The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I turned 32 a few weeks ago,though when first started uni in September last year said 28 as look that if not younger. and felt unsure of myself bring a mature student,but ya know....there are so many different age groups at many universities that there really is no issue.
There are 19 Years old mingling with 46 years old at my uni.
What are you thinking of studying?
I say go for it.
I have joined the anti-zombie society at my uni as there does appear to be a sizable section of zombie-sheep mentality there...then again...much like the rest of the world:-)
Reply 2
well that's the thing i am not totally shore I was going to go and talk to Southampton and see if we can come up with something last time I did IT but there are no job prospects the unless you have experience or a first (2 things i don't have) . I want to do something where i can help people I thought maybe nursing but I am not to good with blood and vomit but i can always just suck it up and grow a pair right?
Reply 3
I'm 25 but I'll turn 26 just prior to starting my course. Never been to Uni and been out of education for almost 7 years so it's a bit nerve wracking to go back now. But I feel like I'm ready for it.
Reply 4
I have been out for 5 years and i am planning to try nursing
Reply 5
Tough one. It depends what you're like. If you're going to be all serious, then best to get in with the mature students. If you're a bit of a pi$$ wizard, then might as well go in with everyone else.
Reply 6
I'm 34 I've applied for midwifery and i am currently waiting to hear if I'm successful
I'm 29 and doing a CertHE in Life Sciences. I'm doing it at Birkbeck but I guess I'm slightly older than the average student. This is offset by the fact that I act somewhat younger! Looking to do a Physiotherapy degree next year. Definitely better now than never if it's what you want.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm 24 and mid rank in age at my college :-)
Reply 9
I'm 48, and the oldest Access student in my college. It's fine though. The other students don't treat me any differently.
Reply 11
I'm 21 will be 22 when I get there and definitely don't want to be put in a 'mature hall,' do what makes you feel more comfortable. There are loads of people on my access course who are 19, which is a bit weird but then quite a few who are 40 and over. If you like to go out don't mind the noise and want the 'uni experience' go for halls. Go in with an open attitude and you'll be fine but If you think you'll fit in better with the matures do that. For most unis there's an opportunity to swap if you really don't like where you end up anyway.
Reply 12
I'll be 28 years old when I go in September and it's without a doubt scary but very exciting! As I'm in Northern Ireland and have applied to Edinburgh Napier (conditional offer given), John Moores in Liverpool and Chester I'm curious about accommodation and is it *cool* for someone of my age to live in halls? I would like to experience the whole student experience.
Reply 13
If I get into university this year I will be 28. I have never lived in halls. I didn't even realise they would separate mature students from everyone else in halls even if the mature students were on board!

When I was at college then at uni for my first degree there were people of all ages (well, from teenagers to late 30s) and everyone treated each other the same and spent time together. I don't know if that was the norm though, we were very small classes doing very practical courses that involved spending a lot of time together filming stuff etc outside of uni hours.
I am 35 and there are other students in my class over 50 and some who are just 19. Everyone is nice and friendly. I am doing gcse btw
Reply 15
I'm 27. I don't feel any different on a day to day basis and I'm glad when I do because it's normally in terms of me being a bit more focused than the younger students. There are students in my department ranging from 18 to late 60s.
Reply 16
I'll be 21 when I go to uni in September. On an Access Course at the moment and the ages range in the class from 19 to 46. I should imagine if you're doing a course like Nursing there'll be a good mix of ages. I imagine it to be the type of course not many 18 year olds straight from school go for (just assuming haha). I've noticed in the Health Access course at my college (people going into nursing type degrees) they all seem to be in their 20s-30s.
I'm 27 and currently on an Access course. I will be 28 when I start university. I would prefer to be in halls with other mature students than with 18 year olds, but I'm not a big party animal, and I have no desire to look after a bunch of 18 year olds away from home for the first time! I realise that is a stereotype, but I would prefer a quieter environment with people who are past the drinking until they throw up stage....
Reply 18
I just applied for a course at Brunel. I have a degree in Sociology (I don't know what I was thinking at the time) but I want to speicalise in Occupational Therapy. I will be 29 if I do get in.
Reply 19
I am 37, currently studying access to nursing and have applied to do Bsc nursing adult branch.:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending