The Student Room Group

Shy, unconfident and introverted?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinda.college
The whole confidence issue is all in your head, if anything being unconfident is worse than speaking your mind (people can tell when you have got confidence issues and it will make everything seem so much more awkward). You need to discover the source of your problem and realise what makes you introverted. I remember when I was a skinny ****er who had dry skin and I would often shy away from others because I felt I looked inferior. I started to eat properly and regularly go to the gym as a result of an epiphany I had, I realised that if I did not change my ways then I would remain a mere pawn in this world. I started talking to people at the gym, I started to chat with the girls and took them out on dates, I went to university and got good grades, most importantly I changed my perspective of life. I am 110% enjoying life a lot more now because I feel that I am in a better place, you need to reaccess your life and acknowledge where you're going wrong. Only by doing this will you be able to rectify your problems and move forward in a more confident mannerr. It's no easy, but it's definitely not impossible.

Oh, that's interesting! Thank you :h:

Original post by letsbehonest
See my edited post ^^

It's Fady El-Sayed.

Also, presentations aren't that horrible, trust me! Just be prepared, and smile!! Who cares what everyone else thinks? Your presentation is going to be better than that other shy girl that was hiding behind the computer screen.

I did an assembly at my school recently. Well I only had to read out 2 paragraphs and it wasn't as scary as I anticipated

Good ideas, step-by-step :tongue:

Ohh, him!

And I dunno, my stomach goes funny and I talk too fast and uhm and ahs :tongue: I guess :biggrin: I did an assembly too, had to read out a coupla slides on ppt to Year 8, which wasn't too bad and I guess I just have to keep putting myself into that situation

Original post by Are you Shaw?
I like the sound of my own voice and when I speak I speak to be heard, as for strangers if they ignore you when you say hello just shrug the rude bastards off, the nice people will be the ones who at least try and have a conversation with you!

Hmm, that makes sense

Original post by chigyy
Just think about it, why do you care what people in public think of you? You're only gonna see them once in your life. As for in school, well that just comes down to practice I guess, there really isn't a solution, it just happens over time.

By practice I mean join clubs, meet new people. However most importantly raising your self esteem, being confident in yourself will impact on others, you have to be assertive you can't let people walk all over you. If you have an opinion or you know something is right and some idiot is trying to oppose you, stand by what you believe in but at the same time be respectful (that's something 'over confident' don't have, and how I used to be).

Not really the public, but the people I know. I will do this :yes:

Original post by Regency
Speaking from experience if you surround yourself with your real friends, people who you can be yourself then it will help you be more confident. Also if someone is looking at you just smile because who cares what anyone else thinks.

I am REALLY confident with friends, its just when im not with them
Original post by Robbie242
When it comes to new classes though it takes me a few weeks to settle in. Like you know hand gestures, and kissing on the cheek stuff, I never do that lol, far too awkward for me
Probably bad at small talk but yeah when conversing with people I'm not familiar with, like I'll ask what they study and what they enjoy doing I suppose but after the moment I realise I have nothing in common with them the conversation dies or descends into uni talk

Oh my God, same! I cant do hugs :tongue:

And I know exactly what you mean about the dying conversation :giggle:
Reply 22
I used to be a lot more like this - I'm not exactly sure how/when I changed to become more confident. I am still not extremely extroverted or confident, but I think I had a kind of 'solid foundation' to work on. By that I mean I'm internally quite confident, have strong inner conviction and feel like I know who I am and am just generally quite accepting of myself. I think this is the case for a lot of introverted people; is it the same for you? If not, there is always time to build it. It's just a learning process. Once you decide you know who you are, it's easier to not care what people think. You've probably heard this before, but there is LITERALLY no way to make everyone like you. Just act how you want to and people will either a) love you b) accept you c) not like you - but there's no point in being friends with people who don't like you for who you are so it doesn't matter. And you can still get on with people even if they don't love you. It's very freeing once you realise this!

I think the catalysts to me becoming more likely to speak out and being less afraid of what people thought of me were having challenges that I just had to throw myself into. For example, I went on this residential open day type thing at a university with a ton of strangers my own age, and found it was actually quite easy to talk to them because they had no preconceptions of what I was like. I'd say just force yourself to talk to people a bit more - it's hard and you may have to resort to the boring 'how are you?' at first, but once the ice is broken just ask lots of questions and make random remarks in lessons and so on. Just share your thoughts a bit more. There's no easy way to do it, but just make yourself do little things like that, like contributing in class more. It will get so much easier over time and you will begin to not even think about doing it. Don't overthink things.

As for speaking on the phone, I hate that too and am literally terrible. I tend to sweat a lot out of fear? But just prepare what you're going to say and write down key points and questions. Go somewhere where you're alone and just take a deep breath and go for it. Just try to be very calm and give yourself time to think.
(edited 10 years ago)
Grow a pair and just speak your mind, it's not that hard. You obviously have a lot to say on this site so just speak up in real life.

Sorry but that is an incredibly insensitive and cavalier response to make. Introversion is hardwired in to who you are, and while you can try over long periods of time to build up trustful relationships with people you are comfortable talking to, it is not something to just snap out of. Extroverts can be all 'Ooh, it's nothing, just go up and introduce yourself, stop being such a party-pooper, stop being so self-obsessed, yadayadayada,' whilst understanding nothing of the pressure the introvert is under to try and conform to this idea of society. Typing is far easier than having to try and sustain a face to face conversation.
Original post by nivvy21
x

I'm exactly the same, really awkward in pretty much every social scenario

- Can't make small talk
- Friends often stare at the ground when with me
- Can't talk to new people
- Find it hard to adjust to new situations/classes and make new friends
- Making conversation is like a chore to me

I'm fine in class and can ask questions and explain stuff to other people, but when it comes to anything that isn't related to school or some kind of school work, I become really awkward to be around :frown:
Original post by kapoww
I used to be a lot more like this - I'm not exactly sure how/when I changed to become more confident. I am still not extremely extroverted or confident, but I think I had a kind of 'solid foundation' to work on. By that I mean I'm internally quite confident, have strong inner conviction and feel like I know who I am and am just generally quite accepting of myself. I think this is the case for a lot of introverted people; is it the same for you? If not, there is always time to build it. It's just a learning process. Once you decide you know who you are, it's easier to not care what people think. You've probably heard this before, but there is LITERALLY no way to make everyone like you. Just act how you want to and people will either a) love you b) accept you c) not like you - but there's no point in being friends with people who don't like you for who you are so it doesn't matter. And you can still get on with people even if they don't love you. It's very freeing once you realise this!

I think the catalysts to me becoming more likely to speak out and being less afraid of what people thought of me were having challenges that I just had to throw myself into. For example, I went on this residential open day type thing at a university with a ton of strangers my own age, and found it was actually quite easy to talk to them because they had no preconceptions of what I was like. I'd say just force yourself to talk to people a bit more - it's hard and you may have to resort to the boring 'how are you?' at first, but once the ice is broken just ask lots of questions and make random remarks in lessons and so on. Just share your thoughts a bit more. There's no easy way to do it, but just make yourself do little things like that, like contributing in class more. It will get so much easier over time and you will begin to not even think about doing it. Don't overthink things.

As for speaking on the phone, I hate that too and am literally terrible. I tend to sweat a lot out of fear? But just prepare what you're going to say and write down key points and questions. Go somewhere where you're alone and just take a deep breath and go for it. Just try to be very calm and give yourself time to think.

I guess internally, im really confident, its just around other people, im not so. And I want to please everyone, so I guess that's my problem :tongue: Truee, if they don't like you, then there IS no point in being friends with them

I literally how no idea how to talk to people beyond "how are you" "what subjects are doing?" "what year are you in?" "what uni course have you applied to?", but looking at these qs, I guess a lot of conversational topics stem from them :dontknow:

I will do this :yes:

I guess I do make random remarks, but my voice goes really quiet and they don't hear it or they ask "What?" and I cannot be bothered to repeat, so I leave it

Ooh, that's a good idea!

Thank youuu! :h:
Reply 26
I'm introverted, but not shy at all. I love being introverted and that makes me quite confident.

I also like people a lot, but from a distance. I now never talk to people (that includes family) unless I have to or they or I want to exchange information. It has its problems - for example people can think you are standoffish - which I'm really not, I just don't have a natural source of chattiness in my head - or some people may not want to work with you because you are too "weird" for them. But liking myself has made me mostly indifferent to these problems.
Original post by majmuh24
I'm exactly the same, really awkward in pretty much every social scenario

- Can't make small talk
- Friends often stare at the ground when with me
- Can't talk to new people
- Find it hard to adjust to new situations/classes and make new friends
- Making conversation is like a chore to me

I'm fine in class and can ask questions and explain stuff to other people, but when it comes to anything that isn't related to school or some kind of school work, I become really awkward to be around :frown:

Wouldn't say Im as extreme as this

But have you asked your friends why they do that?

Original post by llys
I'm introverted, but not shy at all. I love being introverted and that makes me quite confident.

I also like people a lot, but from a distance. I now never talk to people (that includes family) unless I have to or they or I want to exchange information. It has its problems - for example people can think you are standoffish - which I'm really not, I just don't have a natural source of chattiness in my head - or some people may not want to work with you because you are too "weird" for them. But liking myself has made me mostly indifferent to these problems.

Yes, this, exactly! Some people think Im stuck up and im really not :no:
Reply 28
Grow a pair and just speak your mind, it's not that hard. You obviously have a lot to say on this site so just speak up in real life.

perhaps you are lucky, but some people cant help the way they are, unless of course you can give us a detailed report about how to combat shyness
Original post by ManicsGirl97
Sorry but that is an incredibly insensitive and cavalier response to make. Introversion is hardwired in to who you are, and while you can try over long periods of time to build up trustful relationships with people you are comfortable talking to, it is not something to just snap out of. Extroverts can be all 'Ooh, it's nothing, just go up and introduce yourself, stop being such a party-pooper, stop being so self-obsessed, yadayadayada,' whilst understanding nothing of the pressure the introvert is under to try and conform to this idea of society. Typing is far easier than having to try and sustain a face to face conversation.

Original post by Snakebite
perhaps you are lucky, but some people cant help the way they are, unless of course you can give us a detailed report about how to combat shyness

Agreeed!
Original post by nivvy21
Wouldn't say Im as extreme as this

But have you asked your friends why they do that?

They don't exactly stare at the ground all the time, it's just something they do when I struggle to make conversation (which is a lot of the time :tongue:)

I also don't really do that much physical contact with people (like hugging and similar stuff) and I'm just pretty introverted in general

Most of the time, I don't have much to say to people apart from the usual "How you doing", "What lessons do you have", and "What have you chosen for sixth form" which is also pretty awkward :s-smilie:
Original post by majmuh24
They don't exactly stare at the ground all the time, it's just something they do when I struggle to make conversation (which is a lot of the time :tongue:)

I also don't really do that much physical contact with people (like hugging and similar stuff) and I'm just pretty introverted in general

Most of the time, I don't have much to say to people apart from the usual "How you doing", "What lessons do you have", and "What have you chosen for sixth form" which is also pretty awkward :s-smilie:

Oh, I see :tongue:

I LOVE hugs, but I cant do it

And defo agree about the conversation topics!
Original post by Fryschia
I agree with everything you said here. I am quite a reserved and overly sensitive person, and I don't really know how to have a proper conversation with anyone that I don't feel 100% comfortable with.

It's horrible to live this way, and I know this very well, but I cannot just act like I'm extroverted and get away with it. I am an extremely insecure girl, which doesn't go well with my naturally reserved and quiet personality.

I feel like nobody understands, which makes me feel less worthy, which in turn makes my self-esteem go down. It's a never-ending cycle.

Sometimes, my friends will laugh at me in front of the class because they don't care if somebody laughs at them, since they can easily deal with it if somebody were to laugh at them. I am very sensitive, however, and cannot deal with people publicly embarrassing me. I just don't know how to respond and defend myself.

I'm sorry for this long post, but I felt like I had to get some of this out.

No problem :console:

Im really sensitive too, I cry at everything! :tongue:
Original post by nivvy21
No problem :console:

Im really sensitive too, I cry at everything! :tongue:

Can I just say..if thats your true avatar, Stunner!:O

anywho..I find people stereotype yeh,so as some man said,you gotta put out a good first impression and hopefully keep it:P,
you say youre really confident underneath which is amazing to begin trust me,
I think all you need is maybe a lil prep and PRACTICE.
I tend to find its very hard to be more confident and talkative with people whove already put you in a box...,
youre quiet maybe so if you say a joke itd have to be really good to get that a good reaction.
thats why I think strangers are your friends here.
people on the street or bus,people even here,chat to them or give them a call,
youll find yourself finding it easier and even enjoying yourself,
final tip is learn to care less about what others are thinking..
you say youre over confident inside so show it,
speak as though this guy is one of the few chatting yeh up today...
Bonne chance madame :smile:
I'm ok with presentations actually, yeah, sure I get a bit nervous before, but it's fine when I get going.

Otherwise, I reckon I'm much the same. It does help you to think about things though, when you are not talking to people, which is a good thing up to the point when people lose interest in you.
I've become slightly aloof since I started uni. I don't know why, I just find the environment so intimidating for some reason.
Original post by ManicsGirl97

Read my second post on the first page, I used to be a introvert so I know what it's like to be an introvert. How is it insensitive, I'm such saying it how it is. Only the OP can step up and change her life, nobody else.

Original post by Snakebite

Read my second post on the first page.
Story of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole confidence issue is all in your head, if anything being unconfident is worse than speaking your mind (people can tell when you have got confidence issues and it will make everything seem so much more awkward). You need to discover the source of your problem and realise what makes you introverted. I remember when I was a skinny ****er who had dry skin and I would often shy away from others because I felt I looked inferior. I started to eat properly and regularly go to the gym as a result of an epiphany I had, I realised that if I did not change my ways then I would remain a mere pawn in this world. I started talking to people at the gym, I started to chat with the girls and took them out on dates, I went to university and got good grades, most importantly I changed my perspective of life. I am 110% enjoying life a lot more now because I feel that I am in a better place, you need to reaccess your life and acknowledge where you're going wrong. Only by doing this will you be able to rectify your problems and move forward in a more confident manner. It's not easy, but it's definitely not impossible.

Great advice mate!!!
Introvert, shy, no self esteem, confidence, or self worth.
Hate my looks and that's the reason why I find it hard to make friends. Also think I have nothing good to say.
Sucks :P I need to change...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending