The Student Room Group

Getting a tattoo designed

So I've been wanting a particular tattoo done for a year or so now, but being **** at drawing myself and not having had the cash I haven't done anything about it yet. I know the basic premise, and I can sort of visualise it in my mind, but I was wondering if my description would be enough to get a working design, or whether I need to be more specific:

I want a small padlock, a plain black outline and the main bit filled in red, this sort of shape:

Then I want a black chain encircling it, in either an oval cameo shape or just a circle.

I've done a couple of doodles of it too (not sure where they are but can do another), and I'm planning on finding pictures of the sort of style I want it in.

I'm flexible on size to an extent (I'm thinking just an inch or so high, but if the artist thinks that's a bit small or big I might change my mind), and am thinking probably around the hip area.

Does that sound like an adequate description for a tattoo artist to get started with, and could anyone give me a rough cost for getting it designed and actually done?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by superwolf
So I've been wanting a particular tattoo done for a year or so now, but being **** at drawing myself and not having had the cash I haven't done anything about it yet. I know the basic premise, and I can sort of visualise it in my mind, but I was wondering if my description would be enough to get a working design, or whether I need to be more specific:

I want a small padlock, a plain black outline and the main bit filled in red, this sort of shape:

Then I want a black chain encircling it, in either an oval cameo shape or just a circle.

I've done a couple of doodles of it too (not sure where they are but can do another), and I'm planning on finding pictures of the sort of style I want it in.

I'm flexible on size to an extent (I'm thinking just an inch or so high, but if the artist thinks that's a bit small or big I might change my mind), and am thinking probably around the hip area.

Does that sound like an adequate description for a tattoo artist to get started with, and could anyone give me a rough cost for getting it designed and actually done?

Thanks. :smile:

Depends where you go really, different tattoo artists charge different amounts. They'll design the piece for free and then some charge by the hour or by the piece. It'll have to be bigger than an inch as over time it'll just turn into a black blob. Go to a reputable artist or email one and describe what you want with any references you have and they'll be able to help you.
Reply 2
Original post by SweetNothing
Depends where you go really, different tattoo artists charge different amounts. They'll design the piece for free and then some charge by the hour or by the piece. It'll have to be bigger than an inch as over time it'll just turn into a black blob. Go to a reputable artist or email one and describe what you want with any references you have and they'll be able to help you.

Thanks, I'll look around for a good artist and see. :smile: I suspected an inch might be a bit small, but this is my first one so wasn't sure!
Thanks, I'll look around for a good artist and see. :smile: I suspected an inch might be a bit small, but this is my first one so wasn't sure!

No problem! What part of the UK are you from and I'll recommend some good artists for you. Yeaah an inch will be wayy to small especially for something with a bit of detail in it.
Reply 4
No problem! What part of the UK are you from and I'll recommend some good artists for you. Yeaah an inch will be wayy to small especially for something with a bit of detail in it.

Manchester. :smile: I'm currently liking the look of Sacred Art in Chorlton, have you heard of them by any chance?
I had a quick look of their work and they're not the best. In Manchester I'd recommend someone at Rain City Tattoo or Phil Wilkinson https://www.facebook.com/pwtattooer?fref=ts
Reply 6
I had a quick look of their work and they're not the best. In Manchester I'd recommend someone at Rain City Tattoo or Phil Wilkinson https://www.facebook.com/pwtattooer?fref=ts

Not so keen on the second guy, but Rain City looks good, and is actually pretty near where I live! :awesome: Have sent them a message asking for more info. :smile:
Go to a reputable tattooist and make some inquiries about pricing for drawing up designs. What you've described certainly gives a good idea of what you want so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to give you some kind of idea of pricing. Some tattooists have Facebook accounts which you can send your ideas to and they'll send you back a quote and an idea of how long it would take to do :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
Go to a reputable tattooist and make some inquiries about pricing for drawing up designs. What you've described certainly gives a good idea of what you want so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to give you some kind of idea of pricing. Some tattooists have Facebook accounts which you can send your ideas to and they'll send you back a quote and an idea of how long it would take to do :smile:

Thanks, I've emailed a couple of places now, so hopefully that'll get the ball rolling! :biggrin:
Thanks, I've emailed a couple of places now, so hopefully that'll get the ball rolling! :biggrin:

No problem! Hopefully you'll get it done soon :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest