The Student Room Group

More countries warn UK against EU exit

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Now. I'm wondering why all these warnings are coming in. Does anyone actually think it's because the leaders of these countries are concerned about the UK's wellbeing? Or might it be more to do with the fact that these countries have something to lose if the UK leaves the EU?

My opinion on the EU is undecided, but this is not the business of Norway, the USA, Japan etc. It's the UK's decision.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by limetang
Now. I'm wondering why all these warnings are coming in. Does anyone actually think it's because the leaders of these countries are concerned about the UK's wellbeing? Or might it be more to do with the fact that these countries have something to lose if the UK leaves the EU?

My opinion on the EU is undecided, but this is not the business of Norway, the USA, Japan etc. It's the UK's decision.

100% correct these countries are not thinking house prices for Brits are going up, wages are going down, there are less jobs, NHS waiting times are longer, schools are overcrowding not at all.

They are looking after their own interests they like the UK in the EU because we can represent their interests particularly the English speaking nations who gain many benefits e.g. EU uses English language, we help with their trade etc they are in no way concerned about the effect of the EU on British people or the UK they are looking after number 1
Bottom line for me is that a countries own borders should be under its control. That the UK has given up this control is utterly shambolic. This video says what would take me a long time to type on various issues;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WGjszGksPc
Original post by limetang

Norway and Germany both trade with the UK. If the UK was to leave the EU, then we would be outside of the EEA, making trade with other European nations difficult and less economically competitive. Germany and Norway would not suffer too much from this, as they'd both be able to continue trading with other European nations. The UK, on the other hand, wouldn't.

Japan is probably concerned about this as the UK acts as a 'gate-way' into the EU for them. If we are outside of the EU then the UK would lose this business-attracting quality.

From your Australia link you've also got big companies like BAE saying they don't think EU regulations are good for Britain. These countries are not in a position to know what is best for our country in the slightest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, because these countries are advocating such position in order to protect the welfare of the UK. :rolleyes:

No, it's more likely that a UK exit will not be in their best interests in terms of trade, red tape, emigration of their own nationals, etc.
Reply 7
who are these countries warning, exactly? us the people or the prime minister?
and I hardly think it's any of these countries' business whether we stay in or not
we'll still be trading just like we were before the EU, unless they're going to embargo us, which would pretty much make the EU look like its throwing the toys out of its pram in the situation of how it can't control us any more
Reply 8
Original post by SHallowvale
Norway and Germany both trade with the UK. If the UK was to leave the EU, then we would be outside of the EEA, making trade with other European nations difficult and less economically competitive. Germany and Norway would not suffer too much from this, as they'd both be able to continue trading with other European nations. The UK, on the other hand, wouldn't.

Japan is probably concerned about this as the UK acts as a 'gate-way' into the EU for them. If we are outside of the EU then the UK would lose this business-attracting quality.

Of course that's true. There would be downsides to leaving the EU. And i don't think there are many people who'd claim otherwise. There are also upsides to leaving though, and the debate is over the balance.

You've pointed it out yourself though. What role does the UK play within Europe, and the answer is a pretty vital one. Leaders of foreign nations are rightly uneasy about the idea if the UK leaving the EU because it would severely affect them. The UK is a vital cog within world trade.

What I'm saying is that these people couldn't care less about what leaving the EU would do to the UK. The concern is that an EU without the UK in it would negatively impact to many nations.

Long story short. If leaving the EU would only affect the UK negatively. Nobody would be telling us not to di it. Not so much because they want bad things to happen to the UK, but because they really wouldn't care about us making a stupid decision that inky affects us, that's our business.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
As much as i normally don't agree with the skeptics they are correct here. The UK on many issues tends to form a voting block at the council level with countries like Germany, Netherlands, Austria and Finland (all rich developed markets with whom people want to trade). If the UK were to leave then these countries would be weakened somewhat as the less free market block of France, Spain and Italy would gain greater influence. Thus, it is in the interests of free market and big export countries to see the UK retain full membership so that it can have political influence.
Reply 10
Original post by Ace123
100% correct these countries are not thinking house prices for Brits are going up, wages are going down, there are less jobs, NHS waiting times are longer, schools are overcrowding not at all.

Most of the French living in London are either skilled workers or young entrepreneurs (escaping the French tax system).
Most of the British living in France are retired. As a result,
House prices may increase in London but may also increase in the south of France.
They create jobs for the British and tend to fill unfilled jobs (not all of course) and all pay their taxes.
I doubt that they use the NHS more than the British expats in France.
Their kids if any go to the French schools in London.
Their welfare system is more generous so I doubt they come here to claim benefits.

The French government spends huge amounts of money to provide free education for some of its residents who instead work and pay taxes in Britain, then retire back home requiring expensive health services...

Is it fair on France? That depends on how you perceive things! But as you are moaning then at least look at the advantages in the same way with the disadvantages regarding the EU.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Xtasyy
Most of the French living in London are either skilled workers or young entrepreneurs (escaping the French tax system).
Most of the British living in France are retired. As a result,
House prices may increase in London but may also increase in the south of France.
They create jobs for the British and tend to fill unfilled jobs (not all of course) and all pay their taxes.
I doubt that they use the NHS more than the British expats in France.
Their kids if any go to the French schools in London.
Their welfare system is more generous so I doubt they come here to claim benefits.

The French government spends huge amounts of money to provide free education for some of its residents who instead work and pay taxes in Britain, then retire back home requiring expensive health services...

Is it fair on France? That depends on how you perceive things! But as you are moaning then at least look at the advantages in the same way with the disadvantages regarding the EU.

What has France got to do with this?

Nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending