The Student Room Group

Fat acceptance thread (no fatphobia)

[video="youtube;8I2An1WCzAI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I2An1WCzAI#t=310[/video]

Scroll to see replies

"Fat Acceptance love your body" ...And risk unnecessary health problems, conditions, diseases, issues, illnesses (including mental illness) and so much more.

My favourite place on earth right now. (Okay, slight exaggeration, but it is really, really good!)
I support this. I don't understand why some people have such malice against fat folk (no I'm not fat)
Not sure how people justify hating fat people, it's not really anyone's business but theirs

inb4 "muh taxes"
Reply 4
You need to watch this OP.

[video="youtube;U708pyoDxM4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U708pyoDxM4[/video]

Spoiler

Reply 5
even as a slightly fat person

I find this mentality awful
Reply 6
Hmmmm
I support those fat people who try everything they can in order to lose weight and aim towards having a better, healthier lifestyle. But them fat people who decide to be couch potatoes and do nothing to reduce the risks of having many health problems are the type of people I look down at and judge. If that makes me a 'fat phobic', then so be it.
Fat acceptance is not what we need. However, an understanding of what makes people fat, and some kind of humanity in our view towards fat people is.

Being fat is usually not about greed - it is a mental issue far more than it is a physical one. Being extremely overweight destroys your life, particularly for young people, as they are almost always ostracised and have no chance of a good social status and partner.

People don't choose that, they just don't know how to get out of the cycle. Dieting often does more harm than good, and maintaining an exercise routine for years can seem impossible to someone who can't even jog 100m. Often people overeat as comfort - how on earth is hating fat people going to improve the situation?

It shouldn't be socially acceptable, but the solution is help, not hate.

For reference, I am not fat, but I have been.
Reply 9
Original post by CJG21
She'd also be smiling if she was slim. And as well as this, she'd have a lower risk of many health problem and would be able to fit through doors properly.

LOL
Original post by Octohedral
Fat acceptance is not what we need. However, an understanding of what makes people fat, and some kind of humanity in our view towards fat people is.

Being fat is usually not about greed - it is a mental issue far more than it is a physical one. Being extremely overweight destroys your life, particularly for young people, as they are almost always ostracised and have no chance of a good social status and partner.

People don't choose that, they just don't know how to get out of the cycle. Dieting often does more harm than good, and maintaining an exercise routine for years can seem impossible to someone who can't even jog 100m. Often people overeat as comfort - how on earth is hating fat people going to improve the situation?

It shouldn't be socially acceptable, but the solution is help, not hate.

For reference, I am not fat, but I have been.

Breathing yoga exercises to loose weight, all you have to do is sit down and do it, eventually after a year you will lose lots of fat!
Original post by euphrosyne
I support those fat people who try everything they can in order to lose weight and aim towards having a better, healthier lifestyle. But them fat people who decide to be couch potatoes and do nothing to reduce the risks of having many health problems are the type of people I look down at and judge. If that makes me a 'fat phobic', then so be it.

There are skinny people who are couch potatoes and laze around, do no exercise, eat like crap etc, but just don't put on weight because of their metabolism. Do you look down on them?
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
There are skinny people who are couch potatoes and laze around, do no exercise, eat like crap etc, but just don't put on weight because of their metabolism. Do you look down on them?

If it counts for anything, I 100% do and have more respect for fat people who are trying to change than I do for the lazy.
Reply 13
I don't really care tbh. The only person's whose body I care about is MINE. I don't see the point in saying "they don't deserve to feel pretty" because if they feel confident in their skin it doesn't matter what you think. It's a waste of your energy looking down on someone because they're not healthy, why do you care about them so much?!
What does that video have to do with fat acceptance? :confused:
I honestly believe that alot of food/drink companies have a lot more to answer for than people think.

It's not always as simple as 'Stop eating that doughnut!'

Ask yourself why so many overweight or obese people are addicted to Coca Cola in particular. It's addictive. It's essentially a drug. The withdrawal symptoms can be compared to that of other drugs. It's why they then feel the need to have Diet Cola (which is bad in itself)

We had nothing like the obesity issues we have now a few decades ago. Now food is pumped with increasing levels of drugs and addictive substances and look at us.
Sadly, it's never going to change though. Too much money and jobs attached these companies.

I've never struggled with my weight, but I've struggled with (what I believe is) sugar addiction (which is another debate entirely).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vixen47
"Fat Acceptance love your body" ...And risk unnecessary health problems, conditions, diseases, issues, illnesses (including mental illness) and so much more.

THIS. Fair enough wanting to feel good about being fat - but being fat is a serious health risk and will potentially put you and your loved onces in harm.
Y'know, the only case when I feel there's a problem is when fat people make themselves out to be 'curvy' and feel proud of 'being a real woman'/'being in my own body'. It's unhealthy. Also, in most cases, I'm pretty sure they inflicted it on themselves.
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!

metabolism is a myth
Original post by yepyepyep
If it counts for anything, I 100% do and have more respect for fat people who are trying to change than I do for the lazy.

That's great, but the thing is, when you look at a fat person in the street, you can't tell whether they're someone who has already lost 5 stone and is continuing to fight to lose weight, or a lazy person.

Just like when you look at a skinny person, you have no idea whether they jog daily, or whether they sit on their arse eating crisps in front of the TV all day.

People tend to judge fat people automatically. Not saying you do, but I'm sure most people do. And it's not fair on them.

Quick Reply

Latest