when nobody is monitoring your attendance.
Original post by WCF
Thanks!

My attendance hasn't been as good since the beginning of year 12 as my lower school attendance (I'm ill A LOT, sinuses :mad:) but I got an offer so I doubt they look into it too much? I also highly doubt that any uni requires that kind of information, I think any teachers' mentions of it are a scare tactic :P
Reply 5
Original post by CamLSP
They won't know or care, unless your referee mentions it. Similarly, they're not going to expect referees to write "wow this student's attendance is so high", because attending your classes is a basic minimum standard that they'll be expecting from their students... As has already been said, the biggest concern would be that you're less likely to make your grades if you're skipping classes - and if you're skipping classes already, it's going to get a lot harder to motivate yourself to attend at university when nobody is monitoring your attendance.

I'm getting A*'s in the mock exams and I already got an A* in A Level Maths when I did it in year 12 (I did the whole A level). I mainly stay at home a lot of the time because college wastes so much of my energy. I get up in the morning, go to college and then stay in lessons for the whole day, then I go home tired and can't be bothered to get any work done. When I stay at home I'm more motivated, and all the distractions from friends and students are at a minimum, so I can actually do solid work at home.

Do you think I'll be fine then? (Seeing as the only concerns people have raised are of the "your grades will drop" type)

I do go sometimes, but only like 2 lessons a week. :colondollar:

Thnks! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WCF
I'm getting A*'s in the mock exams and I already got an A* in A Level Maths when I did it in year 12 (I did the whole A level). I mainly stay at home a lot of the time because college wastes so much of my energy. I get up in the morning, go to college and then stay in lessons for the whole day, then I go home tired and can't be bothered to get any work done. When I stay at home I'm more motivated, and all the distractions from friends and students are at a minimum, so I can actually do solid work at home.

Do you think I'll be fine then? (Seeing as the only concerns people have raised are of the "your grades will drop" type)

I do go sometimes, but only like 2 lessons a week. :colondollar:

Thnks! :smile:

Interesting. But have you read the various threads about the large amount of work that Cambridge (and Oxford) students have to do every week? What subject(s) are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Interesting. But have you read the various threads about the large amount of work that Cambridge (and Oxford) students have to do every week? What subject(s) are you thinking of applying for?

Maths, and I already do LOTS of maths in my spare time. In fact, I do maths almost every hour of my spare time, so that shouldn't be a problem. It's just other subjects I do that I find boring, but after this year I'm free to just do math. :smile: I don't think the workload will be a problem at any university I choose to go to. I'm already learning abstract algebra (http://people.reed.edu/~jerry/332/mat.html).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WCF
Maths, and I already do LOTS of maths in my spare time. In fact, I do maths almost every hour of my spare time, so that shouldn't be a problem. It's just other subjects I do that I find boring, but after this year I'm free to just do math. :smile: I don't think the workload will be a problem at any university I choose to go to. I'm already learning abstract algebra (http://people.reed.edu/~jerry/332/mat.html).

Well, the Cambridge Maths timetable is available via http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/lecturelists/ but by the sound of it, Maths is like oxygen to you? If so, the workload presumably wouldn't be an issue?

Out of interest, what UMS did you get in your A2 Maths and your AS exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending